Arrowhead Find

dutchman

I found this "rock" while on a camping trip with the Scout Troop this past weekend. Found it in southern Rabun County near Tallulah Gorge. This is the first arrowhead I've ever found, assuming it is "authentic." What can some of y'all tell me about it without knowing much of anything about the area?

Attachments

• point.jpg
    point.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 289

dutchman

Better photo

Attachments

• point a.jpg
    point a.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 275

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
arrowhead

Not many features showing it to be an arrowhead. Could just be a pointed quartz rock. But there are some shaped like that belonging to the Woodland period. 500 BC to 500 AD.

matthewsman

Nice rock?

I have a few white quartz arrow heads.They always feel or look a little oily to me.I think they are heat-treated.I'm sure Nic will know....It is an arrowhead,the toolmarks are readily apparent.I've often wondered if our Indians /Native Americans in the piedmont had less skill,or if quartz is much harder to work than flint:huh:

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Donnie, quartz doesn`t take well to heat treatin` and was and is worked "raw". Quartz is also a LOT harder to work than flint, and you have less control of the stone due to its makeup. The Indians had the skill, they were just workin` a type of stone that is harder than woodpecker lips.
Post a pic of your points if you can. I`d like to see em.