Because I am curious

rugerfan

So I have been finding little to no deer sign in my normal haunts on the National Forest, plenty of acorns on the ground, water at the bottom of the hill, plenty of cover, just not very much sign of deer actually being there. So not sure what is up with that.

So I got down around noon, and started doing some scouting, not very many scrapes in the normal places that they have been scraping in the past. A few are present, but have not been cleared in the past several days.

So went to a different area, did some quick scouting, found some small but sort of fresh scrapes. They are about as big around as a volleyball, licking branches above, but one thing I have not found anywhere are actual buck rubs. Normally in the past when I would find scrapes, I would usually find some rubs. So I am wondering on these small scrapes if these are being made by a small immature buck? Or would the reason there aren't any rubs being made is the fact that there is little to no competition.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:

hunter84

I hunt on public land mainly WMA's and I really don't ever find alot of sign. I'm like you plenty of acorns and water but not alot of sign such as rubs scrapes that kind of stuff on my way out this morning I found a fresh scrape and droppings right in the path I have been using to get to my stand and that's one of the few I have found hunting on this wma especially but I know the bucks are here because I've seen two already this season so I don't really know why there isn't more scrapes and rubs to be found maybe someone can give a good reason

treemanjohn

Banned
Grew up hunting public land. You have to hunt deep if you want consistent success. Also if acorns are everywhere it means that animals don't have to roam to find them. You must hunt close to their bedding areas. No exceptions. On plentiful acorn seasons an animals range will tighten up significantly. They're not going to roam if their current ground beneath them is covered

hunter84

I figured that with the acorns they don't have to travel far but even with not alot of sign I still see deer ,bucks included I just thought it was funny you don't see alot of sign

crackerdave

As the acorns get scarcer,there will be more competition for them.Just be glad there's no hogs!

Josh B

Doe will make scrapes too. Normally the small one's. I'm looking for a big scrape with broken licking branch. But I'm not finding a lot of buck sign on my hunting club right now but I'm getting pics of them.

The Donk

I hunt public and in one of my favorite spots I wasn't seeing deer like usual. Turns out some feral dogs have been out there running the deer hard. I found out the hard way on a morning hunt. This dog ran every creek draw up and down barking its head off running deer. I haven't been back since.

Doug B.

I hunt public and in one of my favorite spots I wasn't seeing deer like usual. Turns out some feral dogs have been out there running the deer hard. I found out the hard way on a morning hunt. This dog ran every creek draw up and down barking its head off running deer. I haven't been back since.
Nope! Dogs will run deer. That is for certain. But that will not cause you to not see deer. The deer that were there before the dog started running will still be there after the dogs are gone. I have watched deer stand and watch other deer/bear/coon being run by dogs. It's just another day for the deer. A lot of people make excuses for not seeing deer. Just because I saw 45 deer last year and only 12 this year does not mean that somebody's dog ran them all off. Nothing is the same year to year. The food is different. Travel pattern may have changed for any unknown reason. Construction, storm damage, etc. Dogs, however, do not change a deers habits except temporarily. They will be right back almost as soon as the dogs baying stops.

Whit90

I saw an unusually small amount of sign on some public land as well. Only a couple of small rubs and scrapes. I’m sure it will heat up soon though.

westcobbdog

So I have been finding little to no deer sign in my normal haunts on the National Forest, plenty of acorns on the ground, water at the bottom of the hill, plenty of cover, just not very much sign of deer actually being there. So not sure what is up with that.

So I got down around noon, and started doing some scouting, not very many scrapes in the normal places that they have been scraping in the past. A few are present, but have not been cleared in the past several days.

So went to a different area, did some quick scouting, found some small but sort of fresh scrapes. They are about as big around as a volleyball, licking branches above, but one thing I have not found anywhere are actual buck rubs. Normally in the past when I would find scrapes, I would usually find some rubs. So I am wondering on these small scrapes if these are being made by a small immature buck? Or would the reason there aren't any rubs being made is the fact that there is little to no competition.

Your thoughts?
Pre rut put out some tinks 69 to draw em out.

Kev

Your thoughts?
I’ve shot two very large bucks this year and both made scrapes within site of me. The scrapes they made were not big. I do have some huge scrapes on my land and I’ve put cameras on them. I usually get pictures of about everything you can imagine on the huge scrapes: does, small bucks, and a few big bucks.

Full Draw McGraw

I had only seen a little buck sign on my middle GA public land spots before this last weekend. It seems like the bucks are finally starting to lay it down a bit more.
I didn't see anything too special, just a decent number of small rubs and small scrapes that were mostly recent.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
I’m finding very little sign too. One area I found scrapes and a short rub line. But the others no rubs and only a few scrapes. Very few acorns on my stomping grounds too.

RipperIII

Interesting. Here in sw Butts co. I'm seeing more sign than I've seen in almost 15 yrs. ...and more deer on camera...and we have a hog and coyote problem.
I've only hunted 2 mornings, so I've only seen a handful of doe and a huge yote...and our acorn crop seems to be much less than the last couple of years...but I'm also seeing more road killed deer ...interesting.

CivilWolf

Doe will make scrapes too. Normally the small one's. I'm looking for a big scrape with broken licking branch. But I'm not finding a lot of buck sign on my hunting club right now but I'm getting pics of them.
I’ve heard one other person say that does will make scrapes but I’ve never seen it, live or on trail cam. I’ve seen does visit scrapes and pee in them, but never rake leaves and ‘make’ one

Josh B

I’ve heard one other person say that does will make scrapes but I’ve never seen it, live or on trail cam. I’ve seen does visit scrapes and pee in them, but never rake leaves and ‘make’ one
I have a spot right now that has a hole line of small basket ball sized scrapes. I’ve had a camera on there for weeks and it is just doe using the trail.