Can you help with my confusion

bullgator

You were legal when you bought it. Sometime in April you’ll be a felon if you don’t have it registered……unless the courts or Congress get involved and allow you to remain legal as is.

Pretty clear, huh?

Adam5

I was taught or a least lead to believe that in America the U.S. Congress and State legislatures were the ones that made laws. How did Federal and State agencies and their bureaucratic heads obtain the power to make something illegal or legal? Or make a person a felon from a regulation not a law?

They aren’t making laws. They’re attempting rob circumvent Congress by changing definitions and interpretation of laws. They’re using the legal precedent that was set when the definition of a machine gun was changed to ban bump stocks.

rosewood

They aren’t making laws. They’re attempting rob circumvent Congress by changing definitions and interpretation of laws. They’re using the legal precedent that was set when the definition of a machine gun was changed to ban bump stocks.
A federal court has overturned the bumpstock ban. Have to wait and see if thr ATF appeals to Scotus now.

Skeeter XRi

ATF is taking cues from the EPA; no need to wait on congress to pass laws when they can push an agenda by making their own rules. Looking 10-20 years behind us, where would we be with coal/NG power plants, solar fields, wind turbines, and EV's if the EPA hadn't pushed their beliefs??? Whether or not you think we're in a better place now depends on perspective....

I think it was Reagan that said "If more government is the answer, it was a stupid question to begin with".

jim

rosewood

ATF is taking cues from the EPA; no need to wait on congress to pass laws when they can push an agenda by making their own rules. Looking 10-20 years behind us, where would we be with coal/NG power plants, solar fields, wind turbines, and EV's if the EPA hadn't pushed their beliefs??? Whether or not you think we're in a better place now depends on perspective....

I think it was Reagan that said "If more government is the answer, it was a stupid question to begin with".

jim
EPA also recently lost in court with the ruling against the Chevron Deference they used as their argument. It was West Virginia Vs EPA. SCOTUS ruled they couldn't make rules that had significant financial impacts (not sure of all the wording). This very ruling will be used against ATF when future cases get to SCOTUS. I suspect much of the ATF "rules" they made up will be eventually overturned. We just have to wait for them to make it thru the system. We have to be patient, but at the same time, keep on our congressman about the issues.

Rosewood

rosewood

Love or Hate Trump, the federal judges he put in place both in the circuits and at SCOTUS, has been a blessing for our Constitutional rights. We are gradually getting them back. It took decades to lose much of what we had, so it will take time to undo all of the bad decision that we are living with now.

Rosewood

Gator89

transfixer

GOA and FPC , as well as at least a couple others have lawsuits coming soon, and I read somewhere about a organization representing some Veteran's who are also filing suit,

bighonkinjeep

When they simply decide to use public funds to enforce some laws and ignore and change others without legislation, then it sounds an awful lot like taxation without representation....
Just sayin...

Geezer Ray

When they simply decide to use public funds to enforce some laws and ignore and change others without legislation, then it sounds an awful lot like taxation without representation....
Just sayin...
Sounds to me like Liberals doing what they do.