Calling on ole Nicodemus for counsel

Wayne D Davis

Eleven thousand eight hundred dollars per vile is what i was charged. Two days in ICU 42000 thousand dollars and all the Meds. Doctor bill, ambulance ride. I got ten viles, most people get two are three. Total bill was 185000 dollars. I talked to a editor with the GON about getting a list of hospitals that carry anti venom. That way you will know what direction you need to go if bitten. Greensboro Hospital had it and i was only 20 minutes away from there,but the EMT's didn;t know that and i was taken to Augusta which was over a hour away. Time is everything in this case. I think a list will be posted before bow season i hope. I never thought it would happen to me,and i hope it never happens to any of you. Please be prepared if it does it could save your life.
Whoa !!! $185,000 That's crazy. I may carry a climber every hunt now. I'm bad about crawling into dead falls and depressions. I think what a great place for a setup. I'm sure no shoulders thinks the same way

XIronheadX

PF Trump Cam Operator !20/20
I slept with a black widow spider for 12 years, but I enjoy some kind of snake protection. Just so I can stare out through the woods instead of at the ground. I do have a habit of stepping in holes now though. I may need stove pipes after tearing my shin muscle at the knee a few years back.

BeerThirty

Eleven thousand eight hundred dollars per vile is what i was charged. Two days in ICU 42000 thousand dollars and all the Meds. Doctor bill, ambulance ride. I got ten viles, most people get two are three. Total bill was 185000 dollars. I talked to a editor with the GON about getting a list of hospitals that carry anti venom. That way you will know what direction you need to go if bitten. Greensboro Hospital had it and i was only 20 minutes away from there,but the EMT's didn;t know that and i was taken to Augusta which was over a hour away. Time is everything in this case. I think a list will be posted before bow season i hope. I never thought it would happen to me,and i hope it never happens to any of you. Please be prepared if it does it could save your life.

Wow! Just wow!!! Sounds like you are lucky to be alive! I had no idea it could cost that much. I hope the $185k wasn't out of pocket?

bilgerat

Senior
I wear snake chaps in bow season so I can take them off when I get to the stand. My feets sweat too much to wear snake boots in 70 to 80+ degree temps. When the colder weather moves in I switch to the boots.

Mr Bya Lungshot

BANNED LUNATIC FRINGE
Whoa !!! $185,000 That's crazy. I may carry a climber every hunt now. I'm bad about crawling into dead falls and depressions. I think what a great place for a setup. I'm sure no shoulders thinks the same way
I climb sleep and kills less but less kills me.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
OK.. If you say so.
Just wondering what his name used to be? On GON.
His username has been the same for the last 14 years? He's not new, don't know where you got that idea? He's been a registered member here since November 2006. You have been a registered member since March 4, 2007. That is just the facts.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Nicodemus

You are clearly a wise man - one of steadfast knowledge and understanding of the ways ye ole “ no feet” and how they are dangerous, yet important to be protected in the woods. I am curious as to if you consider snake boots imperative whilst in pursuit of wild game in the glorious Southland. I live in north Florida and am in the woods constantly chasing whitetails and eastern turkeys. I never wear snake boots but considering. Your thoughts?

I can only speak for myself, but yes, snake boots are of prime importance to me. Way back when, even though I wore them, I wasn`t so concerned about a bite, being young, bulletproof, and of good health. On smaller snakes I`d even use the boot and step on the snake to pin it rather than use the hook a lot of times, when I was catching them. Those days are long in the past now since I no longer handle venomous snakes, but the boots are even more important to me now. The medical costs that come with a hot bite which can run up to six figures easily, the risk of losing a limb, the pure pain of the bite, and more important, the very real risk of it killing me now, due to failing health, are something that I don`t need. It`s not fear of any snake why I wear them because I`m surely not scared of any reptile. It`s common sense.

Where you and I live, we have 3 kinds of rattlesnakes, 2 kinds of cottonmouths, copperheads, and coral snakes. You might never see one, but I bet every one of those mentioned have seen you, and I know for a fact they`ve seen me. True, the chances of being bitten are slim, comparatively, but I`m not gonna take that chance. $300 to $600 dollars for a pair of quality snake boots is a lot better than a $600,000 hospital bill. That`s what a Tallahassee man who was bitten by a big diamondback faced not too many years ago.

Take care of those boots and they`ll last you too. The pair on the left I got around 1980. They`re on the third set of soles, and still good. Both pair has passed the ultimate test with flying colors. Good luck in your hunting. Watch where you step, sit, and put your hands. :cheers:

snake boots.jpg

jbogg

I can only speak for myself, but yes, snake boots are of prime importance to me. Way back when, even though I wore them, I wasn`t so concerned about a bite, being young, bulletproof, and of good health. On smaller snakes I`d even use the boot and step on the snake to pin it rather than use the hook a lot of times, when I was catching them. Those days are long in the past now since I no longer handle venomous snakes, but the boots are even more important to me now. The medical costs that come with a hot bite which can run up to six figures easily, the risk of losing a limb, the pure pain of the bite, and more important, the very real risk of it killing me now, due to failing health, are something that I don`t need. It`s not fear of any snake why I wear them because I`m surely not scared of any reptile. It`s common sense.

