Best seasoning for boil

mizuno24jad

I’m looking for recommendations on a good seasoning for a low country boil, I have used old bay and zatarins before but like to try new things, anything out there that’s better?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Nothing wrong with Zatarain's or Old Bay. I usually throw a couple pouches of the Zatarain's in there along with one of them little bottles of Old Bay.

Tight Lines

I do lots of boils so I've tried most of the mainstream brands. That and brisket are my go to big meals. Nothing wrong with most of the spice packets...

Old Bay is the most available and good...Zatarain's is probably second...

Until they had a plant burn down (or so I heard) Zatarain's Hot was my go to...can't find it now...

If you like it hot, my new go to is Swampfire...you can get it on Amazon.

If you don't like it as hot, then Zatarain's Pro Boil is good...

If those don't work for you, then Old Bay, Louisiana, Zatarain's will work...or the other's as listed above...

I put in lemons, several sticks of butter, and two large bottles of spicy Italian dressing...the butter and oil in the dressing make the seasoning stick better to the food, and add some other good flavors to make it a little more robust...

You can also do what I do, which is a pot of mild, and a pot of hot...sometimes even 3...mild, medium, and hot...

The Swampfire will have you sweating...it's some kind of good...

Let us know what you try and end up choosing...

Last edited:

georgia_home

old bay for us. wife is allergic to something in zatterans.

bighonkinjeep

Louisiana brand is the one I like best. Super spicy and will really put some zip especially in the corn, mushrooms or anything else with nooks and.crannies for the seasoning to get into.
Got me drooling a little just thinking about it.
I even put a little in the corn meal when frying fish or add a little when making salmon pattys

20231106_210137.jpg

Tight Lines

Louisiana brand is the one I like best. Super spicy and will really put some zip especially in the corn, mushrooms or anything else with nooks and.crannies for the seasoning to get into.
Got me drooling a little just thinking about it.
I even put a little in the corn meal when frying fish or add a little when making salmon pattys

View attachment 1267343
Oh man, never thought of adding that to salmon patties...going to have to try that!

Jester896

Senior Clown
We used Louisiana when I was growing up and I still do. The kind like bighonkinjeep has there. They make a Cajun Fire if you need it. Then lemons and unyon.
Never been real fond of Zatarain's boil in a bag stuff but the liquid isn't bad. I might would try StaleCracker's Cajun Two Step.
There are some good home made ones out there too.
There is Tony's and Konriko in the cabinet for sprinkling SunShine along with Old Bay.

there may be other secrets too like...boil de unyon n lemon but not the seasoning...I have also seen let it roll 3 minutes...fill it with ice and let it sit 30 minutes

Last edited:

bighonkinjeep

Oh man, never thought of adding that to salmon patties...going to have to try that!
Just go easy with it cause its strong, spicy and salty. It only takes a decent pinch or so in salmon pattys. Along with some sauteed onions and bell peppers eggs and cornmeal and then pressed in panko on the outside and man are those pattys outrageously good.