Can someone clear up boat registration for me…

Paul Cataldo

If I buy an aluminum jonboat and trailer from someone who has absolutely nothing but a bill of sale to offer me, what then must I do to become legal to fish on public waters?

Also, does both the trailer and boat have to have any sort of VIN or identification numbers or tags on them and WHAT IF THEY DO NOT??? I think the trailer needs to have its VIN just as any other normal trailer but what about the boat and what if all numbers or means of identification are missing from either boat or trailer?

There has been much debate about this from people I’ve spoken with and I’ve not been able to call DNR or local Marshalls office (is the DNR who I really need to speak to though???)
Please clear this up for me so I know what I’m getting into when buying a jon boat and trailer. I need everything explained in simple terms before I buy anything. Thanks guys.

Last edited:

sleepr71

You need to visit the DNR website,then call the DNR. It can clear up a lot for you.

Attachments

• IMG_8628.png
    IMG_8628.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 6

1eyefishing

...just joking, seriously.
Caint differ with sleepr71...
THINK you'll be hard pressed to find a boat these days without a vin.
Years back when I crossed this bridge, If you had a trailer without a vin you had to take it to the sheriff's office to be inspected and they would give you a little piece of metal with a vin on it for you to attach to the trailer.
I'd be pretty suspicious of a boat without a vin or a trailer without a current tag.
I researched buying a camper a couple years back but the owner didn't have a tag on it. I called the tag office with the vin and they said that camper had several years of tag taxes due on it in order to be tagged.

sprewett

I bought mine with only a bill of sale.
The trailer VIN had long been wore off. Still able to see HIN (hull number) on boat.
Able to register the boat on go outdoors app, I believe I remember it being 35 for three years. I just re-registered it and I believe it was 30.00
Process for tagging trailer:
Called sheriff's department signed a piece of paper that I had got from tag office. Went bag to tag office got plate, came back called sheriff office again he came inspected that I had mounted the plate. Signed off and then I went back to tag office to get tag.
Every year I get a tax form for my boat in which I have to specify no changes. I do not have to pay any luxury tax on a John boat like a bigger boat.
Hope this helps. It can be a little intimidating.
I will say you need registration numbers for anything power mechanically and a trolling motor counts for that.

WranglerSS

I bought a tin boat and trailer in Alabama. No problem registering the boat but the trailer VIN sticker is faded to the point you can't read the number. Cherokee County will not issue me a plate without it.

camsdaddy

The people at DNR boat registration are probably the most helpful customer service people I have ever dealt with . They should be able to help you out .
I just had an issue with the website and dreaded making the call. The lady that answered was able to fix my issue within minutes and literally felt like I had just left chick-fil-a when we hung up. I was impressed

ryanh487

The boat should have a dataplate riveted somewhere around the stern with all the needed info.

The trailer, if it doesn't have a serial number on it anywhere, can be registered as a "homemade" even though it isn't. I had to do that a few years back and it was quite easy. You just go to your local tag office and fill out the homemade trailer registration form. They give you a little metal placard with a serial number to attach to the frame of the trailer with screws or rivets in addition to your license plate and registration sticker.

Paul Cataldo

OK guys, I have one more question about a 14 foot John boat and trailer purchase I made today. Can I just take this thing out on the water and fish before I get registration or anything like that? In other words, am I legal for something like 30 days with my bill of sale just as you would be in an automotive vehicle for the first 30 days after buying it?

Or is going fishing in this boat now a big no-no until I get it registered etc??

Paul Cataldo

So has anyone here attempted to upload “registration documents photo” to GA DNR site during boat registration? First off, what exactly do they want a pic of? All I have is a bill of sale and a 2021 GA sticker showing the last time the previous owner registered this thing. I tried to upload a pic of the sticker on the side of the boat showing registration number and it keeps saying “failed to upload”
Any help appreciated guys.

sleepr71

Their system (data uploads) can be tricky. They will definitely need the Bill of Sale,the Hull ID#(if it has one),and serial # of the motor. Previous owner should report the sale to the DNR within 7 days, iirc. You can not put it on public waters without at least temp registration completed & documents showing you have started the process. If it has a gas,or electric motor…it has to be registered..:(

Paul Cataldo

Their system (data uploads) can be tricky. They will definitely need the Bill of Sale,the Hull ID#(if it has one),and serial # of the motor. Previous owner should report the sale to the DNR within 7 days, iirc. You can not put it on public waters without at least temp registration completed & documents showing you have started the process. If it has a gas,or electric motor…it has to be registered..:(
Yeah well here’s the kicker. The seller is 2nd owner and never registered it. It was last registered by original owner in 2021. I do have bill of sale and hull ID # though. When I went to register it today, the system did show original owner info. However, as I said, the second owner who never registered it is who sold it to me.
I guess I’ll have to call tomorrow. Knowing my luck this might cause me extra headache. Hope not though.

Dr. Strangelove

The boat should have a dataplate riveted somewhere around the stern with all the needed info.

The trailer, if it doesn't have a serial number on it anywhere, can be registered as a "homemade" even though it isn't. I had to do that a few years back and it was quite easy. You just go to your local tag office and fill out the homemade trailer registration form. They give you a little metal placard with a serial number to attach to the frame of the trailer with screws or rivets in addition to your license plate and registration sticker.
Not anymore for trailers, at least not in Clarke county. I'm in the same situation as OP and was able to get the boat registered easily.

The trailer has proven more troublesome. No VIN, unknown prior registration, etc. I tried to register it as homemade and was told I had to provide materials receipts for the trailer build.

Without a vin I was told the trailer was unregisterable unless it was homemade and only the person that built the trailer can apply for the vin. So unless I can come up with some "receipts" I'm out of luck. I paid $200 for both so I'm not all that worried about it.

Not having "papers" is not insurmountable, but I wouldn't sink a bunch of money into something I wasn't positive I could legally register.