Cash transactions vs “pseudo” money?

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I hardly ever pay for anything with cash nowadays. Too much hassle. I usually carry a $20 on me for small purchases, but that's about it. My bills are all paid online, and I use a debit or credit card for most stuff. A plastic card is just as real as a piece of paper. Neither one has anything backing it.

elfiii

Admin
Staff member
Channeling my inner John Kerry - I was against it before I was for it.

I've always been a cash and carry guy until Covid came along. I still carry a C note or two in my wallet but everything else goes on the credit card that gets paid off monthly. The rewards points accumulated during the year almost pay for our annual vacation trip to Jekyll.

Stob

Useles Billy’s Uncle StepDaddy.
Everything Amex paid off each month. Times are reversing as a lot of new mom and pop shops only take credit/debit (no cash). Amex can hurt you here a little bit and thinking about switching to another card.

One person that does work for us prefers cash but he is about the only one. You can probably guess his line of work.

breathe in

I use a cc as much as possible. 2% on everything fidelity visa that goes right into my Roth IRA. no points or miles to worry about. paid off every month.

sleepr71

Cash whenever I eat out,when I get fuel in sketchy areas,and whenever I buy something that needs to be paid for “right now,in person”. I especially detest giving a restaurant server a credit/debit card..and having them walk out of sight with it.!! Not Naw..but..heck NAW..;)! The ONE time I had a debit card hacked…I am almost certain that is where & how it was hacked.. :(

oldfella1962

Cash whenever I eat out,when I get fuel in sketchy areas,and whenever I buy something that needs to be paid for “right now,in person”. I especially detest giving a restaurant server a credit/debit card..and having them walk out of sight with it.!! Not Naw..but..heck NAW..;)! The ONE time I had a debit card hacked…I am almost certain that is where & how it was hacked.. :(
As I explained in my "was I scammed" thread, one of three criminal investigations I am simultaneously involved in :mad: is a situation where there are only three possible locations if not people, because I only used the debit card at these three locations: a Walgreens, a Krogers, and a mom & pop Chinese take-out restaurant. So somebody was operating a card skimmer or something similar in one of these locations just prior to the unauthorized shopping spree. Between the county sheriff's office and the bank investigators working this case they should be able to come up with something - depending on the cooperation of the stores the bad guys patronized.

DannyW

As I explained in my "was I scammed" thread, one of three criminal investigations I am simultaneously involved in :mad: is a situation where there are only three possible locations if not people, because I only used the debit card at these three locations: a Walgreens, a Krogers, and a mom & pop Chinese take-out restaurant. So somebody was operating a card skimmer or something similar in one of these locations just prior to the unauthorized shopping spree. Between the county sheriff's office and the bank investigators working this case they should be able to come up with something - depending on the cooperation of the stores the bad guys patronized.
Don't count on it. My nephew recently had his 2023 Chevy Camaro stolen. He found it for sale on Facebook market place. It was positively his car because of some photos they took of the interior showed some unique things my nephew had in his car.

He gave this information to the police. Basically he put it on a tee for them...all they had to do was call the number and arrange a meet-up.

Six weeks later the insurance called him and sent him a check for the car. The police never even tried to find his car.

Since all this "defund the police" crap, it takes a murder or at least armed robbery for the police to react. And I can't say I blame them.

oldfella1962

Don't count on it. My nephew recently had his 2023 Chevy Camaro stolen. He found it for sale on Facebook market place. It was positively his car because of some photos they took of the interior showed some unique things my nephew had in his car.

He gave this information to the police. Basically he put it on a tee for them...all they had to do was call the number and arrange a meet-up.

Six weeks later the insurance called him and sent him a check for the car. The police never even tried to find his car.

Since all this "defund the police" crap, it takes a murder or at least armed robbery for the police to react. And I can't say I blame them.
I agree it's a sad situation. What good does it do for cops to risk life & limb arresting (often violent) criminals over & over when they are back out on the street soon anyway? Crimes of all types are "normalized" these days, but the property owners/crime victims get hammered just for laying a hand on the criminals! o_O The whole law enforcement/justice/penal system is upside down & broken beyond repair.

transfixer

I pay my bills online, direct with the companies I deal with, I always carry cash, I always have a few thousand in cash at home, I only keep in the bank what I need to pay bills with and pay for gas, ammo and firearm purchases are made with cash, groceries I buy with cash, I haven't flown in years, no need for me to worry about miles, anything else I don't necessarily want big brother to know I have I pay with cash, always have, always will, I don't use pay apps, I have one credit card, and a debit card, only use those when I have to, if I didn't have a least a hundred in cash in my pocket I'd feel naked,

Latest posts