Backfire 1 MOA Challenge

deerslayer357

Well I had to try it- aiming point was the red dot.

Close, anyway. Got the group, just needs 1-2 clicks right on the scope.
Rifle is a Stock Ruger M77 Hawkeye Predator 6.5 creedmoor with handloads - 5 shots at 100 yards.

Attachments

• IMG_2956.jpeg
    IMG_2956.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 33

Long Cut

This would be a good place to discuss proper measuring..

What actually IS proper?

I've heard:

Measure the outsides.

Measure the centers.

Measure the outsides, and subtract the bullet diameter.

I don't get all crazy about group size.

For precision, one hole/all touching is good enough, anything else ain't...:ROFLMAO:
Personally I measure center to center on the furthest shots. It doesn’t matter very much to me, though. Just getting out there and shooting is what really matters here.

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Been following this thread.
Question.

When trying this, are you shooting 1 cold shot and 4 warm barrel shots afterwards or waiting in between shots.

I would think you would want to shoot 2 or 3 shots and then shoot for MOA.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
Question.

When trying this, are you shooting 1 cold shot and 4 warm barrel shots afterwards or waiting in between shots.

With that LTR I used for my last target, I just shoot. It goes back to what we did with our swat rifles at the PD.

For the sake of uniformity, when we shot a weekly target, the rifle got one pass with a dry brush, then two pulls of a bore snake with a little RemOil sprayed on it.

That's all the cleaning those guns ever got.

That's how my LTR has been treated for near 30 years, and it will always put three in one ragged hole, if I do my part.

Is this proper procedure? Probably not, but it works.

transfixer

Question.

Don't know about others, but that was what I always did, at least two shots before I tried for a group

Jim Boyd

I can hit most anything, as long as it is about the size of a barn!

IIRC that was a 350 Legend.

The red cover up dot at 10 o clock was probably when I was barn-hunting!!!

69845259894__D74BBF67-D974-4DB9-9FAA-2D28F040ECBD.jpeg

Jester896

Senior Clown
if CFB and HFB are the same then shoot. if CCB, CFB and HFB all three have different POI...well shucks

if it is a heavy barrel I will fire five, if it is hunting/sporter profile 3 would be my limit. Might be better to let it cool between shots.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
With that LTR I used for my last target, I just shoot. It goes back to what we did with our swat rifles at the PD.

For the sake of uniformity, when we shot a weekly target, the rifle got one pass with a dry brush, then two pulls of a bore snake with a little RemOil sprayed on it.

That's all the cleaning those guns ever got.

That's how my LTR has been treated for near 30 years, and it will always put three in one ragged hole, if I do my part.

Is this proper procedure? Probably not, but it works.
I got interrupted while ago, but here's a little more to think about, and discuss.

We all hear about cold bore, fouling shots, hot bore, on and on and etc...

If you start with a squeaky clean barrel every time, it's going to take a few shots for it to settle down and do right.

How many shots? 5, 10, more?

How many shots before the barrel temperature begins to effect things? 5, 10, more?

How many shots can you yourself get off, before your own performance starts to suffer?

I think that adding all this up contributes a bunch of variables that it's hard for a shooter to overcome. If you have brought two or three rifles to the range, then you just doubled or tripled your variables on a morning range trip where you gotta be somewhere at 1130.

Then you clean your guns back to squeaky before the next trip to the range, and start the whole thing over again...

I am of the opinion that a reasonably dirty barrel is a happy barrel.

I mentioned my old departmental cleaning regimen of in/out with a brush, and two swipes with a snake.

This was actually done so that there was a simple answer/explanation for the lawsuit in case we ever had to shoot somebody in the head, but I believe that it removes some variables, and over time creates a barrel that you can count on.

I know for sure that my old 700 LTR will do it's thing after 30 years and probably 1000 rounds, with only the cleaning method I've described.

After all, it was the rifle I reached for when I wanted to shoot a group for this thread. When I got done, I brushed it once, snaked it twice, and put it up.

I ain't gotta wonder if it's ready, it is...

Jester896

Senior Clown
the majority of my rifles I track the 3. My main thing about a consecutive round count is heat and possible erosion. I don't want it to get so hot that it can add to throat erosion. A heavy barrel would dissipate heat better and could allow more consecutive shots.

Since you are using the LTR as an example I will use the 700P I traded for my LTR. The CCB shot was about 1" higher than CFB or HFB. Once the round count got up to about 50-60 it would start to open up the group.

My cleaning method is a little different than yours. I saturated the bore with whatever solvent I choose to use. Saturate a nylon brush and give it about 25+ passes out and back then patch it out, look to see if there was any copper in it and if there was, I cleaned it again. I think the round count on the rifle when it left was over 1500. It shot the same way every time I shot it.

My .260 gets about the same treatment except I have to do something to get the moly out.

A borescope of some type can be a good thing. I can't count the times I have bought a gun that wouldn't shoot after looking through one. Once it was cleaned it was much better if not real good.

If I had a rifle that took 10 fouling shots to bring it in I might find it a new home...I said that out loud...but I will heat my .22 up that much to settle it in :D

I do have a few bore snakes, however, I don't use them to clean a gun. Many people do and if it works for you continue to do it.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I can hit most anything, as long as it is about the size of a barn!

IIRC that was a 350 Legend.

The red cover up dot at 10 o clock was probably when I was barn-hunting!!!

View attachment 1305468

Ah, the .350L...

Talk about a great shooting round! I have had similar results with three rifles.

A Savage Axis, a Ruger American, and a Bear Creek complete upper...

(When Jim talks about hitting barns, I think he's using Monopoly hotels.) :bounce: