Cat catching time

sprewett

@Doug B. I got my first trap out although it isn't necessarily what I had hoped. We got a BUNCH of feral cats running around one of them tore up my wife last night. She was trying to catch it to get her fixed. I told her I would handle it. So I got a box trap trap set. Gonna take em to the pound. Now if we can just keep our stupid cat out of it. I'll keep ya updated.

Doug B.

@Doug B. I got my first trap out although it isn't necessarily what I had hoped. We got a BUNCH of feral cats running around one of them tore up my wife last night. She was trying to catch it to get her fixed. I told her I would handle it. So I got a box trap trap set. Gonna take em to the pound. Now if we can just keep our stupid cat out of it. I'll keep ya updated.
Use sardines or something fishy smelling. If the possums don't get there first you should have them pretty quick!

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
Wow, maybe I should think of proof reading before hitting post.
If it bothers you it pretty easy to edit in case u didn’t know ! Nice possum by the way . If u want to edit anything hit the 3 little dots and arrow under your post .

Doug B.

There are a lot more silver foxes around than you may think. I didn't catch any in my coyote traps this year but then I didn't set many coyote traps this year because of all the rain.

But I did set a live trap here at my house a couple of years ago for probably a two month time period. I honestly don't remember how many possums I caught but it was way more than I thought I should have caught. I set it again a few months later and caught several more. Don't be surprised if you catch a few more. But I hope you get the cat!

sprewett

This year turned out to be kinda, well a lot of, flop to me getting into trapping. Single family income and I just haven't been able to invest in it like I would have liked. Please don't misunderstand me for complaining because I wouldn't trade my family dynamic for nothing in the world, my wife and I agreed when we got married 21 years ago that she would stay home when we had a child.
So fast forward to now trying to catch these cats, boy I really see what the fuss is about and I am just trying to catch some feral cats. I am super excited in the morning to check the trap just as much as pulling a top water bait across the river or sitting on a prime deer spot. I appreciate you guys being patient with me and I know trapping cats is far from what y'all do but I am getting to bask in a bit of the excitement anyway.

sprewett

Got the trap cleaned up from the Friday cat. Re set this afternoon with sardines. The anticipation is building. The cat I caught Friday didn't make it to the pound. Crazy thing when I set the cage down on a ledge to take him he ran with everything he had hit the back like a wild pig and flipped the cage off the ledge. Cage flipped and cat looked like a round fur ball doing gymnastics and the trap landed upside down so the door opened. Cat gone! Hopefully it scared him into the next county though.

Doug B.

Got the trap cleaned up from the Friday cat. Re set this afternoon with sardines. The anticipation is building. The cat I caught Friday didn't make it to the pound. Crazy thing when I set the cage down on a ledge to take him he ran with everything he had hit the back like a wild pig and flipped the cage off the ledge. Cage flipped and cat looked like a round fur ball doing gymnastics and the trap landed upside down so the door opened. Cat gone! Hopefully it scared him into the next county though.
Always let the trap be the end of the line for cats.

sprewett

Welp, got a zero last night. It was my fault. All the sardines were gonna. I had latched the bait box shut but something got its paw in the box pulled the sardines to the side and ate them all. Guess next time I will tie a single sardine by a string in the very center. Any advice on this part would be helpful because I'm not entirely sure it couldn't get to one tied in the center.

sportsman94

Welp, got a zero last night. It was my fault. All the sardines were gonna. I had latched the bait box shut but something got its paw in the box pulled the sardines to the side and ate them all. Guess next time I will tie a single sardine by a string in the very center. Any advice on this part would be helpful because I'm not entirely sure it couldn't get to one tied in the center.
So you’re saying they ate it from the outside of the trap? Or they came in and were able to get them from inside without crossing the trigger? Either way, I’d probably just poke holes in the sardine can and then they will have to work harder since they can’t just grab them. You could wire the whole can to the back of the trap

sprewett

Yep, they got to
So you’re saying they ate it from the outside of the trap? Or they came in and were able to get them from inside without crossing the trigger? Either way, I’d probably just poke holes in the sardine can and then they will have to work harder since they can’t just grab them. You could wire the whole can to the back of the trap
Yes sir they got to them from the outside. My trap is large. It is actually big enough ai can get my head and a shoulder in it to mess with. Wiring it to the box is a great idea! Plus I am thinking about putting chicken mesh around the bait box to keep paws from being able to get through.