Boss Shells

MudDucker

Staff member
SUX!

My grandson has a 410 youth model. The only non-lead shells I could find were boss at $36 a box.

Took him on his first duck hunt this morning and the brass isn't right. Birds in his face and the shell jammed without seating, so not shooting. Tried shells from 2 boxes, both got the same result.

I had heard that folks had issues with their 12 g shells.

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
SUX!

My grandson has a 410 youth model. The only non-lead shells I could find were boss at $36 a box.

Took him on his first duck hunt this morning and the brass isn't right. Birds in his face and the shell jammed without seating, so not shooting. Tried shells from 2 boxes, both got the same result.

2 buddies had issues with their 12 gauge shells not wanting to feed, chamber or eject.

tradhunter98

Had a buddy have 3 not go off the last hunt. All 3 were the lead shell of the volley. So I guess you could say it cost him 3 separate times.

I was given 3 to try, they hit hard all 3 shots. Still not worth the money for 12ga IMO.

chase870

Possum Sox
Once you hit 1400 fps with steel your good to go, 40 maybe 45 yards is about the max effective range of a shotgun anyway.

kmckinnie

BOT KILLER MODERATOR
Staff member
SUX!

Time to get a 20 ga grandpa

WOODIE13

Once you hit 1400 fps with steel your good to go, 40 maybe 45 yards is about the max effective range of a shotgun anyway.
I've been known to push it a little further, really like the Hevi Metal 2s.

WOODIE13

My buddy owns a gun shop, his boys shoot TSS in 410, 50 yards they are DOA. One shoots a single shot, other shoots a 410 auto

ghadarits

I've heard of others having issues with Boss shells and I suspect some of that is from damp shells from what I've seen. I've been shooting Boss for 4 years 20ga and 12ga and have never had an issue. The ducks do have an issue though because I find them about 33% more effective than steel period. Fewer cripples = more dead ducks for me. It might just be a false confidence thing but they work well for me.

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
I shoot a .410 O/U, with TSS it’s a killer at 40 yds. It likely will do further but I don’t risk it.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
I've heard of others having issues with Boss shells and I suspect some of that is from damp shells from what I've seen. I've been shooting Boss for 4 years 20ga and 12ga and have never had an issue. The ducks do have an issue though because I find them about 33% more effective than steel period. Fewer cripples = more dead ducks for me. It might just be a false confidence thing but they work well for me.
Even finishing off cripples, you gotta get lucky with steel to kill one on the water, usually takes several shots . The boss stuff will finish em in 1 shot.

ghadarits

Even finishing off cripples, you gotta get lucky with steel to kill one on the water, usually takes several shots . The boss stuff will finish em in 1 shot.
This is very true they're deadly on any swimming birds.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
The Boss .410 turkey loads lock my Stevens single shot tighter than a drum. They are loaded way too hot and swell terrible.

leroy

Same here, we have between 8-10 in our group of duck hunters that use boss including myself and ive heard of 0 problems.

MudDucker

Staff member

Maybe with steel, but I got a bud who shoots tss18 shells and he is hot to 70 yards.

MudDucker

Staff member

These were brand new never been wet shells.

I also saw some folks who said their 12 gauge shells from boss were coming apart where the plastic seperated from the brass base.

MudDucker

Staff member

Grandpa didn't chose the gun. Grandpa suggested strongly that he start with a 28 gauge. I can find losts of non-toxic 28 guage shells.