Braid setup - bait casting

ASH556

I'm old and getting older. Heck, I'm so old I still have 14lb Stren Mono on 2 of my 3 baitcasters. My third setup is an old Shimano Bantam Curado (green) with 40 or 50lb green Powerpro braid and a 20lb Fluoro leader. It's been my dedicated Texas/Carolina rig rod for several years and it works great for that. However, I was fishing yesterday and broke off my rig in a blowdown. I decided to switch to a weightless Senko and ended up wearing them out on it. Great time. That got me thinking, I still want to keep that rod Rigged for weighted worm fishing, but would like to set up one of my other rods for senkos. The reel is a Shimano Calcutta 201B. What weight and color of braid should I go with? I was thinking to go a little lighter on this setup, especially with the Fluoro leader. Since I'm using a leader, would it be ok to go with a more hi vis braid to see it better for strikes on a falling senko? I really like the way that hi viz blue looks.

Thanks for any help!

Coenen

Line diameter is a big factor with braid on a baitcaster; too thin and it'll bury up on the spool and cause issues. Pick a mainline with a diameter that matches up with an "average" size mono.

Your leader is where you really size down to be a more finesse-y.

BoosterC

Yes Hi viz is good for older eyes while using 7 to 8 ft leader. Today's braids are even thinner 20-40lb braid with the multicord weave.

Ajohnson0587

I use 65lb braid on my bait casters due to it bunching up with 30lb braid and causing the worst backlashes ever. I have hi-viz on 2 of 3 flipping rods to be able to see if the line is swimming off, My punching/frog rod has 65lb grey braid from seagar.

doomtrpr_z71

I use 18lb braid with a fluorocarbon leader for my weightless senkos, I've found 30lb to be a good middle of the road diameter and you can get hiviz jbraid in a multicolor for pretty cheap, the jbraid grand also has a blue color I use for flats fishing.

ASH556

I'd go with spinning set up for weightless soft plastics.
That's usually what I've done, especially for flukes and trick worms. However, the Senko is a bit heavier and has no issues on a bait caster. After feeling it on the other setup I mentioned, I wanted to keep going in that direction.

My Tackle Warehouse order finally arrived (2nd day air ordered on the 21st, was supposed to deliver on the 24th) Wednesday and I spooled up the Calcutta with 40lb hi viz yellow Power Pro and then about a 10ft 10lb fluoro (Seguar Red) leader. I got down to the pond last night from about 8:30 to 9:15 and had good success on the wacky senko. This may be my new favorite setup!

OleCountryBoy

I stopped using braid on casters, too aggravating with minimal value. But, all my spinners have P-Pro. I'm a Stren Mono Clear Blue fan too, after 40+ using it, I wouldn't try/buy anything else.

TomC

Fluorocarbon and good mono for me on baitcasters.........braid = foul language and frustration. Think I saved one spool of braid if I ever need to escape and repel down from a second story fire!

Darkhorse

I use mono on my baitcasters used for crankbaits and other treble hook plugs. Mono stretches, a fairly light drag, and rods designed for crankbaits will boat more fish.
On my other baitcasters used for worms and other plastics I use 20 lb. Hi Viz yellow Power Pro. I can throw most of my baits weightless with my setups helped by lots of backyard practice.
All my spinning reels are spooled with braid mainly due to the little line twist you get with braid.
I don't get any of the line burying itself into the spool probably due to how I spool my reels. I attach one end of a spool to a post or other solid object then walk away while unspooling the amount of line I want to put on the reel. Then I attach the line to the spool with a uni knot, tighten the drag, and start reeling while walking back towards where the line is attached to the solid object. I keep a good bend in the rod the entire time. The object being to spool the line on as tightly as possible.

Latest posts