Benjamin Marauder PCP Air Rifle

B. White

Anyone have one and what do you think? I know nothing about PCP rifles, but have been looking for the last couple of weeks and been tempted. The cost of a pump, bottle or compressor is the biggest thing that bothers me.

I don't mind sweating with a pump, but they are all high, so 2nd question is can I buy a cheap pump that will work for casual use. I think yes, based on some stuff I read, but curious about anyone here's experience.

Midway has a sale on blemished marauders right now. We have a Benjamin Trail, I think, based on pics I see online now for them on sale. I bought it several years ago and didn't shoot it much until now to save primers and 22lr. Me and my wife have been shooting it a lot the last couple of weeks. It groups good with the cheap pellets I have on hand. Grandkids are getting old enough to where we can use a 2nd one around and I would rather buy a decent one. They are all high now. Couldn't believe the price of the Trail when I looked it up.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Anyone have one and what do you think? I know nothing about PCP rifles, but have been looking for the last couple of weeks and been tempted. The cost of a pump, bottle or compressor is the biggest thing that bothers me.

I don't mind sweating with a pump, but they are all high, so 2nd question is can I buy a cheap pump that will work for casual use. I think yes, based on some stuff I read, but curious about anyone here's experience.

Midway has a sale on blemished marauders right now. We have a Benjamin Trail, I think, based on pics I see online now for them on sale. I bought it several years ago and didn't shoot it much until now to save primers and 22lr. Me and my wife have been shooting it a lot the last couple of weeks. It groups good with the cheap pellets I have on hand. Grandkids are getting old enough to where we can use a 2nd one around and I would rather buy a decent one. They are all high now. Couldn't believe the price of the Trail when I looked it up.

I've had a Marauder for several years and I love it. Very accurate, I get head shots on most squirrels. I bought a $40 pump off ebay when I got it and haven't had any trouble. My only real complaint about the gun is that it's bulky. I'd probably buy the pistol version with a stock if I had to do it over. I pump the gun up to 3,000 PSI and get around 25 accurate shots down to 2,500 PSI before needing to repump. It's not that bad pumping it back up if you don't shoot it down below 2,500. Some of the newer versions have regulators so you may get more shots with consistent accuracy than 25.

B. White

Do you know hat brand pump you've had luck with? I saw a lot of forums mentioning different ones, but all have jumped in price.

I noticed any type I saw and liked was not lightweight. The one I have now is the same way with a thumbhole stock, but we'll be shooting these off of a table most of the time, except for a short walk when garden raiders show themselves.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Do you know hat brand pump you've had luck with? I saw a lot of forums mentioning different ones, but all have jumped in price.

I noticed any type I saw and liked was not lightweight. The one I have now is the same way with a thumbhole stock, but we'll be shooting these off of a table most of the time, except for a short walk when garden raiders show themselves.

I can't find the exact one I bought since it was 4 or 5 years ago, but this one looks identical to the one I have. It came with the extra seals, but I've never had to use them. I've read where they can overheat, so I just always took a break if it seemed too hot. That was only ever a problem if I shot the pressure way below 2,000 PSI.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2657465145...uid=RDdSDvPdRM6&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

DrK

I also got one. It's a .25 cal model and have had it for about 7 years. I love it too and it has not given me any problems at all. I would say match grade accuracy and knocks down dove and squirrels same as a .22 LR up to 75 yards. I've been trying to get a pig with it this past 2 months but never crossed paths with one so far. I think it will easily take an 80-120 lb. hog with a well placed middle-of-the-forehead shot. Probably not good for an ear shot as the bones might stop proper penetration.

I tried the pump, got old fast and lasted for around 6-9 months. What scared me too was the amount of water and rust that collected in the pump due to compression. I have a small Air Venturi bottle about 100 cu., works well but only good for around 3 to 4 fills and the pressure starts to drop.

I next got a scuba tank and this work well. I have the regular tank to 3,000 psi and give a good number of fills, probably 20-30 before pressure drops. (I like to consider 2,600 psi as my lowest optimal pressure, velocity starts to drop after). Refilling the scuba tank at the scuba shop costs $4.50.

I finally succumbed and bought a Nomad portable compressor and it arrived 2 weeks ago. Gonna try it at camp tomorrow.

crackerdave

Interesting!
I had no idea air rifles had come so far.

I had a Sheridan .20 caliber that I shot a ton of lead through.It was very accurate,and being a singleshot it taught me to make the shot count.I consider it my first real gun,because it could kill small game with close head shots.

B. White

Interesting!
I had no idea air rifles had come so far.

I had a Sheridan .20 caliber that I shot a ton of lead through.It was very accurate,and being a singleshot it taught me to make the shot count.I consider it my first real gun,because it could kill small game with close head shots.

Me neither. I had a daisy 10 pump rifle way back when that I think was around 750 fps with a BB and would take out crows pretty easy. It was never much with a pellet. I shot it until the lever broke in half, put new steel in and shot some more. The Benjamin I have now is the first one I bought as an adult and I was surprised to see it would punch through some plywood with a pellet.

