Awning over garage door opening

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
We really didn’t want to install garage doors but tired of rain getting too far in on the floor…..

Looking at putting an awning over the door openings……anyone have an awning over theirs?

Pros / cons and if you had to do it again what would you do different?

Last edited:

westcobbdog

Spot my daughter has the same issue with leaking thru both existing metal garage doors, they kinda face the weather, southward, and also have a negative slope, not at the driveway pour but at the garage slab pour. Thinking a few 10 ft wide awnings of frame over each door with a shingle roof may be the ticket. She has asphalt shingles, guessing rest of materials around $225 per door at most.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
Spot my daughter has the same issue with leaking thru both existing metal garage doors, they kinda face the weather, southward, and also have a negative slope, not at the driveway pour but at the garage slab pour. Thinking a few 10 ft wide awnings of frame over each door with a shingle roof may be the ticket. She has asphalt shingles, guessing rest of materials around $225 per door at most.
The carport facing the weather is our problem - doesn’t take much breeze at all and half the floor is damp.

We’re looking at putting metal on it since our home has a metal roof.

Spotlite

Resident Homesteader
I think it's more looks than anything. Our 26x30 open carport will be completely soaked on a day like today except for the very middle.
Probably right. I think we’re going to play with one side on the next rain by putting tarps over the door openings.

If that works we might co consider roll up doors……ours are 10 foot wide.

Stroker

Probably right. I think we’re going to play with one side on the next rain by putting tarps over the door openings.

If that works we might co consider roll up doors……ours are 10 foot wide.
I've got a 12 x 12 foot roll up in my shop facing west where we get most of our bad weather from and can't keep a windy driven rain out. I have looked at the glue down raised seals to slow or stop the rain but I like the smooth transition to the outside pad. I just keep a squeeze and mop handy for now.

Latest posts