cabin location

REA

my wife and i have been blessed with purchasing 100 acres in north wayne county,i would normally place cabin at the front of property, to have less intrusion for hunting , we would like a pond ,and the perfect spot is more toward the middle, and would like the cabin on the pond,just concerned that mature bucks may not tolerate the activity,we wont be full time , so activity will not be constant, what do yall think? cabin in front or middle

sghoghunter

All woods,clearcut or fields? If it’s all woods I’d build cabin further enough off the road that it couldn’t be seen and dig a pond behind that and hunt the rest

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
^^^ This and in spades. Think of how much time you will spend watching that buck you are afraid won't show up as opposed to watching the scenery that will make you happy even when you can't hunt that buck any more.

Then factor in that deer will not be affected much by whatever you chose to do anyway.

mattb78

The optimum location for the cabin would be the southeast or southwest corner of property so that the prevailing wind during deer season sweeps your scent off the property.

As said by 300, well/electric also considerations. There is always a balance between aesthetics and practicality.

I would not let the pond location dictate cabin location.

deers2ward

Congrats on the purchase!

Location of cabin/lake depends on many things, including the shape of your property, but assuming it was a perfect square or rectangle, I'd personally have it as far from a public road as possible.

To whatever extent you do put the cabin/lake back into the parcel, put your driveway over to one side of the parcel, but put it far enough away from the line to leave room for a power line/water lines, and also 20 or so yards to buffer visually, so if your neighbor builds a house right on the border with a grass yard, you aren't having to wave or be seen every time you come and go.

A simple way to think about it is: Assume at some point in the future, every square inch of land bordering yours will be a concrete jungle or subdivision with people on it, and plan accordingly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Deer eat the bushes in my yard. Some of the biggest bucks killed in the state of GA every years are living in the middle of developed suburbs, in people's back yards.

bilgerat

Senior
put it on the pond in the middle of the property, Deer will get used to it, I killed a 5 n a half year old buck 100 yards from my camper on my little 13 acres this past season.

westcobbdog

my wife and i have been blessed with purchasing 100 acres in north wayne county,i would normally place cabin at the front of property, to have less intrusion for hunting , we would like a pond ,and the perfect spot is more toward the middle, and would like the cabin on the pond,just concerned that mature bucks may not tolerate the activity,we wont be full time , so activity will not be constant, what do yall think? cabin in front or middle
As long as you don't shooot deer off your deck I doubt a home and pond in the middle of your land will effect the deer hunting much. Perhaps middle but closer to a boundary line might be a good spot.

Jim Boyd

As long as you don't shooot deer off your deck I doubt a home and pond in the middle of your land will effect the deer hunting much.

Even that won’t matter.

Deer ain’t bright but they are predictable as all get out. That is what gets 1/3 of them killed every year.

Jim Boyd

Put it where YOU want it.

The deer simply do not care.

Congrats on the land.

Triple C

Think 5 years out and imagine what you might have for infrastructure. May start with a cabin, but most likely that will grow to include a shop, pavilion, guest parking, well house, etc.

Gotta get electricity to all of that. Today, most want buried electrical lines which is much more expensive that overhead lines. Gotta have decent driveway in and out and gotta maintain driveway.

I prefer living quarters and infrastructure near the entrance.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
As long as you don't shooot deer off your deck I doubt a home and pond in the middle of your land will effect the deer hunting much. Perhaps middle but closer to a boundary line might be a good spot.

Plant lots of hostas in your yard. You won't have to worry about spooking them at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We are talking about the same critters that stand in the middle of busy highways until somebody runnovers them.

longrangedog

Deer eat the bushes in my yard. Some of the biggest bucks killed in the state of GA every years are living in the middle of developed suburbs, in people's back yards.
I worked in Atlanta years ago and traveled inside the perimeter regularly. The biggest busks (biggest body and biggest racks) were in the northwest quadrant where the mansions with the 10 acre estates were.