The new one will be the first semi-auto I will have seen. I've got a couple of spare scopes laying around, so I should know how it does in about a week.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
I also got one. It's a .25 cal model and have had it for about 7 years. I love it too and it has not given me any problems at all. I would say match grade accuracy and knocks down dove and squirrels same as a .22 LR up to 75 yards. I've been trying to get a pig with it this past 2 months but never crossed paths with one so far. I think it will easily take an 80-120 lb. hog with a well placed middle-of-the-forehead shot. Probably not good for an ear shot as the bones might stop proper penetration.

I tried the pump, got old fast and lasted for around 6-9 months. What scared me too was the amount of water and rust that collected in the pump due to compression. I have a small Air Venturi bottle about 100 cu., works well but only good for around 3 to 4 fills and the pressure starts to drop.

I next got a scuba tank and this work well. I have the regular tank to 3,000 psi and give a good number of fills, probably 20-30 before pressure drops. (I like to consider 2,600 psi as my lowest optimal pressure, velocity starts to drop after). Refilling the scuba tank at the scuba shop costs $4.50.

I finally succumbed and bought a Nomad portable compressor and it arrived 2 weeks ago. Gonna try it at camp tomorrow.

There is less bone to go through with an ear shot than between the eyes. There are nasal passages between the eyes and the cranium and two layers of bone to go through, a correct ear shot is only one layer.

munchie3409

I have the PROD and it's a fun pistol to shoot. I gave it to my daughter, as I have a few PCP.

Pumping is a pita, for a low pressured PCP it's alright, but when you have bigger PCP's owning a tank and compressor is the way to go. Getting into PCP isn't cheap, that's for sure.

DrK

There is less bone to go through with an ear shot than between the eyes. There are nasal passages between the eyes and the cranium and two layers of bone to go through, a correct ear shot is only one layer.

Now that I think about it you might be right. My anatomical reference is more human than hog. I was more worried with the mastoid bone and the zygomatic arch as they are one of the hardest bones of the body. The temple area is softest part of the cranium so I might give the ear shot a try.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
Now that I think about it you might be right. My anatomical reference is more human than hog. I was more worried with the mastoid bone and the zygomatic arch as they are one of the hardest bones of the body. The temple area is softest part of the cranium so I might give the ear shot a try.

Yep, I actually went and looked at a hog skull to verify what I thought before posting. I bounced a couple of 22lr on the top of his skull before I got one through the ear (trapped pig).

CaptKeith

I don’t have a Benjamin, but I have two AirForce PCPs, one in .22 the other a .457 deer rifle. They are impressive guns. Here is the pump I like best. It’s reasonable and works great for PCPs. 52EB2C34-E24B-4261-9497-E758B7335A89.png

B. White

I shot it a little today using a folding plastic table and a folding camp chair. I should have used something better or spent more time adjusting, but I didn't want to be out in the heat that long.

I'm not that concerned with groups right now, since I'm still getting used to it and the trigger, but I'm going to have to play and see if I can figure out the POI change. These are 3" bullseyes at just over 50 yds with the inexpensive Benjamin Discovery pellets. 5 shots at each moving to the right and then down a row and to the right. Center of the group started out to the right and moved to the left. The one single shot in the upper section was the last one, just to confirm it was going left.

I'll try it again when I have time and it is cooler and see if the first few shots are back to the right now that I have pumped back up to near 3000. The pump is not bad, if you are only doing a few shots every so often like I am. I think I am getting roughly one shot per two pump strokes. This is definitely a grown up pellet rifle and totes like a 4.5 piece of green pressure treated 4X4, but I think it has the potential to get some longer range practice without burning powder.

There are a couple of magazine issues I'm not a fan of, but that may be due to the fact that the instruction manual was terrible and it is not fair for me to make many comments until I reload and seat them a few more times. It has the longest trigger pull of anything I have shot, but it is also very smooth compared to any rifle I've shot. The better groups are the ones shot faster. Slowing down leaves too much to happen and think about with that long pull.
1658595350696.jpeg

DrK

Congratulations! You are gonna have a lot of fun with that. Is that a .22 cal?

Pellet choice makes a big difference when it comes to accuracy.

I have a .25 cal and it likes the JSB Exact and FX domed 25.39 grains. Literally giving one hole groups at 50 yards. When I used the H&N Barracuda hunting pellets I get a palm sized group at the same distance.

Oh, and wind affects pellet significantly. Even a 5-10 mph wind will move it an inch or so at 50 yards.

It's a great training tool as well as a small game hunter.

B. White

Congratulations! You are gonna have a lot of fun with that. Is that a .22 cal?

Pellet choice makes a big difference when it comes to accuracy.

I have a .25 cal and it likes the JSB Exact and FX domed 25.39 grains. Literally giving one hole groups at 50 yards. When I used the H&N Barracuda hunting pellets I get a palm sized group at the same distance.

Oh, and wind affects pellet significantly. Even a 5-10 mph wind will move it an inch or so at 50 yards.

It's a great training tool as well as a small game hunter.

Yes, 22. I could tell a breeze will make a difference. Too hot right now for me to want to play with it too much.