Bull Red Rigs

Chap

I fish lighter than a lot of other people. I go with 30lb braid and a 20lb fluoro leader. I usually go with a 10ft leader and tie in to a short coated wire leader, usually no more than 8-10 inches long. Usually a 4/0 or 5/0 circle hook. If I can only find the schoolies I drop down to a 3/0. I use a plastic bead to keep the sinker off of the knot. The size sinker depends on where I'm fishing. If I'm surf fishing I use a 3 or 4 oz pyramid or bank sinker. If I'm in the inshore creeks in my Gheenoe, I just use a 2 oz.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
This is it...

Screenshot_20200921-182008.png

If he breaks you off, all he's carrying is the hook, and line. No sinker...

Also with the weight riding close to the bait on the cast, it flies very well. Finally, the frog tongue sinker shown is the best in the business at holding bottom.

You can lighten your components some, and do just fine, but make no mistake, this IS THE RIG, for big boy surf fishing.

Bobbrown

Boy ....you guys go a lot heavier than I do. I fish carolina or fish finder rig.
30# braid with sinker slide and breakaway weight. The weight has wire arms that hold bottom. I shore fish in a very tidal river...2 oz regular but bump up to 3oz when really running. Then swivel to short 30# 1 foot mono leader. Then inline circle hook.
i use a bait runner reel. One addition I learned on line! Used to have to use finger protection or d cut my finger during cast then read about the cannon breakaway. Solved that problem and works like a charm.

Fletch_W

Banned
17 Lb Trilene XL
2 oz Egg Sinker (or higher if needed, conditions really drive this)
Bead
#50 Swivel - Palomar Knot
#25 Florocarbon - Reverse Palomar Knot, 5 feet minus tag ends of knots, comes out almost 4 ft when done
3/0 Khale hook (or larger, depends on bait size really), Palomar Knot

Keep the rod tip up when fighting, let the rod tip and the drag do the work.

It's basically the fishfinder/carolina rig.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
I use about 4 ft of coffee colored braided wire. I do that cause we catch sharks while fishin for the bulls n cows. I guess they like the same food. It's not a heavy braided wire, I forget the poundage, maybe 40 or 50 #. It's not much more than the 30# mono I use I remember that. 6oz egg weight on the coffee wire but i put a bead n a crimp in the middle so the egg weight only stays at the top half of the leader.
Old 2/0 penn senator in working order and any ol medium/heavy weight rod'll work.
This I use from the back of the anchored boat.
Idk about surf fishin for em. You would need heavy shock leader like some mentioned above.... at least for the cast itself

Silver Bullet

I would highly suggest a barbless inline circle hook. This greatly reduces the chances of deep hooking a fish and it makes unhooking a deep hooked fish much easier when it happens. We owe it to the fish, especially a fish that is C&R only. If it was a fish that you could kill to eat, I'd be all about using treble hooks.
sb

markmg

Ive been using a new rig the DNR provides for FREE, works incredibly well. Literally eliminates gut hooks with the same amount of hookups. These old female drum are essential to the future of our fishery, take care of them and get them back in the water very quickly.
Here is the link to sign up for the rigs. They are super short, about 3-4 inches long with a fixed sinker at one end and a big circle hook at the other. The sinker keeps the hook from being swallowed, shockingly simple really.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GRLP...-KWJ6PxdPsmTWbszHQuL5zRJk5LUQIHeqrs7p1LSa8EZk

https://www.facebook.com/CoastalGaDNR

Seanote

Thanks for the information. I sent to the site for my leader(s). I agree with barbless hooks and a quick C&R. I know most of you are old enough to remember when there were no reds. We do need to protect this resource. Now I just need to go catch some.

