When to draw back

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
i saw a deer Wednesday AM and it was a Big Boy! Especially for me on public land, not being the best hunter and no corn piles to keep a deer hanging out. I’m hanging in my saddle, heard something, turned around facing away from the tree. I saw a huge back leg, but nothing else and it’s maybe 30-35 yards max through some fairly large pines. He is On the edge of a bowl shape with lots of oaks and the best feeding sign I’ve found this year. As I turn back to face my tree and freeze, I caught a glimpse of a doe that was in front of him as she stepped forward into the bowl shaped area….he was up on the edge of it. I THINK I SHOULD HAVE DRAWN BACK THEN, in hindsight, but I froze. I’m thinking they’ll come through in front of me? As I face the tree, heart POUNDING, I see 3 more smaller deer start coming in from my right, which is the direction HE was looking. They were a good 50 yards away, but I could see them through the small Timbers. I turned back around and this time HE was in pretty much the same place, facing the same way. But now, all I could see was his neck and the backside of his head. I see smooth chocolate MASSIVE bases and fat tall g2s…..a Giant in my case! I turn back around facing my tree. At this point I have to freeze, cause now those other deer are within 35 yards and coming in fast. Within seconds they are below me, in front of me and I am having the time of my life! My heart is pounding and I’m praying HE comes to me. I hear heavier steps coming from behind, but it’s another doe. I won my stare downs with 2 of those smaller deer, and that doe, but I watched all five of them gradually head out in front of me.……but He never showed up. After a few minutes I turned back around and he was gon. I never heard him leave and never saw him walk the same direction as the others. I stayed a few more hours before getting down but no more deer.
As the scenario goes, this is high traffic public land. I had a cell cam out there for two months (snake locked) and have pictures of more hikers and hunters than deer….literally! But I do have a young 8 and a few does So I know there are deer here. When I scouted this area, I finally Found feeding sign, and it was abundant. I found a Perfect tree to climb, so I tacked it and the trail to it. After tacking the tree I continued scouting and within 50 yards of my tacked tree(same one I hunted From), I find a cell camera. Not surprising, but it’s close to my new set up. About 20 yards behind the cell camera, I find a stand. Again not surprising but it does indicate the amount of pressure/competition I’m facing.
So when to draw? How long to hold at full draw? I practice holding and I feel like I can hold a fairly long time…..85% let off doesn’t hurt either. I feel like had I drawn back when I first saw his leg, he may have moved into a position to get himself shot. I’m playing the scenario in my mind over and over.……imagine that!
I think if I’m lucky enough to even see deer they’ll be cruising through pretty quick. So, I ,think next time I see a deer I’ll just draw back and find out just how long I can hold it there. Good idea? :huh: I don’t have much experience or many chances. But like my friend said, if I keep messing around out there I just might just luck up and kill a nice buck one day :bounce:

Hunter922

Drawing and waiting is not the best idea.
Even getting your bow in hand early and holding it for 20 minutes is also not the best. You are fatiguing muscles that you may need to hold at full draw when they come into range. It doesn't sound like you had an actual shot opportunity.
For me.. I almost refuse to pick up my bow until the deer are within 35-40 unless it is obvious the buck isn't stopping and is headed into a shooting lane inside 30 relatively quick. I like to only hold my bow as little as I can. Hold a bow while a deer works his way to you can be exhausting. I've also had my hand and arm go numb from my wrist sling and bow weight waiting on a big buck to close the distance. I just try to get in position for the shot first and leave my bow alone until I know its happening.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Without ranging him, I’d bet he wasn’t more than 35, probably closer to 30 Yards max. I’m thinking if he’d have just turned… and I was at full draw. I had plenty of space between the trees and could have center punched his left leg. Can’t help but to second guess……

notnksnemor

The Great and Powerful Oz
Just my 2 cents.
If this were on private, low pressure land, I would wait until he presented a shot before drawing.
If a doe sees you and snorts, there's a good chance he will go on alert but not immediately run off.

On public land, you did the right thing. If a doe saw you and snorted he would be gone in a flash and you wouldn't see him again till next year.
You left yourself the chance at him this year.

