Butler Island

Kimosabe

Does anyone have any advice as to which blinds on Butler Island are any good. I got drawn for a hunt there this weekend and I have never been before. Any help or info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Kimosabe

Kimosabe

My wife got drawn for the 29th so if this weekend turns out to be a bust... Then I will probably follow your advice. I've got to try it atleast once.

Nick_T

Banned
Don't go if your expecting to kill a load of ducks but if you've never hunted on the coast it might be good experence for ya. Last weekend one boat on Rhetts killed more than everyone on Butler combined. Seeing how your wife is going with ya, my recomindation would be to go down early on the 28th and treat her to some good seafood. Pelican's Point is in the next town north of Darien, which is Eulonia, and offers an all you can eat seafood and prime rib that's matched by none that I've ever been to. After that ya could take in a little shopping at the Darien Discount Mall and then tuck it in for the night at one of the local motels. With having a woman with ya I would stay away from the Ft. King George Motel, but right in front of the Mall there's a Holiday Inn Express that is pretty nice. Your not going to be more than 5 miles from the check-in station anywhere that ya stay in Darien.

Some details of the hunt......

Once ya get to the check-in station, you'll need to go inside and check in. Everyone in your party needs to go in there and be ready to show them their liscences. Then your wife will draw a ping-pong ball with your blind number for the day. After all the numbers are drawn, you'll be put on wagons that'll haul you out to your designated area. They call them blinds but actually it isn't a blind but an area. Pack light, maybe a dozen deks and put your shells and other necessities in a dove bucket, this'll keep them dry and it'll give ya something to sit on. When they drop you off there's a 12' jon boat provided so that ya can cross the channel. but once ya get across it the water isn't but maybe 3 ft. deep at the most. Trust me, the channel that runs inside the dikes that seperates the areas is DEEP. Floated my hat the first year I went down. What we do is get out in the middle of our area and find an open spot to set up in. Chunk the deks, hide the boat away from us, and sit on the bucket and wait. If you decide to leave early, you can carry all your stuff to what they call the cross dike, and they'll count your kill and ya load up on a wagon and they'll carry ya back to the check in station. If you wait 'til noon they'll pick ya up just as they dropped ya off.

I've been probably 4 or 5 times, with my best luck being on opening day a few years back, we killed almost 3 limits of woodies and teal. Year before last I knocked down a pintail there, and last year I got my first snow goose and a friend killed an awesome GW teal.

It's worth the trip if for nuthin more than just the experence. Know ya'll have a LONG drive from Preston but if ya make a 2 day thing out of it ya'll aught to have a good time.

Nick T

Vernon Holt

Gone But Not Forgotten
Kim: Don't burden yourself with decoys. "Skybusters" will not allow the ducks to come closer than 100 yards before they wll be blasting away. This goes with public shooting areas, or at least is is the case with Butler Island.

Vernon

Kimosabe

What a horrible hunt!!!! Did not even see a duck. We left at about 9 and all but two groups were leaving and all that had been killed was 3 or 4 coots. After this trip, I wished that I would have stayed in bed and slept late.

Nick_T

Banned
Sad thing is that a couple of friends of mine limited out on bluebills in about 20 minutes out in the intercoastal that morning. What a difference a couple of miles makes.

I don't understand why they can't get that place to hold birds. It's set up nice.

Hope ya took my advise on the seafood!

Nick T

F250

Banned
I think the biggest reason it will not hold birds is lack of food and all that slimey (I'm gonna say) moss but it's not moss!! It kills everything it grows around!!

Kimosabe

The first weekend that they hunted this season they killed 195 ducks. It dropped off pretty good after that weekend. Only 7 killed weekend before last. It seems aparent to me that all that was shot the first weekend was pretty much resident ducks that got caught by suprise opening weekend. After that, I don't think the place has really attracted and held any ducks. I don't see why they can't plant something on the place. Wouldn't have to plant the whole place, maybe just an acre in each of the blind areas. Oh well... just my 2 cents.