Question - Frying Larger Turkey's

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Hey Gang- Have a question for yall. I have been frying turkey's since the early 90's and have always been told to stay 12lbs and below by the ole timers that taught me. I think because more of meat management than fear of a flare up scenario.

So my better half's cousin called us about a week after Thanksgiving and said that Kroger had Butterballs on sale at 99c/lb. I dont like to cook meat that I didn't buy but whatever. Told them no turkey's over 11 lbs and we got two 13.4 lb's.

Question is, I suspect there is a bit of a different approach do to internal temps, does the 3.5m/lb still work? Anything else to watch out for? I perfected my method and now this.... :bounce:

Thanks

specialk

40-50 mins....probe it until it hits 165 degrees internal down in the breast....

tr21

I've always gone with under 15lbs. never heard under 11lbs only ! i go with 4 min. a lb.

little rascal

use same 3.5 minutes per lb. It will just take a little longer than a 10lb.er
People don't understand that Turkey will fry at less minutes per lb. versus say, Chicken, which has to be 9 minutes per lb.
It's the has to do with the larger hole of the body cavity.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Appreciate yall. I fried the first one, 3.5 min/lb may have been just a touch too much. I think this is why my uncles (now all dead) told me what they told me. Some of the more lean parts of the bird were a bit crispier than usual.

I did 47 min @13.4lbs. I'll probably cut back closer to 40-42 min for the second one. I'll post up pics later, the first one got gone quick.

BluewaterFever

Been frying turkeys for many years as well before they came a thing!
I have always done 3 min a # at 350 degrees and tried to keep them under 15#. I used a probe instant read thermometer and check several places for 160 degrees. Rember to let them rest like a roast for carry over cooking.
Dig in!