Auto Pistol

olroy

i'm looking to buy a new auto pistol, i have one colt 45 officers model and i'm think of getting a smith 40 cal in something what would you recomend?
don't know much about auto's , i shot alot of single action though.

Razorback

Well opinions are like . . . noses everybody's got one.

What will you do with the weapon? carry, plink or both?

For Carry. . .
Carry on yourself?
In bag/fanny pack?
Can you clear a jammed auto under stress?

Lots of questions to ask yourself but only you can answer them. Some gun shops have an indoor shooting range w/ lots of guns for rent, try that. Bullseye gun shop in Lawrenceville is one I have gone to and been pleased with.

I have a custom 1911 .45ACP that is fun to shoot but heavy to carry. When I carry it with me, it has a 7 round mag + one in the chamber, cocked & locked and another 8 round mag handy. My daily carry gun is a Glock M22 .40S&W w/ M3 accessory light. Sometimes its carried in a Small Of the Back holster or in a fanny pack. I think the Glock M22 shoots softer than any other .40S&W I have shot before.

Right now I'm looking for LIGHTWEIGHT, SMALL & COMPACT single stack 9mm or .40S&W for up close & personal protection. I had the Glock M27 which is Glock's Sub-Compact .40S&W. It was fun to shoot but I sold it it to help pay for the custom 1911. Kinda wish I kept that gun.

I better stop rambling on here. Hope this helps, good luck.

Razorback

olroy

thanks

for the reply i have never owned a glock and have only shot one. to tell you the truth i never liked then because they don't have a standard saftey.
heard about to many deputies years back drawing and shooting there self in the rump.

Randy

IMO there is not a better gun than the Glock Sizes vary depending on your needs so you can choose your size. The good thig is the magazins from the larger sizes fit and work in the smaller sizes as "back-up." There are many that believe in tthe 1911 style guns. Basically because you cna do so much to them. The problem I have seen is for them to be dependable, you have to do something to them. The Glock is just and industructable, accurate, and reliable, and relatively inexpensive gun. These are the reasons most law enforcement departments have gone to them.

As far a safety, the Glock has several. There is no measure of safety that will protect against bad or no training or stupidity.

Last edited:

Razorback

olroy,

Yea I agreed with you about the Glock & not having a manual safety. Thats why I started out w/ a Ruger P85 9mm. HEAVY but reliable. After I got comfortable with it I bought a used Glock M22. Yes, the trigger feels like the old Daisey pistol (the one that looked like a 1911 w/ tip up barrel to load pellets, bb's or darts) has no manual safety, but the thing works every time I pull the trigger whether clean or dirty. Won't rust, takes a beating banging off stuff when hunting and still works.

Like I mentioned earlier go to a gun shop w/ a shooting range & try a few rental guns. Then spend the money & time on some instruction, ammo, maybe some competition, IPSC, IDPA, & Glock's GSSF matches. IPSC can be intimidating for the first time , IDPA can be stressfully & Glock's can be sedate & fun.

Any trigger time you can get with any brand of auto will help in your confidence in your weapon of choice.

Larry Rooks

S&W makes an awesome 1911 style auto now, looks great and feels great, heard nothing but good about it. I still shose the Kimber Royal though, love it

Handgunner

olroy said:
for the reply i have never owned a glock and have only shot one. to tell you the truth i never liked then because they don't have a standard saftey.
heard about to many deputies years back drawing and shooting there self in the rump.

There's a simple solution for that -- Not putting your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot.

I personally don't like the Glocks for one reason - The spongy triggers. After years of carrying/shooting a Colt Lightweight Commander .45acp I got used to a smooth, crisp trigger.

I would recommend going with either a 9mm or .45acp though. Both calibers are easy to find cheap ammo for. If you like plinking like I do, the army surplus ammo is cheap to come by, and no matter what you carry, the more practice you have, the better off and more confident you'll be.

A hot 9mm +P+, is about equal to a .40 when it comes to self-defense, and I dont' think a criminal will be able to tell the difference either way.

dixie

.45apc

I carry a Springfield 1911 FBI model , I also have a Springfield Sub Compact officers model in .45, I like both, but for wearing, I prefer the FBI model, simply because it's lighter. I'm happy with the preformance of both. I use either a holster or shoulder rig, it just depends on where I'm going to be or doing.

Schulze

randy this is a glock. I will NEVER buy a new glock. Glock will NEVER get a dime of my money for personal reasons.

blt21a.jpg

Randy

Sorry you had a bad experience. I would have to say that I have seen more 1911's blow up during competitions than I have Glocks but it can happen to any of them.

So what is the story? Is (excuse me) was this your personal Glock?

Schulze

Randy that was not my glock. Glocks have had some problems in their 40 cal line with KB's and full power defense loads.

I have DEEP personal issues with glock revolving around something that happend last year at their place in Smyrna.

I also know someone who help to test the 9mm 17 for special forces and it failed miserably.

I will have to tell ya my reasons for my hatred for glock some time.

I have shot the 9mm 19 and a 22 and the small 40. hated the 40's. I also dislike plastic. So I am not commenting from a non user point of view.

I also know several people who are very happy with their glocks so it seems to be either you love them or hate them lol.

I like the controls of the HK better than a glock, but the HK is wide and bulky. Out of the polymer/plastic pistols I would have to pic HK.

I am either going to carry a sig 220 or a springfield 1911. For a range only gun I may even pic up a glock 34. I handled a police friend of mines and I like it. the longer slide really helped in the balance. But I do have ham hocks for hands and the HK and 1911 and Sig fits great.