Broccoli

Shadow11

I've never had a lot of luck with broccoli, cabbage, or cauliflower. I've tried fall/spring a few different times. Usually it's a weather or bug problem, and I have to pick when it's small to get anything. Greens like kale, turnip, collards, and mustard usually do just fine.

I grabbed a 6 pack each of bonny cabbage, broccoli, and cauliflower plants at Lowe's awhile back. I figured it was too late to mess with that stuff, but the broccoli actually did better than it ever has.

The cauliflower got destroyed by bugs, and it's right next to the broccoli. The cabbage has small heads now, but I'm pretty sure they're gonna be full of worms. Probably trash. It was directly on the other side of the broccoli in the same row.

I broke off this nice head of broccoli just now. I looked all over, and no worms or anything. Still another big head out there. Definitely surprised me.

Pics not working, but this one did atleast.

20240518_075609.jpg

Last edited:

sportsman94

Great job and a beautiful head of broccoli. I’ve only ever grown it in the fall. Never seen bugs in the actual head of broccoli, but those cabbage worms will hit the foliage hard!

B. White

Looks awfully good. I've had better luck in the fall, but tried some in the spring anyway. They are just now starting to look like they may put some on. Planted in a shadier spot, so hope they don't go to seed quick. I'll be happy with anything 1/4 of that one.

Never had worms in any, but I have had them in cauliflower. Didn't hurt anything. Break up florets, save worms, feed to chickens. I've never seen where they had fed on the part I eat. Always thought they would just get in there and come out to eat the leaves.

deersled

Look closely in the floret. Those worms can hide very well. My wife soaks the heads in salt water for a few minutes. This will typically expose/kill the worms. Worse case.......just dont look and eat the whole thing:tip:

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Broccoli is easy to grow here, except for them durn cabbage worms.