Bait

Doug B.

We have been having some great discussions on here lately. Let's keep it going!

I like to watch trapping videos on YouTube. I have noticed that some trappers talk about how good a coyotes nose is then they put about a heaping tablespoon of bait down the hole. I have even seen some put that much then go back for another glob I addition to that.

Now, there is nothing wrong i guess with putting any amount of bait you want to in the hole. But I put my bait deep enough that by the time they dig down to it they are caught. If they can smell a big glob in a hole shouldn't they be able to smell a small glob as well? I am really frugal (ok, I'm cheap) and at the most I might put a half of a teaspoon down the hole. Especially something like Cavens Predator Bait Plus which is made from deer meat I think and is kinda chunky.

There is no right or wrong here I don't think. What is everybody else opinion?

furtaker

For me it just depends on what it is. With most commercial baits or my homemade brew, I usually put about a teaspoon to a tablespoon. I've also caught coyotes on fresh natural baits like chicken and turkey parts.

Lures are a different story. Caven's Canine Force is one of my favorite lures but you better use a tiny amount or you will get a roller every time. It's a food lure for dirt holes but I learned the hard way on that one.

Doug B.

For me it just depends on what it is. With most commercial baits or my homemade brew, I usually put about a teaspoon to a tablespoon. I've also caught coyotes on fresh natural baits like chicken and turkey parts.

Lures are a different story. Caven's Canine Force is one of my favorite lures but you better use a tiny amount or you will get a roller every time. It's a food lure for dirt holes but I learned the hard way on that one.
Yep. I've had back hair in my trap from using Canine Force. I started using less and started putting it down a hole to keep them from trying to roll in it.

2dye4

We have been having some great discussions on here lately. Let's keep it going!

I like to watch trapping videos on YouTube. I have noticed that some trappers talk about how good a coyotes nose is then they put about a heaping tablespoon of bait down the hole. I have even seen some put that much then go back for another glob I addition to that.

Now, there is nothing wrong i guess with putting any amount of bait you want to in the hole. But I put my bait deep enough that by the time they dig down to it they are caught. If they can smell a big glob in a hole shouldn't they be able to smell a small glob as well? I am really frugal (ok, I'm cheap) and at the most I might put a half of a teaspoon down the hole. Especially something like Cavens Predator Bait Plus which is made from deer meat I think and is kinda chunky.

There is no right or wrong here I don't think. What is everybody else opinion?
Doug,
I put in some bait in a hole on some property just down the road from my house between Thanksgiving and Christmas and never looked back. My neighbor would check them every day without any changes. I’d go by every now and then but never rebait them and finally on January 5 I catch the one after I had checked them that morning.
You might remember this picture.

Attachments

• 48728B3A-6BA6-41C2-B7D1-74B0F30DF2F8.jpeg
    48728B3A-6BA6-41C2-B7D1-74B0F30DF2F8.jpeg
    495.5 KB · Views: 4

furtaker

Yep. I've had back hair in my trap from using Canine Force. I started using less and started putting it down a hole to keep them from trying to roll in it.
Yeah I only use it in dirt holes. I just dip a twig in it and throw it down the hole. Have you had good success with it? I've caught a bunch of coyotes on that lure. It is killer around here.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I have tried dirt holes with food bait, but only had a single coyote caught that way.

I have caught a bunch of non targets though. I too am cheap I guess. I have only used small amounts, and then stuffed a bit of sheep wool or a feather in on top of the bait.

My coyotes usually get caught on two drops of urine, and a small twig dipped in lure.

I may be off base, but an old man told me the phrase "less is more" was coined by a trapper...

Doug B.

Doug,
I put in some bait in a hole on some property just down the road from my house between Thanksgiving and Christmas and never looked back. My neighbor would check them every day without any changes. I’d go by every now and then but never rebait them and finally on January 5 I catch the one after I had checked them that morning.
You might remember this picture.
Wow! Yes I do remember that picture! I am a firm believer in letting bait do its job and the power of a coyotes nose. I never re-bait or re-lure.

How much bait do you use at a set?

Doug B.

I have tried dirt holes with food bait, but only had a single coyote caught that way.

I have caught a bunch of non targets though. I too am cheap I guess. I have only used small amounts, and then stuffed a bit of sheep wool or a feather in on top of the bait.

My coyotes usually get caught on two drops of urine, and a small twig dipped in lure.

I may be off base, but an old man told me the phrase "less is more" was coined by a trapper...
Urine and lure works great! Especially on a flat set or walk through or something like that. I like to use bait in a dirt hole set though.

I’ve used the commercial baits with some success, but I’ve had my best luck with chicken backs and carcasses from when my wife debones a rotisserie chicken for a recipe. Plus chicken backs are cheap! Lol

Doug B.

I’ve used the commercial baits with some success, but I’ve had my best luck with chicken backs and carcasses from when my wife debones a rotisserie chicken for a recipe. Plus chicken backs are cheap! Lol
I like that! I need to try more of that.

2dye4

That's about what I use. I believe they can smell that much just as good as twice that much. And with it at the bottom of my hole they will still be there long enough to get caught.
Absolutely, that scenario proved to me that there is no use to rebait often because bought bait is really expensive. I do use some of my own tainted meat that works well.

Doug B.

I’ve got a bunch of yotes that have become aware of my sets. I’m moving all of the tomorrow to a lower road location that I have seen a ton of tracks on. I’ll be making several different style sets to see what works best. Will keep y’all updated.
It seems like they catch on quick after a few catches. I got some sets in the ground today and if I catch a couple I'm going to go ahead and change up and move some around. That will give me a chance to experiment more too.

2dye4

It seems like they catch on quick after a few catches. I got some sets in the ground today and if I catch a couple I'm going to go ahead and change up and move some around. That will give me a chance to experiment more too.
When I first started this year I caught several off of remakes, but the weather and rain has really messed up a lot I. The clay. Where I am moving mine tomorrow is in a sandy roads bed that I haven’t set in a long time. Caught 2 last year here and after that didn’t see any sign, but that’s not the case now. Should have one or two in a few days hopefully.