Bulk Ag Lime in Crisp County

Xfactor

I'm looking for bulk lime to be delivered in Crisp County, who should I look up for that? I keep coming up with dead ends. Thanks in advance!

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
Agri-afc at 229-276-1600 or Crop Production services.
You can try Helena, but I’m not sure if they spread lime. 273-1379 for Helena.
229-276-2612 for the Crisp Co. extension office, they’ll for sure know who will spread lime.

Xfactor

Thanks for the replies y'all . I'm just looking to have it dumped and I will spread it. Where some of these plots are, you can't get a truck or a buggy in there. I'll try them on Monday!

fireman32

"Useless Billy" Fire Chief.
If all else fails, there’s a tractor supply in town. They have it by the 40 pound bag.

Xfactor

Xfactor, bulk lime cannot be spread with most small spreaders without the correct agitater. Good luck.

I'm looking at the Side Spreader right now which can spread wet Ag Lime. Depending on cost I'll probably go with that. If it has an outrageous cost, I'll probably stick to a standard adjustable spreader and pelletized lime.

Xfactor

How many tons you want?

Looking at close to 8 tons but I'd have to check my paperwork again. This leads to another question, I've read many responses and its about 50/50. If the report states I need 2 tons per acre, is that pelletized or Ag Lime? I've been told it's 10% of Ag Lime when using pelletized so basically 200Lbs of Pelletized per acre vs 2000Lbs of Ag Lime. I've read till I'm blue in the face so what have you all done and what has worked for you?

Thanks from a wanabe farmer!

doomtrpr_z71

Looking at close to 8 tons but I'd have to check my paperwork again. This leads to another question, I've read many responses and its about 50/50. If the report states I need 2 tons per acre, is that pelletized or Ag Lime? I've been told it's 10% of Ag Lime when using pelletized so basically 200Lbs of Pelletized per acre vs 2000Lbs of Ag Lime. I've read till I'm blue in the face so what have you all done and what has worked for you?

Thanks from a wanabe farmer!
The soil test would be AG lime, it's going to be hard to get 8 tons delivered, most won't do less than a semi load. Pelletized is not 10%, more like 80% it just reacts quicker so you end up putting the same amount out spread over a longer time period. Irwinville ag services did have a bunch they were cutting discounts on in quantity.

Xfactor

The soil test would be AG lime, it's going to be hard to get 8 tons delivered, most won't do less than a semi load. Pelletized is not 10%, more like 80% it just reacts quicker so you end up putting the same amount out spread over a longer time period. Irwinville ag services did have a bunch they were cutting discounts on in quantity.

So If I'm reading this correctly, if it calls for 2000Lbs that is equal to 1600Lbs in Pelletized?

Canuck5

Food Plot advisor extraordinaire !
There's lots of "depends" on the answer and the only suggestion I can make, is get lime out there, worked in the ground and keep retesting yearly, until you get a good comfort level for what you have.

This bag, near the bottom, states that (in this case) 1814 pounds of "this" pelletized lime is equal to 2000 pounds of AG lime that has a CCE (Calcium Carbonate Equivalent) of 90 ... something %. Not all lime is created equal.

Lime bag.jpg

Canuck5

And then you have to know what CCE is, of the AG lime you'll buy .......

Lime CCE.JPG

Canuck5

So, get lime worked into the soil and retest the same time (ruffly) each year. It may take 3 years for AG lime to do it's job, because of particle size, but that's ok. You may not have to relime for a few years.

Milkman

Deer Farmer Moderator
Staff member
Pelletized lime can react quickly but not last as long. If you have equipment to do pelletized then do it now.

If it were me I would put 25-50 % of the recommendation in pelletized and figure to supplement every year or two with more.

Jim Boyd

I bought an old, decrepit lime spreader and just get 20,000 lbs dumped on the ground.

I repaired / refurbed the spreader some years ago. Fill with FEL and pull with SXS.

Think it holds 12-1500 lbs each fill.

On rough ground, I put 3-4K lbs per acre and it lands in the upper 6’s for pH.

Cheapest way I have found to do it.

My ag supplier is tapped out this year so we just agreed to do it next year - that is to say - lime some plots I have not done yet.

Good luck.

Think I paid $4-500 for the spreader. I see them sitting around not being used pretty often.