Where you and I live, we have 3 kinds of rattlesnakes, 2 kinds of cottonmouths, copperheads, and coral snakes. You might never see one, but I bet every one of those mentioned have seen you, and I know for a fact they`ve seen me. True, the chances of being bitten are slim, comparatively, but I`m not gonna take that chance. $300 to $600 dollars for a pair of quality snake boots is a lot better than a $600,000 hospital bill. That`s what a Tallahassee man who was bitten by a big diamondback faced not too many years ago.

Take care of those boots and they`ll last you too. The pair on the left I got around 1980. They`re on the third set of soles, and still good. Both pair has passed the ultimate test with flying colors. Good luck in your hunting. Watch where you step, sit, and put your hands. :cheers:

View attachment 1002467

When I was a kid I would hear the old folks talk amongst themselves and say things like “at least you have your health”. I remember thinking that was a strange thing to say. Fast forward fifty years and now I completely understand. It’s not the years, but the miles. Wonder how many miles those 1980 model boots have on them. Also, I thought I knew of all the snakes in GA, but didn’t realize there are two types of Cottonmouths. What’s the distinction?

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
His username has been the same for the last 14 years? He's not new, don't know where you got that idea? He's been a registered member here since November 2006. You have been a registered member since March 4, 2007. That is just the facts.
I like this post

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
When I was a kid I would hear the old folks talk amongst themselves and say things like “at least you have your health”. I remember thinking that was a strange thing to say. Fast forward fifty years and now I completely understand. It’s not the years, but the miles. Wonder how many miles those 1980 model boots have on them. Also, I thought I knew of all the snakes in GA, but didn’t realize there are two types of Cottonmouths. What’s the distinction?
Eastern and Florida cottonmouths-two distinct subspecies. I don't want either one of them aholt of me with their little teefs. :)

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
There`s also a western cottonmouth, but it`s on over in Alabama and yonder ways.

None of the cottonmouths deserve the reputation they have. Pygmy rattler and copperhead are a lot more short tempered. Diamondback ain`t far behind them either, especially on standing their ground. None of them are aggressive, in my experience.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
There`s also a western cottonmouth, but it`s on over in Alabama and yonder ways.

None of the cottonmouths deserve the reputation they have. Pygmy rattler and copperhead are a lot more short tempered. Diamondback ain`t far behind them either, especially on standing their ground. None of them are aggressive, in my experience.
Our copperheads around here are usually pretty docile, but you'll run up on one every now and then that'll bow up on you or come at you if you mess with it enough. I have seen very few cottonmouths in my life, but what few I've encountered were not aggressive at all. Timber rattlers are usually extremely docile, at least around here. Never encountered a wild pygmy or EDB. There are almost certainly some pygmies on my place in SC, but I haven't run up on one yet.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Our copperheads around here are usually pretty docile, but you'll run up on one every now and then that'll bow up on you or come at you if you mess with it enough. I have seen very few cottonmouths in my life, but what few I've encountered were not aggressive at all. Timber rattlers are usually extremely docile, at least around here. Never encountered a wild pygmy or EDB. There are almost certainly some pygmies on my place in SC, but I haven't run up on one yet.

Pygmies stay mad, it seems like. The Dusky is the only type I`ve been around, but those little spitfires are like generic toilet paper. No joke.

bowhunterdavid

Pygmie rattler is what lay'ed it to me, very small snake that about killed me. Size Don't Matter. People think the bigger the snake the worse they are , but that's not true.

oppthepop

I've had encounters with some pretty nasty, and aggressive copperheads. The cottonmouths and rattlesnakes i've come in contact with have not been near as aggressive, but that's just my experience.
I stepped on a BIG cottonmouth one morning turkey hunting. It was 28 degrees and I ALMOST said no to my snake boots that morning. Sure am glad I had them on - otherwise i would have been financially in a mess. I wear them EVERY TIME I go in the woods, which is quite often. yes, I wear them during deer season. From my experience, if a deer is gonna smell you, he's gonna smell you. I would rather not get snake bit.
Agree with the guy on the hogs - I hunt Pako Plantation in Midway, AL a good bit and I have NEVER seen a snake of any kind. I think the hogs enjoy the meal -

HughW2

Dang BHDavid! Have you taken this up with your insurance provider? It is insane that a covered insured patient would have to pay out of pocket for lifesaving medication. I guess we are too busy trying to cover illegals. That stinks. Sorry for the hardship. All the more reason todo whatever you can to protect from what can happen. snake boots are at least partial insurance. Thanks for the education.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !

View attachment 1002467
How many snakes have you kicked around trying to get them to bite those boots??:bounce:

Latest posts