Cataract surgery

TJay

Have any of ya'll had cataract surgery? I hate to do something like this right before deer season but I'm sick of this double vision. Hard to shoot iron sights, just a pain in the butt. How was it? How long was recovery? How far out did you have to schedule surgery? etc

WishboneW

Had mine done in 2018. First eye completed in April 2nd in May. Recovery time was short. Next day, however, still had to follow a medicine routine.

I still wear contact lenses for improved distance vision

patsam

Got mine coming up in September and October. I hate messin with eyes, but it's gotta be done in order to see crosshairs!!

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I had cataract surgery and a Toric lens put in my right eye one year ago this month. In early October I had cataract surgery and a regular lens put in my left eye. First thing I did was throw those everlasting glasses away, after I bent them double and broke them up to my satisfaction. Surgeries were totally painless. Worts part was getting the IV put in. I`m not particular fond of needles.

Doc said not to shoot a high recoil weapon for a couple of months, take extra care to keep dust out of my eyes, and wear good sunglasses when outside. He also advised against going to dove shoots that season.

Overall, it`s one of the best things I`ve done for my health and well being. You will be amazed at just how bright the sun is when you get those cataracts removed. I can now shoot my iron sighted rifles again.

Good luck.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
Oh yea, you will be prescribed a couple of kinds of special prescription eye drops, and the directions for their use. Do as directed and follow those directions. It helps a lot with the healing process.

WaltL1

Have had both eyes done. Quick, easy and painless. Eye drops for about 2 weeks after the surgeries, no bending over to pick up things etc.. Immediate huge difference in vision. As Nic said, make sure you do as directed with the eye drops after surgery.

fatback

I’ve had both my eyes done. One in 2014 and the other in 2019. Quick and painless. Have 20/20 vision now. Had to wear glasses or contacts for a bunch of years. Like the others have said, take all the follow up meds/eye drops and follow doctors instructions and you will be fine.

AceOfTheBase

Both mine were done in 2013, time flies, agree with all the above and don't miss full time glasses plus contacts, at all. Do use drug store readers for the fine print. Good luck & you'll probably see better in the wee hours.
I was seeing well within a few days.

DAWG1419

I had mine done last yr. One eye. Easy surgery. Easy recovery. You won’t regret it. The colors are very bright again. Noticed that on the way home. Nothing to worry about. I had the regular lens put in. Everyone I know that got the more expensive lens say they hate it. I say go for it.

NE GA Pappy

Mr. Pappy
the doc probably won't like you shooting a rifle for several weeks after the surgery. and remember, your eyesight is worth a lot more than missing out on one deer season. Do what the doc says.'

I had one eye done. No issues from the surgery. Just put in those eye drops like you are told to, and follow the other care instructions.

My right eye now sees different colors than my left. The light is much brighter, and the colors clearer. My left eye has a yellow cast to it when I am looking at colors.

Donal

I had both of mine done a the Berge Eye Center in Albany GA. My son's mother and mother-n-law had theirs done in Gainesville, GA. They can see better but still dont look good. I can see better and look good, too.

TJay

the doc probably won't like you shooting a rifle for several weeks after the surgery. and remember, your eyesight is worth a lot more than missing out on one deer season. Do what the doc says.'

I had one eye done. No issues from the surgery. Just put in those eye drops like you are told to, and follow the other care instructions.

My right eye now sees different colors than my left. The light is much brighter, and the colors clearer. My left eye has a yellow cast to it when I am looking at colors.
I'm hoping for an early window to get this done, if it looks like it won't get scheduled til late October I'll just wait til after Thanksgiving. I have a hunt scheduled in KY for the week of Thanksgiving that I cannot miss, too much invested.

Nicodemus

Old and Ornery
Staff member
I had both of mine done a the Berge Eye Center in Albany GA. My son's mother and mother-n-law had theirs done in Gainesville, GA. They can see better but still dont look good. I can see better and look good, too.

Doctor Garland at Berg Eye Center did both of mine.

georgia_home

Perfectly timed thread. My son, 15, has one. Got bad, fast. Dr appt this coming Tuesday.

mark-7mag

Useless Billy Director of transpotation
I had it done last year on both eyes. It was a breeze. Just keep up with which drop to put in which eye at what time . You'll be amazed at ho much better you will be able to see in the woods. Before I had the surgery it was like I was looking through a dirty window all the time.

TJay

I had it done last year on both eyes. It was a breeze. Just keep up with which drop to put in which eye at what time . You'll be amazed at ho much better you will be able to see in the woods. Before I had the surgery it was like I was looking through a dirty window all the time.
I'm looking forward to that! I went to the range today and looking thru my scope was like looking thru a dirty windshield.

TJay

Looks like I'm going to have the surgery. He said they would call me to schedule. I also have an astigmatism and he said they could correct that with the laser while I was there. He said they could probably correct the problem with glasses but the surgery was probably the best soulution for me. They are a ways out so the surgery would probably be in December. It sounds weird to look forward to surgery but I'm tired of blinking and squinting. And shooting the irons my sight picture is the bead and then a phantom image of the bead at 11 o'clock. Hopefully I'll know more soon.