Barrel Deer Feeder question

frankwright

Pwmoa5Ql.jpg

I saw this picture somewhere,maybe here and thought that it would be a good idea. Fill it in late August and it should last most of the season, no traffic in to fill or check.
However my feeble brain did not think it through and I don't have a solution to get the last bit of corn that is on the flat bottom. It needs some kind of funnel but I have not thought of anything yet.
I am using the Moultrie All-in-one feeder motors.
Any ideas other than shaking the barrel? I am afraid that corn might rot laying there and mess up all the rest. I don't know that will happen but trying to avoid problems!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
If your handy with some tin snips and a tape measure you can cut and make a funnel out of metal flashing , same principle as a fish trap

frankwright

Thanks! I never dreamed there was such a thing available.
I was never a very good metal smith and luckily when working for the Airline, they were right next door when I needed them.
Yes, I thought of making a sheet metal cone but had not really dived into that project yet.

buckmanmike

To me it seems the metal flashing would have to be a heavy gauge. Corn in a 55 gal barrel has to weigh alot. I like the capacity of 55 gallons, but I dont like the idea of climbing a ladder with 50lb bags. I have my feeders rigged with a pulley and hand crank winch. Works good for old folks.

the squirrels will chew through those straps and that whole thing is going to hit the dirt....

Also, cut the bottom out of a metal 5 gallon bucket and put it over the feeder head....Its the only way to keep the little rascals from getting to your feeder head and chewing it up.

I went through several iterations with my feeder due to squirrels...

Para Bellum

Mouth For War
Thanks! I never dreamed there was such a thing available.
I was never a very good metal smith and luckily when working for the Airline, they were right next door when I needed them.
Yes, I thought of making a sheet metal cone but had not really dived into that project yet.

My Moultrie feeder came with a funnel just for that purpose.

frankwright

Climbing with 50 lbs of corn is what keeps me young, I am 73!
Never had squirrels chew any of the stands of feeders straps ever, maybe I am just lucky.
Barrel has steel lid. If they chew through that I ain't going to mess with them!
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered two of the funnels from Academy. Free Delivery!

Davexx1

I have been thru several similar designs over the years. In my opinion the best set up is a boat winch/cable set up where you can lower the feeder to ground and safely and conveniently fill it, then winch it back up.

Latest posts