ASH556

Personally, bow in hand and drawing are 2 different events. I realize you’re in a saddle, so maybe a little different. In hunt out of a climber 99%!of the time. If I see a deer I’m willing to shoot, I get on my feet and bow in hand. Otherwise, just sit perfectly still. Depending on the distance and angle, I may even close my eyes. I got busted for blinking once (LOL). As for drawing, that’s harder and situationally dependent. Usually as late as possible though. Muscle fatigue will wreck your shot. Also, sometimes it might be better to let them walk past and then draw. Quartering away is better than quartering to if the wind and situation permit.

James12

I agree on getting caught holding your bow too long. Every situation is different of course, but I always try and draw when they’re not looking (duh) or when moving. Meaning if there isn’t a clean opportunity to draw.

I saddle hunt, and did something different this year. I don’t film so I recently started using my bow as cover on its hanger (on my preferred shooting side). When the leaves are gone I feel it helps breakup my silhouette. I hid behind my bow on the last deer shot until I needed to grab it. In the past I’d keep it hanging on other side and pull it around, now it’s literally in my face. Less movement to get ready too.

Attachments

• IMG_2346.png
    IMG_2346.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 32

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Thanks for chiming in y’all! I know every scenario is different and on private with lots of deer, waiting isnt too hard to do. I’m freaking out if I even see a deer on public Grounds, Well sorta. I’ve somehow managed to put myself in the position to have killed several nice bucks, but yet to actually complete the task.
I think what’s making me crazy is just not having drawn on that buck. I have to get drawn back! On PL, I’ve never really watched deer for more than a few minutes as they pass by. Even if it’s gingerly and feeding as they go, it’s seldom more than a few minutes. I’ve watched deer for an hour on private property with all the goodies making them stick around. I may have to learn the hard way, but right now, I’m leaning towards drawing back as soon as possible and seeing how long I can hold it back. I do practice holding at full draw for long periods, but have never timed it or put it to the test.
James, if I sit with knees against tree, bow on top of my thigh with everything connected and ready to draw, I can remain dead still For long periods. Then I’ll stand and draw almost simultaneously. But If I’m leaning and trying to remain still, I’ve had my legs shake dang near out from underneath me! I’m still trying to figure that one out, but I am practicing my breathing a lot lately.

sportsman94

If you do have to draw early or pick up your bow early what I do is have the bow to my strong side (left side) and rest my drawing hand on the bridge and the bottom cam on my knee. It seems to take a lot of the fatigue out of the equation other than pulling your wrist strap. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to what you did. If you drew back and shot the deer you would have been a hero. If you drew back and got busted you would have felt like a zero. That’s one of the things I’ve always liked about bow hunting. It’s the highest of highs and lowest of lows. Now for some bad advice in my experience regarding drawing with multiple eyes around. It seems to me you can get away with drawing in front of fawns 9/10 times. They seem to look and ignore you or just keep staring until they lose interest. Good luck and hope you catch up to him

notnksnemor

I agree on getting caught holding your bow too long. Every situation is different of course, but I always try and draw when they’re not looking (duh) or when moving. Meaning if there isn’t a clean opportunity to draw.

I saddle hunt, and did something different this year. I don’t film so I recently started using my bow as cover on its hanger (on my preferred shooting side). When the leaves are gone I feel it helps breakup my silhouette. I hid behind my bow on the last deer shot until I needed to grab it. In the past I’d keep it hanging on other side and pull it around, now it’s literally in my face. Less movement to get ready too.
Agree on keeping bow vertical when on stand.

To go from a hanging vertical bow to a bow at full draw doesn't change the visible lines of the bow that much.

At close range, going from a horizontal line of a bow laying down and vertical at draw can be a noticeable change to an alert deer.
I believe deer notice changes in their environment as much as they do motion.

hunter84

Your situation was tough you had several sets of eyes on you and your target buck was in a different direction than the others. sometimes things just don't work out, sounds like you did your best in that situation I think it's better to just let him go as to have spooked him. he didn't know you were there so maybe he will come back.

