Bear Down - Chattahoochee WMA

Buckman18

I had a fun afternoon today in the mountains. I shot my first ever creature with a crossbow, coming to the white oaks. He crashed about 60 yards later, and as always he ran down the wrong side of the mountain. Special shout out to @brownitisdown and his son Trey for coming to the rescue, or id still be out there lugging hide, head, and meat. One interesting point is this bear had nuisance (i assume) tags in both ears and a gps (again i assume) collar, both a first for bears ive killed. I put the crossbow version of a Rage in the cage at 15 yards. Fun evening.
20190918_174845.jpg

20190918_181623.jpg
20190918_181536.jpg

Edit: Ive just talked to a couple friends with DNR, and the ear tags on this bear were not nuisance tags, but rather part of the GPS tracking study. Also, the estimated weight of this bear was around 300 live weight. And... this bear was deaf - which probably explains why he didnt hear the safety on my crossbow like the one I spooked on Sunday!

Last edited:

Big7

The Oracle
Good looking bear !!!

Are they good to eat? I've heard some say its nasty and greasy.
Others say it's way fittin' to eat.

I've never tried it. What do you say about it?
Good or not good eatin' ?? ?

Congratulations on the fine kill. It's a beauty !

Buckman18

Good looking bear !!!

Congratulations on the fine kill. It's a beauty !

Thank you, and yes they are good to eat. They do require more meat prep, i like to remove all the fat i can with a knife, then boil a big roast to remove more fat, then smoke it like a boston butt. Also, steaks are good. The absolute worst way to cook it is to just throw it in a frying pan like you would deer or pork, IMO. YMMV.

Gator89

While living in Wisconsin I had the opportunity to eat summer sausage made with bear meat, it was good. I have had summer sausage made with goose also, it was pretty tasty as well.

Folks in Wi love their summer sausage. And BEER!

Big7

The Oracle
I'd like to try some. I'm not a real picky eater.

Bout' the only thing I absolutely can't manage is cinnamon. If I even get around someone chewing Big Red or Dentyne gum, I dry heave.
Don't know why. When my Grandmother made pie or cobbler that called for cinnamon, she made two. One for "regular" folks and a seperate one for me ! ?