Bear Camp - 2012 in the books

RPM

How's Bass Pro snake boots?
Don't how they'll be for hiking but definity more comfy than getting bit.

7Mag Hunter

Looks like I may be there for my 1st time camping in over 30 yrs.!:eek: Don't know how much scouting up and down the mountain I'll be able to do but we'll see how it goes.

Welcome to the pack !!!!

Lots of old trails to hike while scouting make it "a bit"
easier than busting brush up and down mountains...

You might even get lucky and get a pig....

Make sure you have a rain suit and water proof tent !!!
Always rains on us "Outlaws"........:biggrin2:

Marlin_444

How's Bass Pro snake boots?
Don't how they'll be for hiking but definity more comfy than getting bit.

11 Days... WOO HOO...

I wear a pair of the Bass Pro's - - They work well after a few break in walks.

Definately rain gear in the ulikely event of rain...

Since this is mainly a scouting trip we be sure to show you around.

Take care and we'll see you at camp!

*V*

RPM

Thanks Guys,

I'll get to try out this gear I've gotten over the past year.

With the elevation there, how does the temp. compare to Atlanta? I've been to places that where consistantly 5+ degrees cooler when you went up the mountain.

I do need to get some walking in with those boots.

pnome

Yeah, it's usually about 5 degrees cooler alright, still gets plenty hot mid-day in the sun though.

Marlin_444

Looking ahead...

Bow Opener - 9/8 & 9
Muzzle Stuffer Opener - 10/6 & 7
Modern Gun Opener - 10/13 & 14

Marlin_444

Countdown

pnome

Time to start the menu.....What we gonna eat ?????

Funny you should ask that. Due to a gentleman's prop bet with a friend, I have become what I call a "Huntnfishatarian."

I am restricted to just eating the meat I've managed to acquire myself. I do have a few notable exceptions though. I am allowed to eat wild game offered to me for free, roadkill, My sister's standing rib roast on Christmas day, and any wild caught fish as sushi.

If I last a year, I get $200. If I fail, I have to pay $20 per serving of meat until the year is up.

So, no pork chops for me this trip. :cry: Unless I can get lucky and get a hog!!! :shoot:

7Mag Hunter

Maybe Ron will bring some venison....I just ate my last pack,
so i am "huntin for meat" this year too !!!

I will also call my BIL to see if he has any wild hog left from last
year.....Otherwise Veggie Burgers for Joe !!!!

ranger374

Joe, can you buy a domestic hog, then "harvest" it?? if you wear cammo and use a bow............HAHA just kidding.

I can hook you up with some beaver(the one that swims around in the swamp:D) if you are really in need of some carnivore cravings. never been brave enough to try to eat that particular species of beaver though.....................

ranger374

Looking ahead...

Bow Opener - 9/8 & 9
Muzzle Stuffer Opener - 10/6 & 7
Modern Gun Opener - 10/13 & 14

uh, Ron, Mr green jeans will be waiting on ya if you go those dates

ML - is 10/13-10/19

Modern gun - 10/20 - 1/1 for the northern zone

Still gonna try to make bow opener, but ML weekend is iffy, may have to do a state training class that weekend. If anyone is planning to stay during the week -- ML or gun opener weeks, let me know.

Bonaire-Dave

Might want to bring a light sleeping bag. I just checked the weather for this weekend and we might get down to 59 this Saturday morning in Blairsville. Finally got the Forest Svc to confirm that some land near me was Forest Svc land, so I may do some small game hunting (scouting) starting 8/15/2012. Dave

pnome

Joe, can you buy a domestic hog, then "harvest" it?? if you wear cammo and use a bow............HAHA just kidding.

I can hook you up with some beaver(the one that swims around in the swamp:D) if you are really in need of some carnivore cravings. never been brave enough to try to eat that particular species of beaver though.....................

That's OK. Thanks for the thought though. I've got a hunch tofu tastes better than swamp beaver. :D

Marlin_444

Hmmmm... Pig on a spit... Hmmmm...

You know me and regs...

I'll be there for ML opener, seems I will be in Chicago the weekend of 10/20.... (DERN)...

Marlin_444

Funny you should ask that. Due to a gentleman's prop bet with a friend, I have become what I call a "Huntnfishatarian."

I am restricted to just eating the meat I've managed to acquire myself. I do have a few notable exceptions though. I am allowed to eat wild game offered to me for free, roadkill, My sister's standing rib roast on Christmas day, and any wild caught fish as sushi.

If I last a year, I get $200. If I fail, I have to pay $20 per serving of meat until the year is up.

So, no pork chops for me this trip. :cry: Unless I can get lucky and get a hog!!! :shoot:

How about 120 lbs of Ground Deer in a trade :) ... Hah!!!

I was thinkin about bringing my smoker and putting a Boston Butt on Saturday morning :) ;) :D

I actually do have a Deer Roast that I'd like to smoke if anyone is up for bringing a whole Chicken or Turkey we could put on also... A Boston Butt would smoke well too :fine:

As an alternative, I'll bring the usual "unusual" deer burgers and such.

Let me know!!!

Ron

7Mag Hunter

How big is your smoker ???

I can bring a fresh chicken if you got room.....Do you need wood to smoke or will you use charcoal ???

Marlin_444

How big is your smoker ???

I can bring a fresh chicken if you got room.....Do you need wood to smoke or will you use charcoal ???

Hey Doug -

Yep, I use a mix of wood (got any applewood or ?) and charcoal - - It's a "Stand Up" stacker smoker (weber) so a fresh "Yard Bird" will work well.

My Venison Roast is not too large so we can make a good meal of smoked roast & chicken...

RPM reached out to me on other food stuff, I just finished a project (two days or nights early) so I am gonna hit the hay...

Long day tomorrow in Virginia Beach!

*V*