Camping trip to gsmnp

I'm looking to take my family on a camping trip to gsmnp in Tennessee or nc this spring. Likey sometime early to mid spring. It will be myself, my wife and my 3 yo. Can anyone reccomend a good camp ground, preferably near a stream? Not looking for secrets or anything. Even a general area to look would be fantastic. Thanks.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I'm looking to take my family on a camping trip to gsmnp in Tennessee or nc this spring. Likey sometime early to mid spring. It will be myself, my wife and my 3 yo. Can anyone reccomend a good camp ground, preferably near a stream? Not looking for secrets or anything. Even a general area to look would be fantastic. Thanks.
Cataloochee, Smokemont, or Deep Creek on the NC side, which is usually much less crowded than the TN side. All three are in the middle of great trout fishing for everything from big browns to little native specks. Keep in mind that "spring" in the Smokies can be vastly different from north/central GA. Nighttime temps in March are often in the teens, and it frosts into early May most years, with sometimes accumulating snow and closed roads in April or even May. Late April is safe most years, but may be down in the 30s at night. May is much better. Early April is a crapshoot, for sure.

Cataloochee, Smokemont, or Deep Creek on the NC side, which is usually much less crowded than the TN side. All three are in the middle of great trout fishing for everything from big browns to little native specks. Keep in mind that "spring" in the Smokies can be vastly different from north/central GA. Nighttime temps in March are often in the teens, and it frosts into early May most years, with sometimes accumulating snow and closed roads in April or even May. Late April is safe most years, but may be down in the 30s at night. May is much better. Early April is a crapshoot, for sure.
Awesome, thank you. I didn't think of different weather. Thank you for the heads up.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Awesome, thank you. I didn't think of different weather. Thank you for the heads up.
Above 5,000' here in the Smokies is basically the same climate and plant community as Canada at sea level.

There are folks from the flatlands who die about every year coming up here hiking and camping in the high-elevation backcountry in wintertime, not expecting potential sub-zero temps, 70 mph+ winds and potentially multiple feet of snow. It can go from nice to life-threatening in a few hours.

April after about the second week is usually safe, if sometimes chilly, but I have woke up in fishing camp in April several times over the years with snow on the ground.

Above 5,000' here in the Smokies is basically the same climate and plant community as Canada at sea level.

There are folks from the flatlands who die about every year coming up here hiking and camping in the high-elevation backcountry in wintertime, not expecting potential sub-zero temps, 70 mph+ winds and potentially multiple feet of snow. It can go from nice to life-threatening in a few hours.

April after about the second week is usually safe, if sometimes chilly, but I have woke up in fishing camp in April several times over the years with snow on the ground.
That's really cool. We will plan accordingly. When we get a bit better set up, that would be fun to go on a night it's going to snow. My wife and I are from Pennsylvania originally, and we get to missing the snow once in a while. Mostly cause we forget about shoveling the vehicles out everyday during winter lol.

The first thing you need to do is check the park web site to see which campgrounds are open. Some don't open until later in the spring. Smokemont is open year round, close to town, easy escape if the weather turns bad. Everything you need.
Awesome. We'll look into that. Thanks!

Danuwoa

Redneck Emperor
Hope you’ll post some pics. Y’all be safe and have fun.

northgeorgiasportsman

Staff member

1st week of April, probably 15 years ago, I arrived at Cades cove mid week and was thrilled to see only one other campsite occupied. It was 70 degrees and sunny and the bugs were hatching and fish were biting readily on Abrams creek. I grilled my steak, ate my dinner, smoked my cigar and went to bed excited about the coming days of prime spring weather in the Smokies.

I awoke at about 3am with my tent collapsing around me, weighed down by the rapidly falling wet snow. Trip changed pretty quickly.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
1st week of April, probably 15 years ago, I arrived at Cades cove mid week and was thrilled to see only one other campsite occupied. It was 70 degrees and sunny and the bugs were hatching and fish were biting readily on Abrams creek. I grilled my steak, ate my dinner, smoked my cigar and went to bed excited about the coming days of prime spring weather in the Smokies.

I awoke at about 3am with my tent collapsing around me, weighed down by the rapidly falling wet snow. Trip changed pretty quickly.
And that's in probably the lowest elevation corner of the park.

Semi-Pro

Full-Pro
This would have been my 23rd year going to smokemont. No other place like it. Try to get D32 i think, all the way in the back. Last one.
Kids can fish in the river next to the camp and good fishing in cherokee as well. Plus its a pretty central.location to everywhere

Taxman

Funny how peoples perceptions of Mtns are different. I remember
several years ago hiking to my favorite spot and I met a young couple
that asked me a couple questions about the next campsite. One of them
made the comment about not liking the trail because the views were
restricted because of all of the trees. No grand vistas like some of the trails.