Better than I deserve…..Turkey #2!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
After my cousins amazing birthday party Saturday night, I was up at 4 am! I Had one last chance for a short Sunday morning hunt before having to come home. I had hens come in right beside my blind and I got to watch them dusting and doing there thing while a gobbler was sounding off a couple hundred yards away to my 2 o’clock. He finally came out on the far side of the field and I know he saw my decoys. But He just kept going, heading in the direction I heard a second gobbler that was way off in the distance at my 10 o’clock. I was really excited to see so many egg layers this morning….I bet I saw 7-10 different hens and dusting in several areas. I said a thank you prayer and was 100% happy with the bird I got Friday night. The weekend was amazing!
That gobbler kept heading away from me towards the 10 o’clock and seemed to be 1000 yards away, but I could still hear him! I heard that other guy that was already back there too. I was getting loud on the Lynch foolproof 101 box call and after a while, one of them boys sounded closer. I was watching a hen on the far side of the field and she flew off in the direction the gobbler went. I thought she flew to him and he’d never come back. I think maybe she saw him and wanted no part of it cause within 30 seconds I could see his head poking out the far edge of the field……I actually had my binoculars with me this time too!!
He came onto the field and headed my direction. About 50 yards Past my decoys the field slopes Down and out of view from the blind. Then, it’s a good 200 yard stretch before you can see the far side and you can only see it about 50 yards deep. When he disappeared I set my phone up and started recording. It was a very long 5 minutes, but hen I saw a dark spot, then his head and the show really began…..but the Epic Fail was about to happen too!
I didn’t wait long before I had the bead on his head. Take a Deep breath, let half of it out and “Click”……really?!? I heard a hen’s wings flap beside me and the Tom got keyed up and took a few steps away, but didn’t leave. After a few seconds I ejected the shell, but somehow 2 shells got stacked in the receiver and it’s now jammed! Im pulling on the bolt but it’s stuck and I’m having to turn the gun over and use a finger to get the s extra shell out! I finally dig one out and the last shells slides in it’s place. I put the bead on his head again and BOOM! DRT! I was beside myself and in disbelief! Oh yeah, the Turkey shows up about the 5 minutes mark.

B494158C-B141-4F08-A688-7C04456042BE.jpegDBEF14AB-8295-4FEB-BD28-0EF128A633B7.jpegB700856A-2575-412D-A56C-F306BF815DF9.jpegE1BDCFF6-889E-4CEE-A327-431E2A8502B2.jpeg

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Really lucky, congrats

Blackston

They gonna nickname you the “ Ringer”
On next year’s turkey challenge!!!!!! Congratulations couldn’t happen to a better fella

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
Real nice big all around bird too friendly!
Very happy for you!!! You kept workin hard at it and now you deserve cloud 9 for a while! Congrats bro!!

mike1225

Awesome! Way to go!

bfriendly

Bigfoot friendly
Real nice big all around bird too friendly!
Very happy for you!!! You kept workin hard at it and now you deserve cloud 9 for a while! Congrats bro!!
I certainly am on cloud 9! I hardly remember the 4+ hour ride home, my face hurts from smiling and I’m about to fry some up! I can’t believe the first she’ll never went off!

E3CFEB03-026F-42B5-A15D-731365E08B70.jpeg8BA34CEE-76F3-446B-A6DE-165D3FA8C218.jpeg

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I certainly am on cloud 9! I hardly remember the 4+ hour ride home, my face hurts from smiling and I’m about to fry some up! I can’t believe the first she’ll never went off!

View attachment 1226020View attachment 1226021
There's been talk on this forum of those shells not goin off.
I've used some and my friends and family have used some and we havn't had a fail ta fire yet. But others have.

Watchin the video, every time your shot gun action would make noise and the tom would respond, I'd cringe and tense up JUST AS IF I DIDN'T KNOW THE BIRD WAS ALREADY DEAD!! Made me nervous

chrislibby88

View attachment 1226020View attachment 1226021
Had a shell of hevi-shot not go off last year. Managed to slowly rack a new one in and get the bird. Terrible feeling when it just clicks though.