Careful out there with firearms

lampern

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Terrible ! Prayers for the family . I’ve preached gun safety to my daughter since she could walk . Because I had a feeling she would grow up a hunter . And she’s 18 now and I’m still preaching

tcward

Lord have mercy! That is so sad. Praying for this family. Guys safety comes first, the hunting is secondary

Jim Boyd

Horrific accident recently in SC while target shooting.

One bullet killed one child and badly wounded another.

My buddy blew his fathers foot off about a decade ago (with a .223) while at target range.

Guns don’t play and they have no remorse.

Please be safe.

MIG

Years ago, I was checking hunters (harvest, licenses, etc) near a hunting club gate. Two teenagers, probably 16 or 17, pulled up in an old open top Jeep. The passenger had a 30-30 rifle, butt stock in the floorboard, and was holding the rifle by its barrel. The muzzle was against his belly, just below the navel. I didn’t get a word out before I leaned over and separated him from the gun… I had noticed the hammer was pulled to the rear. When I opened the action I found a live round in the pipe. I’m not sure he’s forgotten the talking-to he got that day. I haven’t.

sea trout

2021 Turkey Challenge Winner 2022 biggest turkey ?
My heart goes out to them. Very sad to hear that story.

Once as a teenager I woke up in the huntin tent. Got dressed, and loaded the 30-30 magazine tube. I racked one in and went to lower the hammer and my thumb slipped and rifle went off. Luckily for me it went off in a safe direction but that scared me bad and I carry that moment through my adult life and preach it to the kids.

Almost shot my foot off racking a shell from the magazine tube of a 30-30 when I was 12 years old.

It was pointed in a safe direction away from people but I had it pointed a bit too close to my flippers for my liking. I never used the gun again. Safety-less hammer gun 30-30's are for cowboys and museums. Not a very safe firearm for a kid especially. Not sure what my dad was thinking.

Nicodemus

The Recluse
Staff member
Almost shot my foot off racking a shell from the magazine tube of a 30-30 when I was 12 years old.

It was pointed in a safe direction away from people but I had it pointed a bit too close to my flippers for my liking. I never used the gun again. Safety-less hammer gun 30-30's are for cowboys and museums. Not a very safe firearm for a kid especially. Not sure what my dad was thinking.

You wouldn`t like my Browning High Wall none at all then.

Browning Slayer

Official Voice Of The Dawgs !
He should be charged. Negligent Homicide.

ssramage

About a decade ago, I was almost shot (and likely killed) by a .30-30 being unloaded. My wife's uncle was showing off an inherited .30-30 to my father in law in their upstairs guest room. He was giving it to my FIL and showing him how to load and unload the rifle. He cleared what he thought was every round, but instead of easing the hammer down to neutral, he pulled the trigger on the last one. Yep, left one in the chamber and dropped the hammer...

The gun was pointed at the floor, but I was in the basement where me and my wife were living at the time. The round came through the floor, through our ceiling, and hit the wall...right where I had been standing 5 seconds prior. I had turned to walk out of the room and had made it a dresser length from where the round went through.

To top it off, the uncle has spent a career around firearms. Accidents happen but are 100% preventable. I couldn't imagine being the dad in this story.