Cape San Blas/ Port St Joe Need Intel

tad1

Heading down Thursday, Friday, Saturday. Staying Beach side near the Cape entrance. Planning on surf fishing and doing some kayak fishing in the bay. May do a charter.
What biting down there?
I’m familiar with St. George Island, but not so much the cape
I need some Intel guys, spots strategies, etc. I am unabashedly cyber scouting!!
Thanks y’all! JT

Tugboat1

Put that kayak in at the inside bend at the stump hole at beginning of incoming tide. Fish the edge of the grass flats to the east. Keep moving east and you are bound to cross paths with tailing reds if you move progressively shallower as the tide comes in. I know most folks don't agree, but top water dog walking at any time will draw strikes. Who Dat spoons are a option I've had success with too. If you have a night time incoming this could be a good experience.
Another option is to wade fish putting in around 14th st. at night on the low tide. Walk out to the drop off and with a good headlamp you just may be surprised at the large tails poking out of the grass at the drop off. Follow the edge south towards the bridge. I've had trouble with artificials enticing a bite there but a cut bait, or better yet, a chunk of blue crab, can make the difference.

Last edited:

buckpasser

Awesome info, gettin excited bout some “dog walkin” thanks!
I’m hoping some pompano might be moving through too!

I’d love to know how it goes. Me and the kids are big into whiting and pompano surf fishing at Mexico Beach, but haven’t had any luck yet this spring. Good luck!

hawkeye123

Coming down there Sat , wish I was down rt now, pompano time!, fish bites & sand fleas, full moon will have em fired up, stump hole might be a good spot, surf should be right, water clear from what I'm hearing, bringing my yak also, surf fish am, bay fish pm everyday for a week!

Tugboat1

Coming down there Sat , wish I was down rt now, pompano time!, fish bites & sand fleas, full moon will have em fired up, stump hole might be a good spot, surf should be right, water clear from what I'm hearing, bringing my yak also, surf fish am, bay fish pm everyday for a week!
Last year the stump hole wasnt a hole but more like a sand bar. But that spot changes by the day. For pompano, scope out the park, you can get a good view at the public cross over of troughs along the beach for a ways.

hawkeye123

Last year the stump hole wasnt a hole but more like a sand bar. But that spot changes by the day. For pompano, scope out the park, you can get a good view at the public cross over of troughs along the beach for a ways.
Wish state park opened at 0700 instead of 0800, best pompano bite at first light, love to be able to fish bay outa yak at first light at state park also, best conditions for pompano is rt after full moon- check, clear water - check, some surf , not flat- check SW winds- wind outa SSE switching to SW wed to next Sat- Uncle Si would say"its on like donkey kong"

slow motion

Wish state park opened at 0700 instead of 0800, best pompano bite at first light, love to be able to fish bay outa yak at first light at state park also, best conditions for pompano is rt after full moon- check, clear water - check, some surf , not flat- check SW winds- wind outa SSE switching to SW wed to next Sat- Uncle Si would say"its on like donkey kong"
If you have an Florida State Park annual pass check into an after hours pass.

hawkeye123

20 -25 SE winds have made surf bout unfishable ..finally caught a pomp this am nice one 15" bout only one Ive seen..water super dirty & waves 4-5 ft..water in bay is good but too windy at state park to fish..wind shifting to S tomorrow & SW Wed & Thursday..only 10-15 mph..be good rest of week Screenshot_20240429_162034_Messages.jpg

hawkeye123

Just got back sat pm..was a week of couldn't get right..surf was high & dirty til tues managed a few pomps 7 for the week..kayak sprung a leak ..so wade fished twice at state park skunked for 1st time ever..Went out on a charter Thurs since no yak & fish were scattered after so much wind ,too calm & no tide movement..only put 5 in box..3 of us..reds were short & over & got on a good trout bite late all over, 5 were 22" to 26"..2 short flounders maybe 4 short trout ..caught more over than short..still a great time at CSB & PSJ!Screenshot_20240505_094744_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240505_094734_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240505_094753_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240505_094800_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240505_094800_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240505_094809_Gallery.jpg

