Fishing near Bryson City, NC?

ssramage

We're going to be in Bryson City next week and my boys are driving me crazy about wanting to go fishing. In the past we've fished in a trout pond up there, but it's pay by the pound and not catch/release. It gets expensive really quickly. Any recommendations for places to let them fish? Are we wasting our time this time of year with as cold as it is?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
We're going to be in Bryson City next week and my boys are driving me crazy about wanting to go fishing. In the past we've fished in a trout pond up there, but it's pay by the pound and not catch/release. It gets expensive really quickly. Any recommendations for places to let them fish? Are we wasting our time this time of year with as cold as it is?
You have Fontana Lake right there. Fish can be caught now, especially walleye and smallmouth and spots, but they're usually deep off rocky points. Your best bet would be delayed-harvest trout in the Tuckaseegee River that runs right through town. Warm afternoons, they will be hitting good. I'm not that far from Bryson, and it was 18* this morning.