Silver Bullet

Ive been using a new rig the DNR provides for FREE, works incredibly well. Literally eliminates gut hooks with the same amount of hookups. These old female drum are essential to the future of our fishery, take care of them and get them back in the water very quickly.
Here is the link to sign up for the rigs. They are super short, about 3-4 inches long with a fixed sinker at one end and a big circle hook at the other. The sinker keeps the hook from being swallowed, shockingly simple really.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/GRLP...-KWJ6PxdPsmTWbszHQuL5zRJk5LUQIHeqrs7p1LSa8EZk

https://www.facebook.com/CoastalGaDNR

Those rigs are legit. That short leader keeps the hook from getting too deep. And they are super easy to copy. I've used them sucessfully and would highly recommend them to someone who is looking for a good, reliable rig. I did prefer the one rigged for easy weight adjustment.
sb

Those rigs are legit. That short leader keeps the hook from getting too deep. And they are super easy to copy. I've used them sucessfully and would highly recommend them to someone who is looking for a good, reliable rig. I did prefer the one rigged for easy weight adjustment.
sb

I used the DNR rig yesterday and landed a nice bull red. Hooked on side of lips and super easy to remove.

markmg

sb
I agree. The three way swivel rig makes it easy to change weights for condition. Really like having the weight of the rig and bait close together, makes casting much easier.

I add about 6ft of 60-80lb mono to the main line to keep shark break offs from happening as much.

HOBO

Thanks for the information. I sent to the site for my leader(s). I agree with barbless hooks and a quick C&R. I know most of you are old enough to remember when there were no reds. We do need to protect this resource. Now I just need to go catch some.
I'm 76 years old and fished the coastal Georgia area all my life and guided for 55 of those years... I don't guess I'm old enough because there has never not been redfish in my lifetime...Its all in knowing where and when to go and how to fish...

Ray357

AWOL
This is it...

View attachment 1039898

If he breaks you off, all he's carrying is the hook, and line. No sinker...

Also with the weight riding close to the bait on the cast, it flies very well. Finally, the frog tongue sinker shown is the best in the business at holding bottom.

You can lighten your components some, and do just fine, but make no mistake, this IS THE RIG, for big boy surf fishing.
I don't think you need a shock leader near that long.

Railroader

Billy’s Security Guard.
I don't think you need a shock leader near that long.

Well, that pic shows 20 feet...that may be a little long, but reasonable.

A fresh whiting head, and the rig and a 6-8 oz lead is quite a load.

With a 12' rod, 3-4 feet of drop and several wraps around the spool, you eat up 20' pretty quick.

My surf casting has evolved into using 80# braid shock leaders for throwing the heavy stuff with conventional reels.

It doesn't stretch, loads the rod better than mono, and you can make a much smaller knot than 50# mono.

Gotta be careful using braid shockers on spinning reels, or you can easily wind up with a trigger finger sliced to the bone...lol

heaversmall.jpg

lonewolf247

I’ve done best with a drop shot rig, baited with cracked crab, dead shrimp, or cut mullet. Find the deep holes for the bull reds and black drum .

I copied my own post from another thread. This is how I’ve done best. When fishing in shallow marsh areas I have used stoppers(pick your favorite). I don’t compromise on heavy duty tackle, when targeting really big reads and and black drum. Aside from setting your drag right, I always use 65lb braid line, and 7.0 size hooks.

Last edited:

Ray357

AWOL
Well, that pic shows 20 feet...that may be a little long, but reasonable.

A fresh whiting head, and the rig and a 6-8 oz lead is quite a load.

With a 12' rod, 3-4 feet of drop and several wraps around the spool, you eat up 20' pretty quick.

My surf casting has evolved into using 80# braid shock leaders for throwing the heavy stuff with conventional reels.

It doesn't stretch, loads the rod better than mono, and you can make a much smaller knot than 50# mono.

Gotta be careful using braid shockers on spinning reels, or you can easily wind up with a trigger finger sliced to the bone...lol

View attachment 1070030
I tape my finger with friction tape.

Beehaw

Where are you fishing? Surf, channel or flats?

In the channel I used a Carolina rig with as much weight as the current requires.

On the flats I use a popping cork, jig head sized to depth and a shrimp style jig.

I have caught dozens of reds, like in the photo, with 20-lb braid and a 20-lb fluorocarbon leader. It always reassuring to know you knots, and gear, can handle a 20-minute fight. That is a 2500 series reel.

Attachments

• Red.JPG
    Red.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 39

Knotmuch

Beehaw - Not trying to sound like a jerk, but the red in your pic more than likely died after you released her. holding large fish vertical causes their insides to tear (from gravity), and the result is death.