Hit-n-Miss

The Earl Brinn Surf Rig​

The following rig I discovered on the Florida Surf Fishing Forum. It was posted by Earl Brinn in response to a fisherman that was breaking rigs during his cast. I like Earl’s Rig, it works well for me, and I want to share it here in the Tips section.
Most Pompano rigs found in stores are tied with 20 or 25 lb line, with a sinker of 4 - 6 ounces it is possible to break these rigs and send the sinker in any direction. Breaking a rig is both dangerous and expensive considering the cost of lead nowadays. The idea behind an Earl Brinn Surf Rig is to use a stronger main line and a lighter line for the droppers attaching the hooks.
The Surf Rig is constructed as follows:
1) Determine the strength of the main line by considering the weight of the sinker you will be casting. Use a line that will give you 10 lbs. of line breaking strength for each ounce of your sinker weight. (As an example if you use a 6 oz sinker then use 60 lb line for the main line of the rig. If you use 4 oz sinkers use 40 lb line.)
2) Use a 4 ft length of line to create the main line and tie a swivel at the top and a snap at the bottom.
3) For the droppers you can use a line strength and length of your choice. It is common for the droppers to end up 4 – 7 inches in length. So be sure to cut pieces long enough work with and tie the knots.
Note: The most recent rigs I tied I used 20 lb fluorocarbon for the droppers.
4) To attach the droppers to the main line tie an Overhand Knot in the main line 12 inches below the swivel. Do not completely tighten the Overhand Knot. Now from the swivel side of the Overhand Knot pass the dropper line through the loop formed by the Overhand Knot. On the snap side of the Overhand Knot tie a Uni Knot around the main line. Leave the Uni Knot loose enough so you will be able to slide it. Tighten the Overhand Knot by pulling both ends of the main line, then pull the dropper line from the swivel side of the Overhand Knot and slide the Uni Knot up against the tightened Overhand Knot. Tighten the Uni Knot, trim the tag end and the first dropper is done.
5) To attach the next dropper just repeat the process 12 inches below the first.
6) Finally add colored beads, if desired, and tie on the hooks to complete the rig.

tad1

Nice. My dad used to be a surf fishing guru. Invented his own pompano surf fishing rig that you can google. Search (Earl Brinn pompano rig). There is even an illustration in his handwriting.

That’s awesome! I found that rig quite a many years ago, probly on that same Florida fishing forum and even tied some up!

tad1

Sorry, I didn’t reply back earlier with a fishing report. We did pretty good in the surf first evening catching lots of whiting and a couple black drum . My buddy lost a pompano rt at the beach. Following a.m. put the kayaks in at the launch across from the stump hole. Was projected to be a fairly windy day. My non fishing buddy later relayed that after we launched the yaks, a fellow was wearing out the Pompano just across from us on the Rock jetty surfside throwing a pomp jig. The fellow was on his way to work and stopped to give em a go! He called his boss needing a cooler! He gave my non fishing buddy 2 of the pomp’s! Meanwhile In the bay I managed two nice but undersized reds, 4 flounder, all of them undersized, and a couple of feisty ladyfish. Another buddy got a keeper red and lost another good one. Buddy 3 also caught some undersize reds on gold spoon. (kind of wish we had stayed in the surf early, And hit the bay later). That afternoon we fished the surf and caught some more whiting, One of which was man sized!, And another black drum.
Next A.m. the wind was getting up higher. The surf already looked much rougher and discolored. We ran over to the jetty wall to see if we could catch any pomps , but alas, it was nothing but catfish and a small shark. However we did manage a 23” trout on a fish bite on the first cast! Then we headed over across the bay,( St Joe side) to do a bit of wade fishing. The fishing was slow but we did manage another decent trout, then I called it to go knock down some raw oysters, fish sammich, peel n eats , and a couple brews!
Sunday AM was double red flags in the surf so it wasn’t too difficult rolling homeward. All in all had a fantastic trip!

Attachments

• IMG_1727.jpeg
    IMG_1727.jpeg
    426.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1739.jpeg
    IMG_1739.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1741.jpeg
    IMG_1741.jpeg
    462.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1763.jpeg
    IMG_1763.jpeg
    499.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5908.jpeg
    IMG_5908.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 17

trial&error

I take my gear every trip, I almost never get to wet a hook. Always working on something or family obligations.