Beach Food in the Mountains

Dr. Strangelove

Calabash West in Fletcher (gone for many, many years now :cry:) couldn't have done butter!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Calabash West in Fletcher (gone for many, many years now :cry:) couldn't have done butter!
Used to love it. I've ate at that one many times. They also had one over here in Waynesville, and one in Leicester. AYCE shrimp on Friday night. I could eat a lot of shrimps. I'm probably why they went out of bidness. :)

shoot870p

Shrimp: Hit them with some Old Bay seasoning, then into some egg and milk wash, then into self-rising flour spiked with plenty of black pepper.
Fish: Seasoned them with my Creole seasoning mix I make up, then dredged in House of Autry seafood breader spiked with black pepper.

Thank you, sir!

Dub

I've been craving me a big Calabash-style fried combo platter like you get at those little rustic beach seafood shacks. So, I rounded up some good shrimp and some Clark's Hill cats to sub out for the flounder.

Soaking in the Magic Elixir of Goodness (lemon juice and Crystal hot sauce: )

View attachment 1080966

Then, they got seasoned, breaded, and rested in the fridge while I chopped up some taters and some onions and jalapenos for the hushpuppies, and YHFP made up some spicy cocktail sauce.

Everybody into the oil, and onto the platter:

View attachment 1080967

This was quite edible.

That is insanely delicious looking right there !!!

Brother, you'd close the doors on all the best coastal seafood restaurants if you opened up a spot of your own.

Awesome looking eats. I grew up eating seafood all the time....so lucky for my early stomping ground location in that regard.......and you'd beat 'em all.

Spiked up House Autry is how I roll, too.

You have sho'nuff flung a craving.

Redbow

Now what you cooked that shrimp and catfish is my kind of eating. We have a little place here over in Beaufort called Rolands them folks know how to prepare and cook seafood. And yeah I gotta have taters with my seafood also. And some good slaw with it ain't bad either.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Now what you cooked that shrimp and catfish is my kind of eating. We have a little place here over in Beaufort called Rolands them folks know how to prepare and cook seafood. And yeah I gotta have taters with my seafood also. And some good slaw with it ain't bad either.
You're not too far from Calabash, are you?