Article quoting some Woodyites about hunting

Researcher31726

Gone But Not Forgotten
Hope you don't mind my posting my 02/09 column, "The Outdoor Scene," from The Citizen News. Todd Whittaker (aka volguy) and Michael Ghorley (aka GA Dawg) gave me some more good quotes about QU and quail hunting, and the UKC Winter Classic and coonhunting respectively. Also, I mentioned Michael Lee's TV show. I put the copy in bold about them.
And I have some more notes from some other of you Woodyites to share in future columns, too!
Thanks for your help, fellas!

The Outdoor Scene
By Sue Jones

There are all sorts of ways to support a good cause: financially (giving money), publicizing it (spreading the word around to your neighbors and others), donating free labor to help get certain tasks done…The list is endless. Tim Edmondson, owner of Edmondson Custom Bikes, has in a sense done it two ways to help raise money for wildlife conservation. He has built a “wild turkey motorcycle,” which he will be presenting to Rob Keck, the CEO of the National Wild Turkey Federation in Laws Vegas this coming Saturday morning at the Shooting Hunting and Outdoor Trade Show.
“Edmondson's zeal for the outdoors and passion for hunting the wild turkey inspired him to create the one-of-a-kind bike along with generous financial support from O. F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. The successful restoration of the wild turkey in North America would not have come about if not for the generosity of outdoorsmen like Tim and industry leaders like Mossberg," Keck said recently in announcing the custom-built motorbike. "Thanks to them, one very lucky person will ride off with this beautiful work of art knowing the great things it has done for the conservation of the wild turkey and the protection of our hunting heritage."
The NWTF will be taking the wild turkey chopper on a tour throughout the US to help spotlight what is being done to conserve the gobbler and hens. It will be a featured “guest” at many NWTF banquets, outdoor events, bike rallies, and the 30th Annual NWTF Convention and Sport Show later this month in Nashville. Raffle tickets will be offered at the various appearances and through the NWTF’s website, with the winning ticket being drawn later.
Okay, we know the weather lately has been kinda “icky.” Deer season is out, although the taxidermists are working hard on their creations for the various hunters, and the hunters themselves are planning what they want to put in their food plots or fields to help Mama Nature with all her pretty critters. However, there is still a lot going on in the outdoors!
Mr. Charles Andrew with Top Bait and Tackle in on US 82 in Cuthbert confirmed Saturday there the weather is playing a part in what is done outdoors. “We’ve had quite a few changes of weather lately,” agreed Mr. Charles. “The rain, fresh water, and the wind are affecting the fishermen. It’s still early in the season. Fishing is yet to get here, especially with the wind slowing up everyone.”
“We have some fishermen who are trying to go out,” said Rob Plowden, with Hixon’s Trading Post on the Cuthbert Square, “but the wind and early morning rain we had is making a difference. Some of the fishermen are waiting for the wind to lie down before they go after the panfish and bass.”
“We have a big selection of artificial bait, hard and soft, that people are checking on when they’re getting ready to go fishing,” added Mr. Bob Whatley, of B & B Guns in Edison. The Calhoun County store owner—like many others—has listened to his customers to see what they needed and wanted. Adding fishing gear and supplies to his inventory was one of the additions requested for when “fishing isn’t so slow.” He acknowledged that he has gotten a “good reception” from the folks who check out the creeks, river, family pond, or lake to see what they’re going to have for supper. .
“We have a few who are doing some small game hunting,” stated Mr. Charles. “Mainly, right now they are going on hog hunts. There are a lot of hogs in the area, and people are trying to work down their numbers by trapping and hunting. Some are even running dogs to catch them.”
“They’re getting after the wild hogs on the different properties now,” agreed Rob. “The hunters enjoy going out during the cold weather to bag the hogs. We, also, have some hunters coming by to get what they need to go squirrel and rabbit hunting. We have more customers who are into squirrel hunting than rabbits right now.”
“We have quite a few in the Calhoun and Early Counties’ area who are setting their sights on small game hunting now that deer season is over, and turkey hasn’t started yet,” commented Mr. Whatley. “They are going after rabbits, squirrels, hogs, and coyotes.” He shared, “Some of the ranchers from Early County are coming in here, telling me that they are having a real problem with coyotes. Not only are the ‘yotes going after wildlife, but they are, also, killing and eating domesticated animals, like calves, piglets, and lambs. I’ve been working on some rifles for the ranchers that can reach out and touch those predators.”
“The deer hunters are talking about what they are going to put in their spring plots,” said the Top Bait owner. “They’re getting their feeders back out to help give the deer some nutrients during the winter months.”
And that gobble that you hear in the woods or on the field may not be exactly a longbeard or a hen. It’s possible that it’s an outdoorsman, practicing and scouting to see what type of turkey population there is around. “We have a lot of the hunters checking on their blinds and doing a lot of scouting for the turkeys,” noted Rob.
I’ve been hearing about an exciting real-life hunting show that originates in southwest Georgia. Michael Lee, is the host for Southern Backwoods Adventure, which you can catch on The Men's Channel (218 on Dish Network). It even can be seen in Canada and on Wild TV. Try to catch it if you can!
