Mulberry Tree in the back yard

ghadarits

I’ve lived in my house since August 1994 and have just discovered that My backyard neighbor has a big Mulberry tree. I like to consider myself a fairly observant person so am surprised I haven’t taken notice of it before this year. Is it possible this is the first time it’s bared fruit? It’s a decent sized tree.
The wildlife is taking advantage of the abundance of berries. I’ve had deer in the backyard every day for two weeks now and the berries don’t look like they’re going to play out any time soon.IMG_7872.jpegIMG_7873.jpegIMG_7855.jpeg

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
The birds will drop seeds all over and the deer will eat the dropped leaves, on the ground, in the fall.

ucfireman

I looked at mine yesterday, loaded with fruit but still green and small.
I hear there is are red and white mulberry, does one ripen earlier?
The one down from dads place has been dropping for a while as well as others along the road side.

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Not sure if they mature differently or not. Tree in my yard has mature fruit and some that are still small and green.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I looked at mine yesterday, loaded with fruit but still green and small.
I hear there is are red and white mulberry, does one ripen earlier?
The one down from dads place has been dropping for a while as well as others along the road side.
Red mulberries are native. White mulberries are Asian exotics. The reds are much better and bigger. And a little earlier.

ghadarits

I think the one in my neighbors yard is the red/native variety. Very sweet fruit and the leaves match the descriptions I’ve read.