Best Combo for Rookie

rspringer

I am looking to get a good starter fly rod and reel. I mainly bass fish but would occasionally like to catch trout. Is it possible to use one rod for both?

If so, what do you guys recommend for a rookie (something on the cheaper end of things).

Check out the TFO NXT combos. Everything you need right down to the leader. I would get a 6 wt.

You can find these online or at BPS most of the time. Not sure who else around here sells them. Very good combos though and you won't leap past them quickly like most cheap combos.

Bitteroot

Polar Bear Moderator
Try the FlyBox in Marietta for the TFO's or Order from Cabelas also!

Tightliner

Try the FlyBox in Marietta for the TFO's or Order from Cabelas also!

The TFO is a fine rod for the $ (never owned one but have casted quite a few and was really impressed)! You cant go wrong with one. The GL3 is also a rod that performs well for a reasonable price. I've owned a couple with no complaints (well.... other than Loomis customer service's holy-er than thou attitude :mad:). Find you a good shop, and have-em string up a bunch of rods and cast them. Everyones casting style is different, spend a little time and find one that fits your style. Later.......................

rspringer

well, I bought my setup last night at Bass Pro. I got a 6wt 4 pc 9ft TFO professional series with one of the bass pro white water reel. I am pretty pumped about getting to use it this weekend.

well, I bought my setup last night at Bass Pro. I got a 6wt 4 pc 9ft TFO professional series with one of the bass pro white water reel. I am pretty pumped about getting to use it this weekend.

Good for you!!!

Welcome to the addiction. Where you planning on fishing? Cause it's blown out around here.