best time for bush hogging in south Georgia?

outdoorman

I have never operated a bush hog before and have about 3 acres of overgrown grass and brush on the lot that I will cut down, then maintain as well as up to 1/2 mile of firebreak.

the local rental place has a 38 hp tractor with 5 ft bush hog that they will deliver.

Can someone tell me what are the best times of year to bush hog to maximize effect in preventing more or faster re-growth?

Thanks

Gator89

Is this grass or pasture land and you just want to keep the weeds down?

If yes, mow it now, then have someone spray weed killer when things start to green up in the spring. Kill the weeds, let the grass grow.

Mowing in the late summer, before seeds mature, can help control regrowth of weeds too.

Without animals grazing, you will likely need to mow a couple of times per year to keep weeds and brush under control.

Hit it first on a cold day in February when the ground bees are in the ground and the leaves are off so you can get an idea of whats on the ground...rocks,stumps,fences,wire....

Then go back AFTER the Turkeys have hatched and AFTER the fawns are smart enough to run.....July 1st at the earliest IMHO.

I cringe when I see people hogging before July 4th weekend.

catch22

As mallard said above......Id wait till late january/feb when its cold and everything is dead so that you can see good.

Go slow....if you've never operated one before. Also a bushhog is for bushes and not trees.....some people make the mistake of thinking a bushhog is like a bulldozer. Go slow and learn what it will do and what it wont. Make sure the RPMs on your tractor are correct when running....so that the mower will work correctly.

We then try to hit it in late summer when the growing period is about over.

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
The first time over it be careful and note where any obstacles are. Iron pipes,gullies,old wells,trash left behind by previous owner etc can be dangerous and costly.

Jim Boyd

Great advice ^

treemanjohn

Banned
O came from a right of way background so I always had to look for trash. Also back into wet or low spots. You vent just run over everything like you're in a tank. Tractors will bury to the belly in a second

I like to walk out a good clean line and then cut from there

MOTS

You may as well plan on renting that tractor several times a year unless you can get it where you can cut it with a zero turn mower. A pre emergent herbicide may slow it down.

Triple C

I'll throw an alternative suggestion at you in lieu of bush hogging. Wait until late winter and disc instead of mowing. Mowing promotes more grass growth. Disking will help release the forb seedbank that's just waiting for something to break ground.

Dr. Craig Harper would tell you to put the bush hog away permanently if you're wanting to create early successional habitat. Other than interior roads, I no longer bush hog anything on my hunting grounds.

Triple C

I just re-read your post and it looks like your desire is to create more of a grass field on 3 acre lot. Bush hogging will certainly accomplish that.

I bought an old farmstead in 2019 12 acres of old field out front. Had all manner of early successional growth in it from sweet gum saplings, persimmon saplings n all manner of other stuff. We built our retirement home here. Been mowing it since then 3 to 4 times a year and could now have hay cut off it if I chose to do so. Took this pic of front portion of field a minute ago n you can see it’s just about all grass now.
B20D6E17-66BF-479D-B802-BDFD9906EE09.jpeg

sleepr71

I agree with Briarpatch. Unless it’s in a dangerous area to burn…I’d Harrow a Firebreak,burn it,then start spraying it as soon as it greens up. Be a whole lot more manageable after that.! IF you choose to bush hog…I’d wait for a COLD day & walk it over good. No telling what May be out there that could bust a Tractor tire,oil pan,etc. Metal objects can puncture the best of tires & old wire + cable will get wound up under a bush hog…and make a mess that’ll make a Preacher cuss,on Sunday?‍?? Flag anything that could tear up a tire,or the mower?

longrangedog

My poor dad would manage to run over a hornet nest built in the weeds about every summer . A Ford 4000 open station won't outrun a bunch of angry hornets and neither could he if he could stop the tractor and get off. Only choice was to sit there and try to swat them with his cap. They always stung him in the face.

They like the head and face that’s for sure I get stung all the time I get into the ones in the ground I’m pouring gas in some I got into friday

Lilly001

I prefer to mow when it’s colder because things clear up as leaves drop AND the heavy clothes give protection from those evil flying devils.

specialk

what others have said....to add......walk the 3 acs. as best you can, looking for debris, holes, etc.......if its your bush hog check gear box oil and grease fittings on both u joints and back wheel.....

uturn

I’d also mention that if you are going to indeed bush hog and will have it long enough there’s no harm in rolling slow at low rpm‘s then mow again once you’ve gone over the whole site…even walking it, it is hard to see and find everything!

Running over a buried or slightly buried piece of cable or the like with the rotary at full song will be an experience you will not soon forget…ask me how I know!