Carving wood... I should probably stick to metal working!

Shadow11

I thought about giving wood carving a try, about a month ago.

I tried to carve an old man's face out of a pine knot that I found behind the house. My dad asked me "is that supposed to be Nancy Pelosi?" I said "No, it's you!"

I also tried to do a walking stick. It was supposed to be a snake on one side, and an old man on the other. The snake turned out ok I guess, but about half way through on the old man, he started looking like the devil, so I ended up going with that, lol.

I'm not giving up just yet, but I'll definitely be trying to keep my day job.

Screenshot_2021-03-04-20-05-42.pngScreenshot_2021-03-04-20-05-21.pngScreenshot_2021-02-01-11-08-18.png0301211524a.jpgScreenshot_2021-03-04-20-04-59.png0301211503.jpgScreenshot_2021-03-04-20-07-43.png0301211523.jpg

wvdawg

Staff member
Cool! Modern art right there! Keep at it!

Dr. Strangelove

Very nice! Keep it up!

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
I like the first one especially. It looks like I feel a lot of the time.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I like them.

GA1dad

I've only tried to carve once or twice,, and yours looks better than mine did!!

fishfryer

frying fish driveler
I like them,I try one myself time to time.

Jeff C.

Chief Grass Master
I agree with the rest of the Folks here, what you see as not so great, we see completely different. To me it appears as that was your goal to produce somewhat of a whimsical or freakish appearance.

I like them also.

Bkeepr

I love it! Your carvings are fun and unique, keep it up! You are onto something!

Hillbilly stalker

Man those look great ! My uncles used to carve wood spirits when they was squirrel hunting and leave them on fence posts and places for us chaps to find. You got talent man .(y)

madsam

You got it !!! Carving is like playing pool, some days your on and some days your not. What you have done so for looks good /cool !!!!

Shadow11

Well, y'all talked me into it. I decided to try another one. I already had this little poplar tree pulled up for a couple months or so. I thought it looked really neat, the way the roots went.

I tried doing a snake head on it this morning. I may sand the body down a bit and retry the scales. I think I'm getting better, but my problem is I shake too much. I'm always gouging into the wood, and having to fix things. It's still fun though!

Screenshot_2021-03-10-17-33-24.pngScreenshot_2021-03-10-16-59-12-1.pngScreenshot_2021-03-10-16-58-13.pngScreenshot_2021-03-10-16-44-51.png

killerv

the Ga national fair has a decent carving competition, they have interpretive categories, walking cane categories, etc....Pays really well too.

Redbow

Your carvings aren't bad at all I like them. Something different to me is always better, keep up the good work..