Big Bass Flies

clayfish

What are your big bass flies? I'd like to see pictures.

I've caught bass on the fly but nothing big yet and I just want to see what you guys are catching the big ones on. I'm talking about largemouths and stripers.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
I don't flyfish for bass much but have tyed a few Stealth Bombers for other folks.

Attachments

• Bomber .JPG
    Bomber .JPG
    115.8 KB · Views: 1,226

WinMag.300

Stealth Bomber!

I love those and in fact am going to send you some cash in the future for some more of those Paymaster. That color combo has worked great for me and I only have one left. In fact use the stealth as the main fly and drop a RLD about 10 inches off the back and you will catch big bream nd bass....in fact I was hooking into so many fish my friend just quit and watched me. Ive caught spots, LMs, and SHoalies on them. Any size bass will blister it. My largest so far has been 7lbs on one of those. Frog imitations, clousers, White Zonkers, and WBs catch a fair share also, but none are as fun as the Stealth Bomber!

Attachments

• 0818091955a.jpg
    0818091955a.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 1,198

clayfish

Ok so this is what I'm thinking. I've caught my bigest bass fishing with live shiners so is there anybody who can tie me a fly that looks just like a shiner that's about as big as the one in the picture?

2781027731_329fc663d4.jpg

I'm wanting to catch a 7lb plus LM on my 10wt.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Ok so this is what I'm thinking. I've caught my bigest bass fishing with live shiners so is there anybody who can tie me a fly that looks just like a shiner that's about as big as the one in the picture?

Never tried them but I love a challenge so I will see what I can do. In the mean time Ole TopWater94 posted a pic of a baitfish fly(Puglisi) in his vice. He might help you out as well.

fishinbub

Yep, it would be pretty easy if you have the right materials. I'll see if I can find a pattern for you.

jleach

Go to www.virtualflybox.com and scroll down to the article called Tying Awesome Hair. I think this is what you are looking for. I tied a simular fly using EP fiber and buck tail. Looks really good in the water. Have not caught a fish on it yet but the day I was trying it out I had one following it. I will try to post a pic of it later today.

John

jleach

Here are the ones that I tied. Have not gotten a chance to really use them though. Just went out and did a few test throws.

John

Attachments

• DCP_0045.jpg
    DCP_0045.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,258
  • DCP_0046.jpg
    DCP_0046.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,111
I've had pretty good success with crawfish imitations, but I usually don't even work them on the bottom, just strip it in. But I'm pretty sure I've caught some of my biggest bass on just plain old bead head WB's.

Paymaster

Old Worn Out Mod
Staff member
Those are looking pretty good.

Any progress paymaster?

I have not had a chance. Looks like some others are picking up the slack. I had to attend a close friends Funeral and then my Dad is put in the hospital with clot in the lungs. It has been quite hectic lately. But I will get on it this week.

three08

For a shiner imitation, I haven't found anything better than the very old "Beer Belly Fly." This is a streamer made by taking a big moderately long hook (like say a 4/0)and first tying in your tail like any conventional garden variety streamer.Then you cut a piece of beer or soda can just a tad shorter than the straight shank of the hook, bending it over and gluing it on and both sides together, and then when dry and bonded, cut the bottom to the shape of a shiner's belly. Wrap with thread and cover with glue again. This is to keep sharp jagged edges from tearing the large mylar tubing you'll be laying over it. Then take your large woven mylar tubing (getting hard to find, but you may find it at dress/fabric shops) and slide it over the body you've made, drawing it tight at both ends and tying off with thread. Coat with a thinned coat of epoxy again to make these flies last a lot longer (ususally, at least). Then just tie in your over wing in whatever color or combination of colors you want, wrap the head nice and smooth, and paint some eyes on if you wish. I don't know if the eyes help catch fish, but they seem to help my confidence, so I usually paint them on.

My favorite big bass bug, though, has to be a big, outsized deerhair bug. They're easier to throw to more spots down here in SE Ga. where the weeds and stumps abound, and it's more exciting to see the topwater bite also. Anything on a 3/0 to 4/0 hook with nice long tail and maybe some thin rubber legs (often red) from silicone spinnerbait skirts, and I'm good to go with lots of anticipation and hopefulness ... not to mention the held breath when I think a strike might come. Now THAT, my friends, is FISHIN'!!!