BW TEAL

WOODIE13

2023 TURKEY CHALLENGE 1st place Team
Saw the first ones of the year yesterday here, time is ticking.

across the river

Saw three yesterday morning. If it’s like most years they will all have long passed through here before September. Never fails, you get covered up with BWT in August, and every other duck in February.

WOODIE13

We see a lot during September, just no teal season.

Pick up some during our October split

Hammockben1

Just a question, if one is looking for bw teal, what areas would be a common area to see them at? I've been going out here and there around marsh and I can't seem to locate any.

WOODIE13

Just about anywhere from beaver ponds, shallow marshy lakes/ponds, to rivers. Key is scouting. They are here today and gone tomorrow for the most part, scouting is key.

Find duck weed and hydrilla/grass and you normally will see some.

WOODIE13

Saw around 3 dozen BWT this morning here while scouting for geese, they will be gone tomorrow more than likely.

across the river

Just a question, if one is looking for bw teal, what areas would be a common area to see them at? I've been going out here and there around marsh and I can't seem to locate any.

Honestly, it is a waste of time to really worry about it before the season. The day before you plan to go, scout for them. Typically shallow water with some vegetation, large flat on the lake, a big pond with some weeds, etc.... If you find some, there is a 50/50 chance that they will fly in the next morning when you go back. Honestly, the most success I had with them was when I was younger and in a position that I could go everyday for the two weeks. Set up for geese and stick a group of hen mallard decoys out to the side so they are visible and you would often have some just show up out of nowhere a couple or three times over the season out of the blue. They decoy very well, so being visible is key, which is why I think geese decoys help if you are on bigger water.

Hammockben1

This is the area I've been watching. I have seen several different types of birds in there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210811-203330_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20210811-203330_Maps.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 102

kingfish

If you have any access to flooded cattle pastures, I'd start looking there and hope that they remain flooded until early teal. All the tiny invertebrates that wash out of the grass and soil are duck candy. Plus, when you consider a teal feeds by tipping up, they can only feed half their body size. Those flooded pastures are perfect. Not a guarantee, but I'm sure going to look and glass some spots.

Mexican Squealer

Got a few around my place now. Put in a couple of holes this weekend and hope to get some free water soon. Watched a flock eating bugs out the bushes on a Saint Simons golf course pond yesterday.

WOODIE13

Did you use your preference points on the teal tags?