Back Of Beyond Browns And A Reunion Of Sorts

whitetailfreak

A cousin of mine who lives in Western North Carolina and I have been trying to coordinate our schedules for sometime and make a backcoutry trip into one of our favorite watersheds in the Smokies. His grandmother, like my grandfather was born and raised on Hazel Creek and lived there until being forced out by the creation of the GSMNP. This trip found us on a different creek, one that I have fished for 30 + years but somehow I felt like I was cheating on Ms. Hazel. I had to laugh as I looked back at my truck and saw my tag that reads "I'd Rather Be On Hazel Creek".

We began our 7 mile hike to camp in the Fir/Spruce forest and descended from an elevation of around 5500 ft. Flame Azaleas were glowing along the trail.
Screenshot_20220620-070107~2.png

Massive Poplars tower over the cove hardwoods like an eternal guardian.
Screenshot_20220620-070118~2.png

Although its fate is predetermined I still enjoy seeing an American Chestnut and thinking about what once was.
Screenshot_20220620-070054~2.png

We have made good time and no rolled ankles. We've made it to the creek.
Screenshot_20220620-070150~2.png

We make our way upstream and set up camp.
Screenshot_20220620-070213~2.png

By this time the sun had disappeared behind the mountains and we were hungry. We quickly strung our fly rods and eased up the creek. We pack light on these trips and fried trout is supper everyday in the backcountry. Within an hour we had plenty for supper and some of the purdiest wild Brown Trout you'll find in the Park. We deviated from our typical dress and fry with the heads on and filleted our catch on a flat rock and in just a few minutes we were feeding on a plate of vittles city folks would pay good money for. I asked my cousin "wonder what the poor folks are doing?"
Screenshot_20220620-070417~2.png
Screenshot_20220620-070308~2.pngScreenshot_20220620-070332~2.png

We stayed for 3 more days and did nothing more than fish, sleep, eat trout and sit by the camp fire. It was a good week where I saw few people and enjoyed catching up with my cousin. Hopefully we'll do it again soon.
Screenshot_20220620-070359~3.png

Last edited:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
:rockon:
Brother, it doesn't get any better than that, but I don't have to tell you that! I'm going to try to get in there before the end of the summer.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member

bany

You fellas had a time, Awesome trip!

Taxman

I'm not eating astronaut food ;)
I have cut back on the Astronaut food! An OBGYN friend of mine has developed
some powdered meal replacement packets for women. Much lighter than the freeze dried food. It also makes your chest tingle!! I think after a couple more trips with the stuff I will be able to legally use the girls bathroom in NC!!! lol:))))

pbradley

Awesome! Would dearly love to take a trip like that someday.

whitetailfreak

I have cut back on the Astronaut food! An OBGYN friend of mine has developed
some powdered meal replacement packets for women. Much lighter than the freeze dried food. It also makes your chest tingle!! I think after a couple more trips with the stuff I will be able to legally use the girls bathroom in NC!!! lol:))))

We'll keep that between us :ROFLMAO: