Berrien county Alapaha river

spearjunky

Did get up to camp they prepared the clear cuts to plant this fall I hope they don't do it in November but they should not do it till December or January but property looked good seen a few deer only down fall was timber company didn't close gate when they left :mad:

Whitetailer

Need welding on tractor

I have an IH mid sixties tractor on the property. The tie rod broke right in the middle and I would like to have it welded. Does anyone know of someone mobile that can weld for me in the Alapaha area? I do not have a trailer for it. I plan on being on the property October 7-8-9th.
Thanks. Whitetailer

Beyond that, the new landowner has in the past four years cut all pines and cut 95% of the hardwoods.
200 ac of 18 year old pines in 2013 and not replanted. Cut the hardwoods in 2015, including the river bottom, hardwoods along sloughs and also any high hardwood hammocks. 2016 cut the remainder [700 ac] of the pines that were 22 years old. So after having the lease for what will be my 22nd season it has changed drastically. Of course we all know clear-cutting of pines is to be expected, but at such a young age? Loosing the hardwoods is what really is sad to me. I have very fond memories of days in the mixed hardwoods watching the game and taking plenty of nice buck. We have taken few deer in the last four years, especially because of the clear-cuts with the tall dog fennels and weeds. obscuring any views. But, it is a new season and the optimism is running high.
So if I can get the tie rod welded we can mow some of those fields. Thanks, Russ

spearjunky

Hey Russ if you didn't go up last weekend and are going this weekend let me know i can bring my tractor up to help get yours to the trailer

sghoghunter

I have an IH mid sixties tractor on the property. The tie rod broke right in the middle and I would like to have it welded. Does anyone know of someone mobile that can weld for me in the Alapaha area? I do not have a trailer for it. I plan on being on the property October 7-8-9th.
Thanks. Whitetailer

Beyond that, the new landowner has in the past four years cut all pines and cut 95% of the hardwoods.
200 ac of 18 year old pines in 2013 and not replanted. Cut the hardwoods in 2015, including the river bottom, hardwoods along sloughs and also any high hardwood hammocks. 2016 cut the remainder [700 ac] of the pines that were 22 years old. So after having the lease for what will be my 22nd season it has changed drastically. Of course we all know clear-cutting of pines is to be expected, but at such a young age? Loosing the hardwoods is what really is sad to me. I have very fond memories of days in the mixed hardwoods watching the game and taking plenty of nice buck. We have taken few deer in the last four years, especially because of the clear-cuts with the tall dog fennels and weeds. obscuring any views. But, it is a new season and the optimism is running high.
So if I can get the tie rod welded we can mow some of those fields. Thanks, Russ

I just saw your post and have a welder and generator. I'm on call this weekend but if your up next weekend or the next I'll do it for you.

Whitetailer

Spearjunkie & sghoghunter,

I was on the property last Wed through Sat. The tractor would turn over, but not start. So I towed it with my truck and when letting out the clutch the rear wheel just stayed locked up, would not turn, so I do not know what the problem is. Thanks for both offers. The tractor is in the front yard, not in the woods. I do not need a welder if the differential is froze up. At this time I do not know if I want to put the money into this tractor, as it may be a total loss. sghoghunter, I will keep you in mind if I need welding services.
Thanks, Russ

billy336

Sounds like the parking brake was on or a stuck brake. If it isn't firing, it's not getting fuel.

bam_bam

don't know how everyone elses season is going but deer sighting for me have been poor. There are no signs of rut. Scrapes and rubs are nonexistent. I only assume its because of dry weather and warm temps. maybe it will pick up eventually.

Whitetailer

Hey Bam Bam, and all.....

I was on the river bottom property for the open of gun for four days. It was cool enough the first three, but got warm. Now let me say this, Our new landowner has harvested 95% of the hardwoods, meaning river bottom and high hammocks. But the Foresters are there now since June and seem they will be cutting for another 6 weeks. Essentially there is not much vertical except some substantial sloughs. I saw a lot of deer, but not the one I wanted. There were lots of scrapes and rubs, in any hardwood area that was left standing. I cannot make it up until the 12th and I hope they are seeking when I get there as we have had a miserable four years with non stop cutting every year. Hoping for cold weather.

Whitetailer

sghoghunter

Once season comes in I don't do any walking around except walking to the stand and I haven't seen any scrapes but have saw a couple rubs around. I've only been in the stand 4 time and have seen 5 bucks and 1 doe. Had a small spike pushing a yearling doe around Saturday morning. A 1 1/2 6pt walked over and smelled her but turned and walked off. I'm thinking this cool from the weekend should have them up moving around a lil more

Whitetailer

sghoghunter

Brian,, You are right on as far as I am concerned. I feel that the best way to take a mature deer and see more is to not go walking or exploring in season. I had a 200 acre area on the bottom of my property that was a no atv area, unless you got a deer. No encroachment but by walking to your stand. Of course now the property has been totally altered by the clear cutting of the hardwoods and pines and now most of the roads will have to be re established and stands be moved next year. Last week twice I saw deer crossing the river to get off of the property in the early morning. Maybe because of the foresters, but maybe not??? Russ