Last week, Todd Whittaker, of north Georgia, helped us with some information about the Quail Unlimited Celebrity Hunt held in Albany. We talked with him some more about the wildlife conservation and hunting. “I do extensive travel throughout the US to hunt upland birds and waterfowl,” Todd said. “Quail have become a true passion and obsession over the last few years since I became actively involved in QU. There is a lot of work to be done, but with the general public’s help and involvement, we CAN make a difference in the quail population.” He asserted, “There are already many, many signs that the populations are starting to come back in several areas across the US and in Georgia. I encourage everyone I come into contact with that enjoys the outdoors to get involved. The work we do in QU not only benefits quail, but ALL wildlife.” Todd has been quail hunting since he was “a little kid. My dad grew up hunting in west Tennessee, and he always had dogs. I began training and running my own dogs about 5 years ago.” Whittaker, who has been involved in QU for three years, currently has two English pointers and two Labs.
Michael Ghorley, of Cumming, was among the folks out in the woods and fields that same weekend at night participating in the UKC Coon hound Winter Classic. He shared some information described coon hunting,” I spectated with a buddy both nights at the winter classic. I didn’t hunt my own dogs. He didn’t win but we met a lot of good folks and managed to tree 5 coons. I have 2 walker hounds MOUSE TRAP and HABITS NOCTURNAL RAGE. I've been hunting about 15 years. We hardly ever shoot any coons just tree them. Nothing like a cold night in the woods with your hounds. They let out that big bawl or chop. Letting me know they have found the quarry that I'm after. This could go on for a few min or 45 minutes. Then I hear mine let out a screaming locate, letting me know they have put that coon up a tree. Then they start settling in to a steady chop, letting me know they will be at that tree until I arrive to leash them up. I'll promise I know of nothing better than that sound!!! It’s something to listen too!!”
“Coon hunting just gets in your blood and nothing can compare to it. It’s very thrilling when a young pup you’ve raised and taught trees his first coon and finally figures out what has been bred into him for decades. They are born to HUNT!” Michael continued. He is an avid hunter, hunting “everything. Deer hunting and turkey hunting are my next favorites. Sad thing is coon hunting places are running out. There’s a lot of growth where I'm at in north Georgia. About the only way to have a sizable piece of land to hunt is get in a deer club.”
Michael pointed out that there are some misconceptions about coon hunting. “When you tell most of the deer club members that you coon hunt, they don’t want you in it. They are afraid you will run off all the deer. It’s just plain and simple; they don’t.” He pointed out, “I killed a 140" buck less than 50 yards where I treed a coon the night before. It’s a dying sport around these parts. Back 10 to 15 years ago at my local coon club on a night hunt we had 50 to 60 dogs. Now at that same club we have anywhere from 4 to 12 dogs!! From what I understand it’s about the same all over the country.”
We try to give a lot of press to the different groups that give to those in need or for special causes. The Fishermen for the Hungry and the Hunters for the Hungry are two groups that I try to follow. Michael supplied a list of charities in 2005 that coon hunters have helped, either by sponsoring hunts or donating money out-right. They are some that we southwest Georgians know: St. Jude Children’s Hospital, Cystic Fibrosis, Shriners Children’s Hospitals, Relay for Life, Lights of Opportunity, American Cancer Society, Hunt of a Lifetime, Western Arkansas Children’s Foundation, Riley’s Hospital, Crusade for Children, Hilman House, Loving Care Hospice, Wolfson Children’s Hospital, Mountain Regional Hospice, Arkansas State Children’s Hospital, IWK Children’s Hospital, Ronald McDonald House, National Kidney Foundation, Up With Families, and Starbrite Foundation.
What do students interested in art, the US Fish and Wildlife Service, college, ducks, geese, and swans have to do with each other? The Georgia DNR is wanting to remind young artists, grades Kindergarten through 12th, that they are eligible to submit an entry to the 2006 Georgia Junior Duck Stamp Art Competition, sponsored by the USFWS. “The contest is both an art and science program designed to teach wetlands habitat and waterfowl conservation,” described the DNR Wildlife Resources Division, in announcing the contest which ends on March 15th. “Each entry has to be an original, hand drawn or painted creation of a North American duck, goose or swan.” Students can be enrolled either in public, private, or home schools to participate. Prizes include scholarships. For more information, please call (706) 613-9493 or go to the website www.fws.gov/duckstamps
If you happen to be in the area of Lake Lanier on March 11th, maybe you can plan to fish in the West Hall Dugout Club Bass Tournament that weekend. Bill Chandler asked me to help spread the word for this fund-raising event. Bill said that you can either fish solo or as a team, saying that last year’s winners include a male/female team. For more information, please call Bill at (678) 687-9633 or email him at billchandler@charter.net. The entry fee is $50 with a 50 % payback going to the top three boats. However, if more than 25 boats join, then, the tourney will pay 1 in 5. They, also, raffle off door prizes, including a $100 GAS CARD, so there’s plenty of fun for all.
Also, on February 25th, there will be a Benefit Fishing Tournament at Big Oaks near the Dam in Lake Hartwell. The funds raised will go directly to a young single mom working as a waitress at one of the local restaurants, the Tugaloo Fishing Hole/Campfire Grill. She had a massive heart attack in late January and has no insurance. Prizes include Daiwa Procaster reels and surf and turf dinners from the Grill, a one-day guided Striper Trip on Lake Hartwell from “The Dark Side,” and an assortment of lures. Entry fee is $50, with all the money going to the young lady. For more information, please contact Darrell Huntsinger at (706) 376-3474.
I hope you get to spend some time outdoors this week with ....... What’s that, Smokey? You want to show me where the rabbits are? OK, Mommy’s coming!