Kris87

Without re-reading your post again, I would have simply grabbed my bow, and got into position to take the shot immediately. Then I would have not taken my eyes off of him, unless it was for a split second to keep track of all the does. I range every deer I shoot unless I know they're inside 20 yds. That would have been my first thing once I got into position.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
If you do have to draw early or pick up your bow early what I do is have the bow to my strong side (left side) and rest my drawing hand on the bridge and the bottom cam on my knee. It seems to take a lot of the fatigue out of the equation other than pulling your wrist strap. I don’t think there’s a right or wrong answer to what you did. If you drew back and shot the deer you would have been a hero. If you drew back and got busted you would have felt like a zero. That’s one of the things I’ve always liked about bow hunting. It’s the highest of highs and lowest of lows. Now for some bad advice in my experience regarding drawing with multiple eyes around. It seems to me you can get away with drawing in front of fawns 9/10 times. They seem to look and ignore you or just keep staring until they lose interest. Good luck and hope you catch up to him
This is exactly how I hold my bow, but holding my thumb release attached to loop, resting my right forearm on my bridge, knees against the tree. Even with my heart pounding I can remain still in this position. if I remember, I practice breathing. I need to get back in the tree and see another deer! Don’t really care about getting a big one Really, but one day I’d like to put one on the wall…..it’s already been approved with the wife!

Kris87

This is exactly how I hold my bow, but holding my thumb release attached to loop, resting my right forearm on my bridge, knees against the tree. Even with my heart pounding I can remain still in this position. if I remember, I practice breathing. I need to get back in the tree and see another deer! Don’t really care about getting a big one Really, but one day I’d like to put one on the wall…..it’s already been approved with the wife!

Hey, if you just need some experience killing deer with a bow, you're more than welcome to make the drive to Athens and shoot some of mine. I have a target rich environment at all my spots. :)

Gut_Pile

Take Kris87 up on his offer. The only true way to get good at shooting deer with a bow, is to shoot as many deer as you can with a bow. You're going to learn something every single time and it's only going to improve your chances next time you cross paths with the big guy

notnksnemor

I always enjoyed watching the "head bob".
You know the deer that will start to put it's head down and then jerk it up to see if it can catch something moving.
If you watch them long enough, they will usually develop a pattern of how many time they "bob" before actually eating something.

Hillbilly stalker

A little trick that you can use that will help when your at full draw…..if you have to hold your draw for longer than normal, drop you elbow against your side and you will have more strength and can hold longer. You can then raise your elbow back up when it’s time to touch off the shot. I’m talking seconds or maybe a minute or 2. And of course try it in the yard first, I’ve never shot a back tension release, there’s a chance that it might cause a problem. It works, I’ve done it several times over the years.

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Hey, if you just need some experience killing deer with a bow, you're more than welcome to make the drive to Athens and shoot some of mine. I have a target rich environment at all my spots. :)
Don’t tempt me @Kris87 , I’m on vacation next week and plan on hunting most of it! Really?!? Man that’s so generous, can’t thank you enough! Wheels are spinning now…..

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
A little trick that you can use that will help when your at full draw…..if you have to hold your draw for longer than normal, drop you elbow against your side and you will have more strength and can hold longer. You can then raise your elbow back up when it’s time to touch off the shot. I’m talking seconds or maybe a minute or 2. And of course try it in the yard first, I’ve never shot a back tension release, there’s a chance that it might cause a problem. It works, I’ve done it several times over the years.
I haven’t tried that, but can visualize what your saying. When I’m holding at full draw, I find myself able to slowly breathe and kinda lock it in place. I have been able to make solid shots too, but I think I’ll practice holding a little longer…..like a lot.

I always enjoyed watching the "head bob".
You know the deer that will start to put it's head down and then jerk it up to see if it can catch something moving.
If you watch them long enough, they will usually develop a pattern of how many time they "bob" before actually eating something.
Oh yeah they try to surprise you and they aren’t looking away, just getting another angle! I’ve watched enough deer now that I know if I win the initial staring contest they won’t pay much attention after that. Or, they will continue the face off, stomp and have fits.
I’ve seen a deer stand still for 45+ minutes staring intently where I was the day before …..only this time she was 10 yards beside me :bounce: boy that was nerve wrecking!

notnksnemor

Also, watch their ears. If they have an ear pointed your way no matter which way they are walking/feeding, then they know you are there.
There could be a whole thread on just tips.

An old archer many moons ago told me "If you can see their eyelashes, they're probably in bow range."