Case for Senior Assisted Quota Hunts

Do you approve of the concept of Senior-Assisted Hunts

• Yes

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • No

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

hoveysmith

At 79-years-old age is taking its toll. I am no longer able to do the physical tasks that I did just a few years ago when I could go on quota hunts as I recently did on my 21st hunt on Georgia's Ossabaw Island. Friend Roger Kicklighter who is ten years younger, partnered with me in getting to the island and setting up camp. We also got help from some who were more able than us in setting up and taking down. The problem is that we all will age and have a variety of ills. In my case it is a partial loss of balance which limits what I can carry and a reduction in leg strength due to poor circulation which restricts my ability to walk.

I am not the only one with similar age-caused restrictions. We hunters are few and getting fewer. About seven percent of the present Georgia population actually hunts. On this quota hunt out of 100 slots some 50-odd hunters checked in. Of these 50 the majority were over 50-years-old and at least three of us were approaching 80. I have no way of knowing how many potential hunters sighed up, but were prevented by health issues for themselves or their close relatives from attending.

Georgia presently has Parent-Child hunts where a parent goes with their child, but does not hunt - only the child may take game. What I propose is Senior-Assisted hunt where a senior hunter, say over 70, my bring a non-hunting companion (related or not) to help with the physical work of setting up camp and dragging-out game. I spoke with the Island Manager and other DNR personnel who administered the hunt and they said that they would have no objections to such an arrangement, and that a non-hunting camp keeper or non-hunting assistant was allowed under present regulations.

I do not know if this assistance applies to only those who may have handicapped driver's licenses or to the general public. In either case more publicity needs to be given to this fact or better yet, a Senior-Assisted hunting category allowed on general quota hunts for those who are physically struggling, but not presently confined to wheelchairs.

Such a formal designation may require legislative action. Whether presently needing assistance or not, present such a case at game meetings and at other appropriate forums to publicize this concept.

Wm. Hovey Smith is an outdoor writer and the author of more than 20 outdoor, and business books, a novel, and was a former podcast radio host.

DAVE

I don't believe there are any restrictions against having a non-hunting companion along with the hunter now. So, I don't see any need for any additional regulations regarding that subject.

ucfireman

I believe he is thinking of special "senior" quota hunts similar to a handicap hunt. Maybe easier stands, rides to and from and help getting the deer out.
I know Charlie Elliot has huts for their "learn to hunt" program. Maybe build some of those and provide rides to/from the huts for a specialty senior hunt.
I don't have any real issues with the idea as long as they don't convert a regular hunt to a senior hunt and take away the opportunities that already exist, just add a few more.

I will say I'm not a fan of the "ladies only" hunts. Seems a little discriminatory to me.

JustUs4All

Slow Mod
Staff member
Do you approve of the concept of Senior-Assisted Hunts

Yes, and that concept can be placed into action anywhere and any time. However, I do not approve of the concept of a special set aside for Seniors or anyone else. I am a senior and I feel very strongly this way.

Life ain't fair folks. Deal with it. Take whatever you have and run with it. I am fat and slow. I could not play professional basketball. I don't think there should be any special accommodation for me in that regard either.

Dustin Pate

Administrator
Staff member
I will say I'm not a fan of the "ladies only" hunts. Seems a little discriminatory to me.

There may be some "ladies only" but I think most of them are now Specialty Hunts. A Specialty Hunt is only for Youth (16 years and younger), Ladies, Disability License holders, Returning Georgia Veterans, Honorary License holders, and hunters over the age of 65.

I have no problem with them. My wife enjoys the extra opportunity to be in the woods and I see no issue with providing the opportunity to any of those groups mentioned.

treadwell

I just want to be able to park within 100yds of Wal Mart. Seems with all the additional parking places being taken for things other than "disabled" I'm getting pushed farther and farther away. Are we doing the same with our public land. If your truly disabled, I'm not apposed to having additional help, i.e. a golf cart to carry you to a special stand, but just because of being young, being female, (or minority status, or whatever, don't laugh, who would have thought who we, as a nation have bowed down to already) you can tag along just as easy on ANY NORMAL hunt, just apply just like I do and wait your turn.

GWH

I just want to be able to park within 100yds of Wal Mart. Seems with all the additional parking places being taken for things other than "disabled" I'm getting pushed farther and farther away. Are we doing the same with our public land. If your truly disabled, I'm not apposed to having additional help, i.e. a golf cart to carry you to a special stand, but just because of being young, being female, (or minority status, or whatever, don't laugh, who would have thought who we, as a nation have bowed down to already) you can tag along just as easy on ANY NORMAL hunt, just apply just like I do and wait your turn.
For me I don't have a problem parking in the pharmacy/online order spots, the only place I will not park is the handicap parking.

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist
There are all kinds of accommodations that can be made just as the folks on the island mentioned. If you have special circumstances just call the Game Management office and see what they can do to help. This applies to all hunts, so there's no need to create an exclusive opportunity (those already exist too as mentioned above with the specialty hunts).

Blackston

There are all kinds of accommodations that can be made just as the folks on the island mentioned. If you have special circumstances just call the Game Management office and see what they can do to help. This applies to all hunts, so there's no need to create an exclusive opportunity (those already exist too as mentioned above with the specialty hunts).
Not to derail this thread ... but me and my brother got picked for Chickasawhatchee, He’s got mobility issues ( 100 yd maximum walk , no climbing , no travel through thick rough terrain He’s got cerebral palsy) Could I call area manager and get some help ... I been kinda biting my nails tryin to figure out how this is gonna go ?

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Not to derail this thread ... but me and my brother got picked for Chickasawhatchee, He’s got mobility issues ( 100 yd maximum walk , no climbing , no travel through thick rough terrain He’s got cerebral palsy) Could I call area manager and get some help ... I been kinda biting my nails tryin to figure out how this is gonna go ?
I bet it would be worth a shot . They may have a area just for such cases . I know my local wma , West Point has a couple handicap areas that they can use a cart or something I believe .

C.Killmaster

Georgia Deer Biologist

Yes, I don't know all the details on how it works but we've put a lot of effort in the last several years to make things more accessible. Call the region Game Management office several days in advance and see what they can do to better accommodate him.