Can we fish under shelter in place order?

RamblinWreck

Look fellers. I have read through all of these posts. I think that as long as the activity is permitted then we can do it. According to what I read in the Governors order we can go fishing as long as we practice social distancing of 6 feet. An exception being if you co habitat with some one then it doesn’t have to be six feet. So I think you may not get away with fishing in a boat with a neighbor, but your spouse or others that live in your household is ok. Matter of fact it wouldn’t be wise to take anyone that doesn’t live in your household because you don’t want to catch what they may have. As for the poster who was upset, I can see why you are not happy about this situation. These are unprecedented times and there is a lot of anxiety. This stress is going to cause a lot of tempers to flair. I am sorry and am empathetic to the gentlemen whose wife is an RN having to work in this environment. I understand why he is upset about this whole thing. That is a lot of stress and sacrifice. Thanks for the efforts you and your wife are putting into combatting this illness. At the same time those offended by his post are under a lot of stress to. Working hard to be able support their families. The whole time thinking their only relief from their own hardships is to get outdoors and go fishing. So when anything is impeding the ONE thing they have left that they can do to release their stress is at risk of not being permitted they get upset also. We all are in this together. Remember to just sit back a little and breath remember everybody has their own stress an anxieties. Lets allow each other that before we let our tempers flair. Amen brothers. We can get through it.

Well said.
PS it is flare not flair. :cool:

Ruger#3

RAMBLIN ADMIN
Staff member
DNR is getting the word out. Extracted from the weekly trout report.

Top 3 things you need to know about Governor Kemp’s Shelter in Place Executive Order:
  1. Outdoor exercise activities will include hunting, fishing, and boating, provided individuals maintain a distance of six (6) feet between all persons who are not occupants of the same household or residence.
  2. Travel is permitted to perform hunting, fishing, and boating activities.
  3. Camping is also allowable on our WMAs and PFAs, provided individuals maintain a distance of six (6) feet between all persons who are not occupants of the same household or residence.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
It was tough out there today. Felt like I was at a mall!!! Crappie were on the “stay at home” order.. Glad they were!

Long lining chartreuse was the ticket. Glad my buddy wanted to take me out!

D65D1D1A-4582-4D94-916C-14A132BFDA5E.jpeg

6AB0C285-ECA3-487E-AA23-5049EB75F4D1.jpeg
288F476B-B083-4577-8826-65C1EBA39824.png

Last edited:

Snichols1

I am not on a high horse, or didn't claim to be, its people like you that are spreading it. You can't see past your selfish attitude, a lot of peoples lives are at stake. And you act like you don't care. Don't put the governor down, we can plainly see from your comments how you would handle the situation, we would be in worse shape. Sorry if I struck a nerve, maybe that will keep you thinking about the virus and you want get it. If it does keep you thinking my comments worked, have a good day and I hope you and your family stay safe.
I say we all chill and be sensible. Wash your hands when leaving the grocery store and other places and keep your distance. If you are at a ramp and there are people on the dock, wait. Personally I am going to struggle through this without being able to be on the water and enjoy my retirement passion. I am old but fortunately healthy and plan on getting through this mentally and physically by using good judgement. We are all in this together and I hope every single one of us can avoid this. To help, let’s all be kind and be safe above all. We all love this sport and want to enjoy it for years to come.

Ajohnson0587

I plan on taking the kayak out tomorrow if anyone cares to follow along (6’) lol. Im coming up from the south side and I usually launch from Marry Alice park, might have to launch from Bald ridge marina if the park is closed.

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR
Looks like Alabama joined the party

Pretty much a copy and paste of Georgia's...except it runs till April 30th. I fully expect Kemp to extend ours on the 13th.

From Ala. DNR, just like the one our DNR released.
91521389_10156860736132019_7274025413586714624_n.jpg

fish hawk

Bass Master
This order actually opened Tybee Island back up giving people a chance to get outside,you cant just stay holed up,it's not good.Follow social distracting rules and everything will be alright.

fish hawk

Bass Master
And I am going Sunday!
Depending on how my wife feels I'll probably go Sunday too.Chattahoochee river generation is finally starting to turn around,those fish have barely seen a lure all year long.

Beenslayin

Glad to hear that! I enjoy helping others to catch them slabs.
Let me know how you do.
I can't wait for Sunday to get here so I can get back on the water.
Well I went. I caught one big crappie. While I am thankful to catch at least one. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I used 1/32 heads with a different color plastic on each one. I had white,black/green, electric chicken, pink etc. The one I caught was on black and green so I switched all but one to that color. I maintained about 1.1 mph in 4 to 6 feet of water. If it got deeper I dropped down to .6 mph. Either I am doing something wrong or they had lockjaw. I think it’s me. Do you have any suggestions? I am new to this pre spawn/ spawn fishing. Also do they move shallow to deep throughout the day?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Well I went. I caught one big crappie. While I am thankful to catch at least one. I am trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I used 1/32 heads with a different color plastic on each one. I had white,black/green, electric chicken, pink etc. The one I caught was on black and green so I switched all but one to that color. I maintained about 1.1 mph in 4 to 6 feet of water. If it got deeper I dropped down to .6 mph. Either I am doing something wrong or they had lockjaw. I think it’s me. Do you have any suggestions? I am new to this pre spawn/ spawn fishing. Also do they move shallow to deep throughout the day?
We usually use 1/16 or even 1/8 heads for spider rigging/trolling. You have to find the fish. Right now, they may be up shallow on the banks on wood actively spawning, and you may do better casting to visible wood than trolling if they are. When you're trolling, you usually need to look for structure that they are holding on and troll over it for the best results. Trolling a whole creek arm for example, you will often catch most of your fish in just a few spots, picking up a fish or two every time you run back over them. You will catch a few at random out in the open, but most of the time, crappies relate to structure.

littlejon

You might want to jump over to the crappie forum. There is much more information on that forum. Dutch and many other good crappie fisherman are always talking techniques on that site. They also post videos, good luck!

Dutch

AMERICAN WARRIOR

Yes crappie move during the day to find the best water conditions. Post spawn can be tough, but crappie spawn in waves, so some should be biting, and never change to all one color after catching a single fish, wait till you have caught several on the same color, then start switching out, but be prepared to change alot, as color preference will change through out the day. Are you running a single 1/32? Have you tried color heads? If I run a single jig, (1/32 or 1/16) I will add a #3 or #7 split shot about 18 inches above the jig I always run .8 -1.1 when long-lining. If the fish are shallow try adding a small cork about 3 ft above the jig, I have caught a heap of crappie using this method. I prefer hot pink, Florescence red and chartreuse colored heads.

Any more questions let me know.

Snichols1

Crappie can be one tough critter to figure out. From my experience what works one day might not work the next. So, be versatile and if what you’re doing ain’t working try something a bit different. Different color, different depth, different presentation, etc. I have tried vertical jigging and caught them and not caught them, tried casting and works some days and some not so. Get my drift? Don’t give up and think it is you. They are there and you just have to locate them and offer what they are hungry for at that moment.

Dialer

I took my kayak out to the pond yesterday amidst the families on their bicycles and walking their dogs....It seemed weird casting to a target only 1 foot from the road! But like Dutch says, they were all in shallow water near brush where I got the best hits. There was absolutely no size to any of them, but just the challenge of the strike kept me out there until dark. All fish caught were released, and I DID retrieve my wayward bobbers!