Beginners kayak search

woodsman65

I'm a pretty good sized guy about 6' 200lbs and im looking to buy a new fishing kayak, i've never owned one so feed back would be great! I will be fishing the oostanaula river and ponds and lakes. Thanks!!

Randy

Only based on what you have said I would recommend the following:
Ocean Kayak Drifter or the Jackson kayak Coosa.

MadDawg51

I'll offer some thoughts on choices and hope some more experienced yakfishers will pick up on this. You've given a pretty wide range of conditions. I assume the Oostanaula has some pretty good swift areas with some shoals based on its name. So, you don't want a really long yak in that water. Small ponds are best in shorter boats. But, the only issue is maneuverability. If the ponds are rather large, it is not such an issue. For stability in fishing, a bit of beam (width) is a big help. Lakes are a whole different story. If you are going to make significant distance on still water, length is your friend and width is your enemy. If you are fighting the boat, it will limit your range on lakes or slow rivers. So, you are looking for something that will move relatively easily through still water while maintaining enough stability and maneuverability for fast water, small ponds and fishing.

I think the sweet spot for your needs will be about 13 feet in length (maybe 12 to 14) and set up as a fishing platform. There are a number of manufacturers hitting this mark. Most will have 4 rod holders, enclosed areas for gear (hatch to the inside or separate compartment), a large gear well behind, and flat areas to mount stuff. I like adjustable foot supports. If it has a good seat, it is a plus. But, most seats can be upgraded later.

I don't know shops in your area. But, I highly recommend The Outside World near the Dawsonville Outlet Mall. They are always helpful and have a good selection. And, Robby is a yakfisher. So, he can give some helpful advice.

Backcountry

i agree with maddawg...check out the outside world..lots of boats to look at. they have an indoor pool..you can try it out if you want. i've purchased two boats there and have been very satisfied with the service.

sborsh99

You can also go to Cedar Creek Park in Cave Spring. There is a bunch of demo boats you can try out for yourself.