Bear hunting 101

Resica

Anyone know of a good outfitter in Georgia? My wife didn't fall for the Let's go to Canada for vacation trick.

Tell her , "How about Pa.?" Plenty of vacation sights, plus we have the biggest Black Bears in the world.

Michael F. Gray

I usually encounter Bear when deer hunting sitting in my stand. If you are still,quiet, and observant it's likely you will see one eventually. Bear's main defense is his sense of smell. If you use after shave, scented laundry detergent, of have smoked a cigarrette recently, he'll smell you long before you see him. Shoe polish, or waterproofing also has an odor they can detect. A bear if not pushed by dogs, or spooked, will normally walk with the breeze blowing toward him. His nose works, they say a hundred times better than ours. I can tell you from my own observation he'll react to what he smells quicker than what he sees. Also, if you just oiled your weapon before heading out, smell it. He can. I watched a hunter smoke a cigarette while standing on a logging road, the bear I shot came close to my tree stand after winding him, and walking away, and around him. It's likely, given the trail he was walking, he would have walked within ten feet of that hunter had he not been smoking.

Ingelri

OK, bear guys. Can you recommend to us long time, low-land deer hunters where to go in North Georgia to give us the best chance of seeing bears? I know there are a number of good WMAs and the National Forest, but with thousands of acres is there something you guys key in on to make you take the next step and look for bear sign? With the advent of Google Earth and other similar programs, I do a fair amount of deer scouting on-line. I imagine these programs could help in bear hunting also, but would need to know what to look for.

Great info, by the way. Keep it coming.

Mike

xhunterx

if at all possible take a couple of days and come up, while the leaves are off, drive around the wma's and national forest, you can park on the main road and look at miles of land thru binoculars right now.
other people on here have mentioned hunt them like you would deer. thats great advise, but to find the bear or deer in the mountains you have to find the food. there is not enough agricultural fields around the mountains to hold game. the food plots on most management areas are just jokes due to the state budget woes. most are grown up in weeds and brush. you have to find the acorns, if you can find the acorns you'll find bear and a few deer. white oak first then red oak and chestnut oak later. deer seem to like to travel parallel with ridges on game trails just off the top, most bear i see seem to go anywhere, up, down, parallel, whatever direction theyre pointing in. you can tell from this forum that unlike deer hunting most people who live and hunt in the mountains would love to put you on a bear. after you've killed one or two, the deer start looking better again. i feel like we have way to many bears right now and hope they cycle down in the population a little. on cohutta where i usually hunt i'm more confident of seeing a bear on a hunt then any deer, buck or doe. go ahead and google some areas, take a couple of weekends and come up and drive around some, get a idea of how big these woods are, ask advice, we'll tell you the truth (on bear anyhow), and get ready for next year

7Mag Hunter

OK, bear guys. Can you recommend to us long time, low-land deer hunters where to go in North Georgia to give us the best chance of seeing bears? I know there are a number of good WMAs and the National Forest, but with thousands of acres is there something you guys key in on to make you take the next step and look for bear sign? With the advent of Google Earth and other similar programs, I do a fair amount of deer scouting on-line. I imagine these programs could help in bear hunting also, but would need to know what to look for.

Great info, by the way. Keep it coming.

Mike

What ripplerider said...Group of us meet 2-3-4 timer per
year to seek the elusive Black Bear in the N Ga Mtns.....
LOTS of Bears in the woods, and if you spend enough
time looking you are likely to find what you are looking for....
All of the gang are serious hunters, altho some of us are
still rookies at bear hunting,we have a good time and learn
from each trip and each other...
Best group of guys I have ever hunted with.....
We are meeting in the spring for a turkey hunt and to
scout and learn more about the land....
Come join us !! Just follow the top bear hunting thread...

Maybe, just maybe you will meet Dana Young, the Bear
expert who started this thread....
Happy New year Dana....Missed seeing this last fall !!!

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Tell her , "How about Pa.?" Plenty of vacation sights, plus we have the biggest Black Bears in the world.

Except for North Carolina ::ke:

Ingelri

Best group of guys I have ever hunted with.....
We are meeting in the spring for a turkey hunt and to
scout and learn more about the land....
Come join us !! Just follow the top bear hunting thread...

Maybe, just maybe you will meet Dana Young, the Bear
expert who started this thread....
Happy New year Dana....Missed seeing this last fall !!!

I'd love to. I'll keep following the thread. Thanks!

Mike

huntrat

awesome thread. i need all the help i can get. will be heading to warwoman this weekend. i have been reading everything i can get my hands on and looking through all the threads here. i hope to spend more time this year in the mountains turkey hunting and trout fishing so i can get some more scouting time in. i found lots of bear scat at warwoman last year but didnt see any bears. i figured with the high pressure during the late season hunt odds would be low. i would love to get in on one of the group hunts this fall just to tag a long and learn from some guys with experience.

things go black...

It's amazing how fast crosshairs disappear when they cross paths with a bear...

Latest posts