Big turkey problem

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Up to the woods today to survey things, look for turkey sign, check camera's, repair a couple tower blinds. And to take notice of something that has been mentioned in previous post about why the turkey population may be down.
Riding several of our woods roads today, taking notice of fire ant hills. Believe me folks, they are every ten to twenty yards, even in low areas. That's just along the woods roads, imagine all those out of sight of the road. Knowing how fire ants immediately take to any scent, know they will take to turkeys hatching out. Or any other new born wildlife. Could be that fire ants could be more of a threat than predators. If not, they're sure to be a huge part of the threat to small wildlife.
Oh, about the turkey sign, saw one hen, no gobbler tracks anywhere. Cameras had lots of hogs, does, small bucks and one fine 8 point.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I keep a bag of fire ant poison on my buggy from now until first frost. Every one I see in my rumbling and plundering, gets a dost. Some say it doesn`t help. I think it does.

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
There are plenty of ants on a 45 minute old deer blood trail. I imagine a hatching nest could easily take a beating. I'd love to find a nest to put a camera on during the laying stage.

Dupree

Son, you need to start poisoning them.

Son

Gone But Not Forgotten
Son, you need to start poisoning them.
Can you imagine how much poison that would take on 1200 acres? I do put poison on the mounds near the blinds. Because they will come in a blind if you eat in there, and it's not pleasant to step in one in the dark.

CaptKeith

They are the biggest threat to our smaller wildlife in my opinion.

buckpasser

Taurus SC

It’s not labeled for fire ants, but if you just so happen to be treating for termites in the area, the ants all get real dead for like 18 months.

Sixes

When we had a lot of armadillos, our fire ant problem disappeared. When the armadillos disappeared, out fire ant problem returned.

I'm beginning to wonder if they are not better for the land than the fire ants

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
I said the same thing years ago. I have more rabbits and quail around the house because of me killing them.
I buy it all the time

Latest posts