Catfish

antharper

“Well Rounded Outdoorsman MOD “
Staff member
All I see is some mighty fine eating , congrats ! I see u from McRae , those come out of the river ? I’ve caught a lot out of the river on trot lines and limb lines but never tried noodles . Or you catch them by hand ?

Josh B

I love catching them but hate cleaning them. I throw them back most of the time. It's a lot of work either way.

Lukikus2

I have been mostly smoking them lately. Just gut it and throw it on the smoker. All the skin falls off and the meat falls off the bone. Taste pretty good with no fishy flavor. Fish tacos

I never tried that!

I 2nd fileting them when they are big enough. Nice haul!

Josh B

I can filet too when they are big. I had a stringer full of Chanel cats but they broke the stringer and escaped. This guy almost got away. Pulled the stringer out of my hand and I got lucky and grabbed it under the water. Up at lake blue ridge trying to catch a walleye but I’ll take whatever I can get.
IMG_7400.jpeg

Lindseys Grandpa

I saw a video of a guy cooking for flood victims . He filled a smoker up with good sized catfish skin on . Like OP said the skin came right off . I am gonna give it a try .

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I love catching them but hate cleaning them. I throw them back most of the time. It's a lot of work either way.
Catfish are one of the easiest fish to fillet that there are, at least channels and blues. Me and my buddy can fillet fifty or sixty in a few minutes. Flatheads take a little longer because they have a different bone structure, but still not bad at all.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
I can filet too when they are big. I had a stringer full of Chanel cats but they broke the stringer and escaped. This guy almost got away. Pulled the stringer out of my hand and I got lucky and grabbed it under the water. Up at lake blue ridge trying to catch a walleye but I’ll take whatever I can get.
View attachment 1306197
Don't forget that belly meat! That's freshwater halibut! Flathead belly is some of the best fish that swims.

NCHillbilly

Administrator
Staff member
Never had any fish better . Just remember to also remove the inner lining also .
Yep. The main key to me with catfish is to get rid of any skin, inner membrane, and anything red or yaller. Trim it down to white meat, and it's delicious.

Josh B

Anyone have any walleye tips? I have tried two different rocky points from 30 to 10 feet. Getting lots of bait under the boat but no bites. Seen a couple walleye swim by and some bass. I was told to use night crawlers. And I’ve put some live bream down. No bites other than I have put some catfish rods out. Seems to be plenty of cats in here.IMG_7399.jpegIMG_7397.jpeg