Bait

Doug B.

When I first started this year I caught several off of remakes, but the weather and rain has really messed up a lot I. The clay. Where I am moving mine tomorrow is in a sandy roads bed that I haven’t set in a long time. Caught 2 last year here and after that didn’t see any sign, but that’s not the case now. Should have one or two in a few days hopefully.
I love doing remakes and I have caught a lot of coyotes doing them. But I'm going to try some different things and see how it goes. You never know til you try.

furtaker

Wow! Yes I do remember that picture! I am a firm believer in letting bait do its job and the power of a coyotes nose. I never re-bait or re-lure.

How much bait do you use at a set?
I rarely re-lure either. I might after a really heavy rain. I'll never forget the time I saw where a coyote had dug my lure out of the ground where I had pulled a trap two or three months earlier.

I set em and leave em alone.

2dye4

I love doing remakes and I have caught a lot of coyotes doing them. But I'm going to try some different things and see how it goes. You never know til you try.
Remakes take time, but I think it’s worth it because just like every other animal, you see you buddy get caught and can’t go on with the hunt with you, he’s not going back to that place any longer. Time to relocate your gear.

Doug B.

It worked fairly well last year. This year will be my own bait instead a commercial bait.
I have a couple of baits that I make that work. So I don't blame you for using your own if it works. Actually the ones I make are not my own concoction. I saw a guy on YouTube use it. It is any kind of meat mixed with cheap blue cheese salad dressing. Don't laugh. It does work! If I was going to make some now, I would just go ahead and make it, then use it some the rest of the season. Then before I put it away for the summer I put sodium benzoate in it. I have some that is right now 3 years old and will still catch coyotes. I used bobcat meat in mine but you could use any kind of meat.

Another one I made is beaver tail oil. I made it this past summer and I have caught coyotes on it this year. It is easy and a cheap way to have bait. Also the beaver tails that rendered the oil can be used as bait and I am going to start using it in another day or so.

2dye4

I have a couple of baits that I make that work. So I don't blame you for using your own if it works. Actually the ones I make are not my own concoction. I saw a guy on YouTube use it. It is any kind of meat mixed with cheap blue cheese salad dressing. Don't laugh. It does work! If I was going to make some now, I would just go ahead and make it, then use it some the rest of the season. Then before I put it away for the summer I put sodium benzoate in it. I have some that is right now 3 years old and will still catch coyotes. I used bobcat meat in mine but you could use any kind of meat.

Another one I made is beaver tail oil. I made it this past summer and I have caught coyotes on it this year. It is easy and a cheap way to have bait. Also the beaver tails that rendered the oil can be used as bait and I am going to start using it in another day or so.
I’ve got some beaver tail oil rendering now. I hope to use it in some of my sets as soon as it produces some oil.

Furmaster

I don’t have the time to make my own bait or I would love to try . Hats off to the trappers who can trap, make bait , work , and all else that goes along with it I admire it. So for me it’s commercial bait .I guess everybody has there own preference on baits but I’ve been using a couple different baits the passed couple seasons and been having good catches , couple different baits from Down South Trappers from over in Alabama,Briar Patch (beaver meat based )and Dixie Cat Delight(bobcat based). Also been using some Clete’s Apple Rd bait from Cletis Richards in Missouri.Clete’s Apple Rd bobcat meat and Clete’s apple rd Horse meat base bait . Those have really produced critters for me . If you guys are looking for commercial bait give them a try. I think you will be happy . Tight chains fellas

Last edited:

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
For me it just depends on what it is. With most commercial baits or my homemade brew, I usually put about a teaspoon to a tablespoon. I've also caught coyotes on fresh natural baits like chicken and turkey parts.

Lures are a different story. Caven's Canine Force is one of my favorite lures but you better use a tiny amount or you will get a roller every time. It's a food lure for dirt holes but I learned the hard way on that one.
With the canine force lure do y’all also use a bait ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
I’ve caught almost all of my coyotes on the same formula . Dirt hole with a dab of Cavens Hiawatha valley bait and sheeps wool in the hole and a squirt of red fox pee .

sportsman94

I keep an old spoon in my lure bag and just get a spoonful whenever I put bait down the hole. I guess it’s about a tablespoon. I also try to smear it on the way down to make them work harder to get it all if they want to eat it.

Interesting to hear yalls results with canine force. I’ve given away a jar or two of it over the years because I never had any luck with it.

I second cletis richards Apple valley predator bait. That’s my go to bait in either bobcat or horse formulation. A buddy gave me a jar of hiawatha valley this year and that’s some nasty stuff, but seems to work well!

furtaker

I keep an old spoon in my lure bag and just get a spoonful whenever I put bait down the hole. I guess it’s about a tablespoon. I also try to smear it on the way down to make them work harder to get it all if they want to eat it.

Interesting to hear yalls results with canine force. I’ve given away a jar or two of it over the years because I never had any luck with it.

I second cletis richards Apple valley predator bait. That’s my go to bait in either bobcat or horse formulation. A buddy gave me a jar of hiawatha valley this year and that’s some nasty stuff, but seems to work well!
I'm set on Canine Force for a loooong time due to all the freebie jars I got from MTP with my large online orders. :bounce:

Throwback

Chief Big Taw
Anyone use a commercial bait solution? Been thinking about making some using deer meat and locklears solution

Latest posts