Bay Boat: Key West vs Pathfinder vs Other???

ssramage

Our kids have finally gotten to the age where they enjoy being on the water and my boys are eat up with fishing right now. We're looking at pulling the trigger on a new to us bay boat this Spring for fishing/family use down here on the GA coast (SSI/Jekyll area). Based on our budget ($30-35k), I'm primarily looking at mid-2000s Pathfinders/Key Wests in the 22-24' range.

I have fished some on several 22' Pathfinders, but would love to get some feedback from those that may have experience comparing the KW Bay Reef vs the Pathfinder, and any others to consider as well.

Primary uses would be fishing with my 2 sons, then picking up mom and daughter for sandbar/beach hopping. Occassional trips to the lake are possible as well as family trips to other coastal areas. Kids are aged 10, 6 and 5 and have grown up in our ski boat that we keep on Sinclair.

mizzippi jb

Welcome back.
Key west boats are really nice. I've never been on a pathfinder but I think they are highly thought of. I have a 22 nautic star that has been a really good boat.
Don't forget to check to see about a crew cab model. :ROFLMAO:

Knotmuch

I would get a Pathfinder over a Key West. Though you can get a newer model Key West for less money than a Pathfinder.

ssramage

I would get a Pathfinder over a Key West. Though you can get a newer model Key West for less money than a Pathfinder.

That's the main reason I was asking. It seems like the market on Bay Reefs is significantly less than the Pathfinders.

IIICrkRepr

Has a 22ft SeaHunt, great boat, had a high freeboard, but with a jackplate, could float in 14" I believe, handled the waves very well.

ddavis1120

I have a KW BR and it's been a great boat but I wouldn't limit myself to just two manufacturers. In your situation, I would try to find the best deal on a bay boat that fits your criteria from a respectable manufacturer. Have your money ready and pounce on a good deal.

In your year and price range, you'll see lightly used boats with lower hours to the motor is on its last leg. And often times very little price difference between the two.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
I have a BayReef 230. I think the amenities for the family are a lot nicer than pathfinders. To me pathfinders seem to be more purpose driven and less plush. Like a military jet fighter.
I looked at a Pathfinder before my buying my boat and it didn't even have a live well in the front half of the boat. Deal breaker for me as I fish off the front deck and didn't want to go to the rear deck every time for a shrimp.
I had narrowed the search down to less than a half dozen models of bayboat, but I had to have the yamaha f250 above all else, whatever it was on.
The key west has a 19° bottom versus the 15° bottom on most bayboats. It really crushes the chop and the offshore swells better but gives up about two inches in draft.

menhadenman

Been debating a new boat myself (have a 21’ key largo cc now)… it’s a little big for up her in the mountains and wife was actually complaining about getting something nicer so I’d better rally.

I drove down to Atlanta boat show a couple fridays ago and gotta say the 19’ key west was pretty sweet. It was the grass shack guys. Had a 140 Suzuki on the back. Pretty sure it was whatever model the made for fishing and family stuff. Lots of nice storage stuff.

The sports center down by Warner Robins had a few of those K2 boats and they looked like a good buy. Or the Carolina skiff.

Definitely like a bay boat since I need something a little smaller but still want to tote the wife kids and dog around for swimming and such.

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Aside from the used boats I've owned, I've had four new boats factory built for me (my specs, options, colors) through dealers.
Michael and the Grass Shack have been by far the best to deal with.
By far!

ssramage

I have a BayReef 230. I think the amenities for the family are a lot nicer than pathfinders. To me pathfinders seem to be more purpose driven and less plush. Like a military jet fighter.
I looked at a Pathfinder before my buying my boat and it didn't even have a live well in the front half of the boat. Deal breaker for me as I fish off the front deck and didn't want to go to the rear deck every time for a shrimp.
I had narrowed the search down to less than a half dozen models of bayboat, but I had to have the yamaha f250 above all else, whatever it was on.
The key west has a 19° bottom versus the 15° bottom on most bayboats. It really crushes the chop and the offshore swells better but gives up about two inches in draft.
Good feedback, thanks.

On the pathfinder, I'm leaning towards a Tournament model if I can find one. It has 1 bow livewell and 2 stern.

Ihunt

Aside from the used boats I've owned, I've had four new boats factory built for me (my specs, options, colors) through dealers.
Michael and the Grass Shack have been by far the best to deal with.
By far!
I’ve dealt with David on 2 boats. I actually bought their dad’s Carolina Skiff 25 DLV about 5 years ago. Yea, The Grass Shack has always been easy to deal with.

doomtrpr_z71

I've fished off both, pathfinder values are stupid expensive, I'd lean more to a bay reef. But that money is close to what a new stott craft or bulls Bay in the 22ft range would go for. Don't get me wrong a pathfinder is a nice boat but you can get more boat for the same money else where.

cracker4112

I'll throw in another manufacturer.

We had Pathfinder 2200s for years, had a '99 and replaced it with a 2011. The '99 was/is a great boat, one of my dads old employees bought it and repowered it and its still going strong. The 2011 was a lemon, and not just in color. Long story short we ended up selling the boat back to Pathfinder, who knows where it is now, and who its disappointing!

We replaced it with a Sportsman Masters 227. Its a 2013, and its still going strong. We like almost everything about it better than the Pathfinder. Its not quite as fast, but its much dryer and the deep entry eats up the chop better. It does everything the Pathfinder does, and at the time it was MUCH cheaper. Not sure on prices these days because at this point I'll repower it before I get rid of the hull. Its been a great boat.IMG_5649.jpeg

ssramage

I'll throw in another manufacturer.

We had Pathfinder 2200s for years, had a '99 and replaced it with a 2011. The '99 was/is a great boat, one of my dads old employees bought it and repowered it and its still going strong. The 2011 was a lemon, and not just in color. Long story short we ended up selling the boat back to Pathfinder, who knows where it is now, and who its disappointing!

We replaced it with a Sportsman Masters 227. It's a 2013, and it's still going strong. We like almost everything about it better than the Pathfinder. It's not quite as fast, but it's much dryer and the deep entry eats up the chop better. It does everything the Pathfinder does, and at the time it was MUCH cheaper. Not sure on prices these days because at this point I'll repower it before I get rid of the hull. It's been a great boat.View attachment 1285529
The Sportsman boats are definitely nice. Well out of my price range though... looking like even the years close to yours are still $60k+.