Boberg XR9-S My 1st real range session

cwc

Today was my first real range day with the new Boberg XR9-S. Edited to Remove Profanity ----Long story short, this is a awesome gun!

DSC_0001.jpg

I put 5 different types of ammo thru it. Edited to Remove Profanity ----
50 rounds of 124gr. Gold Dots
50 rounds of 124gr. HST +p
50 rounds of 115gr. Silver Tips (1 malfunction)
50 rounds of 124gr. Nato FMJ
100 rounds of 115gr. Bulk FMJ

DSC_0003.jpg

300 rounds total were shot (well 299) and I had no hand pain what so ever. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I feel that if you wanted to the gun and your hand would have Zero problems shooting a 1000 rounds in a day. Edited to Remove Profanity ----It’s unlike some of the other heavy hitting pocket guns out there in that it does not abuse your hand. Edited to Remove Profanity ----The XR9-S IMO has softer recoil than guns like the Kahr PM9, KelTec PF-9 and the Rohrbaugh R9 (yes I have owned and shot each quite a bit). Edited to Remove Profanity ----The back strap contour is very comfortable and I feel this aids in its shooting comfort level. Edited to Remove Profanity ----The Boberg points naturally and the sites are outstanding for a pocket pistol.

DSC_0006.jpg

Its easy to see that the gun is loaded by looking in the window. Edited to Remove Profanity ----The rim of the bullet can easily be seen. Edited to Remove Profanity ----

DSC_0012.jpg

The mags load fairly easy up until round 7, it’s a bit stiff then. Edited to Remove Profanity ----As a side note, Edited to Remove Profanity ----loading the mags “backwards” and without a follower seems strange at first. Edited to Remove Profanity ----After the 7th or 8th reload I thought nothing of it. Edited to Remove Profanity ----Accuracy was better than I expected from such a small gun. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I do believe that it can out shoot me (I’m just a OK shot). Edited to Remove Profanity ----I fired all rounds today at a range of 10 yards. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I started each type of ammo on a fresh target and had 7 shot groups ranging from 2”-5”. Edited to Remove Profanity ---- Edited to Remove Profanity ----

IMAG0163.jpg

IMAG0164.jpg

I did have one bullet malfunction on the 121st shot of the day.

DSC_0014.jpg

It would have been the 135th plus ever how many shots were fired thru it for factory testing since it was clean. Edited to Remove Profanity ---- Edited to Remove Profanity ----A Winchester Silver Tip bullet separated from its case somewhere during its travel from the magazine to the chamber. Edited to Remove Profanity ----Clearing the jam was simple. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I flipped the gun upside down, pulled the slide back and both the bullet and case along with some of the gun powder fell out. Edited to Remove Profanity ----

DSC_0015.jpg

There was a good bit of gun powder left in the action. Edited to Remove Profanity ----Since no one was shooting at me (Thank God), I decided to pause the range session long enough to field strip it (it’s very, Edited to Remove Profanity ----very simple) and clean it before firing any more rounds. Edited to Remove Profanity ----

DSC_0016.jpg

Later I spoke with Arne Boberg about it and he advised that it could have been a poor crip job on the bullet or possibly a dirty chamber causing a pressure spike. Edited to Remove Profanity ---- He said that a pressure spike would cause the slide to cycle much faster than usual and that could have caused the separation. Edited to Remove Profanity ----He recommends that if your going to shoot it a lot at the range to take a bore snake or brush with you and run it thru the barrel ever 100 rounds or so. Edited to Remove Profanity ----Once back home I got out the owners manual Edited to Remove Profanity ----to see the recommended oiling points again. Edited to Remove Profanity ----The owners manual is fantastic. http://www.bobergarms.com/profiles/blogs/owner-s-manual
Directions and photos are spot on. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I did notice from the fired cases I looked at, around 50 or so, that all had good deep primer strikes. Edited to Remove Profanity ----There were some dings and marks on all of the fired cases I looked at.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

I'm not a reloader so case condition is not a big deal to me AFTER it's shot. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I have no idea if the marks would affect it's ability to be reloaded.

After shooting the Boberg XR9-S today I like it even more. Edited to Remove Profanity ----It is a fantastic gun. Edited to Remove Profanity ----Arne has hit a home run with the design and manufacture of his dream. Edited to Remove Profanity ----The fit and finish are top notch. Edited to Remove Profanity ----This gun will rank VERY high in world that already has some really nice guns on the market. Edited to Remove Profanity ----If your looking for a pocket 9mm I don’t think there is a better one available. Edited to Remove Profanity ---- (for people that know me that’s saying A LOT) Edited to Remove Profanity ----I feel very lucky to have received one of the first Bobergs Edited to Remove Profanity ----from the first batch of guns to be shipped out. Edited to Remove Profanity ----If you can’t tell I am a very proud XR9-S owner.

http://www.bobergarms.com/

And for all my Seecamp brothers here is a comparison photo. Edited to Remove Profanity ----The Boberg will be accompanying my Seecamp alot.

IMAG0162.jpg

I forgot to add that the trigger pull is smooooooooth. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I don't have a trigger pull scale but I would say that the advertised 5.5lb pull sounds / feels spot on. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I have also been asked if it truly is pocketable gun. Edited to Remove Profanity ----I have a Meco front pocket holster that I am using and I have no problem with it i the front pocket of my jeans and cargo shorts. Edited to Remove Profanity ----(I'll take a picture of it in the pocket tomorrow)

leoparddog

I think you won the award for the most "edited to remove profanity" replacements in one post. Do you cuss that much when you talk to people? ::ke:

Congrats on the new shooting iron. Looks like a nice pocket pistol.

cwc

I just looked at the post. I have no idea why the "edited to remove profanity" 's came from or why they are there. I never used any profanity in the post. In fact, it was a direct copy/past from this post I made on the Seecamp forum. http://www.seecamp.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1316205835
As you can see, there is no profanity in the post.

To answer your question NO I do not use profanity when talking to people. I do remember the last time I did use a curse word in July of 1997.

I wonder what happened?

Wiskey_33

Nice writeup.

Gumbo1

Enjoyed your post and I like the way that pistol looks!!
I have had a few posts where the "edited to remove profanity" showed up on it's own.........

Gumbo1

And I will say I have never had a bullet separate from a case during firing "like yours did". Your pistol seems to have a strong "striker" pin and spring........